Confirmed with Link: Lindy Ruff hired as head coach of NJD

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Once they ran the gum chewer off the D sorta turned the corner, got better as partner communicating improved and Hank’s D preference quirks went away.

But he’s not a guy who adds 5% to a squad, let alone 10%. That is a squad that is lacking in talent that needs every boost it can get.

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I’ve never seen ever in the NHL a guy coaching one team while having been formally announced as the new head coach for another. Never. Actually in no sport have I seen a formal announcement during the season. So he can’t come back If NJ makes it official tomorrow
Well, none of us have ever seen a five-month pause of the season followed by this play-in shit before. So it would figure that you'd see some unusual things.

It does happen in college football pretty frequently.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I would imagine the Rangers have known about this for a while. They have a plan.
Of course. I think the second NJ approached and asked for permission to talk to Ruff, the Rangers started planning for the potential that he's not around to finish this out.

Reactions: bobbop

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Ruff was out of a contract this offseason, so of course the Rangers had to have known this was coming.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019

a16f59110c5931d2af578d69f53fc2fa.gif

Reactions: Kendo and Inferno

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
I’ve never seen ever in the NHL a guy coaching one team while having been formally announced as the new head coach for another. Never. Actually in no sport have I seen a formal announcement during the season. So he can’t come back If NJ makes it official tomorrow

Scott Frost did it in 2017, coaching UCF to their win over Auburn, after Nebraska had hired him a month earlier.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I’ll guarantee you one thing for certain. No one happier about this than David Quinn. You know Old boys club Lindy was forced on him. Now he can work with someone that knows what they’re doing.
While I like Lindy, I do agree with this too.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Once they ran the gum chewer off the D sorta turned the corner, got better as partner communicating improved and Hank’s D preference quirks went away.

But he’s not a guy who adds 5% to a squad, let alone 10%. That is a squad that is lacking in talent that needs every boost it can get.
I agree a position coach is only going to impact a team’s performance minimally. 5% sounds right to me.
What Ruff adds or subtracts, though, is hard to say.

We naturally tend to magnify the errors. But I’d also credit him, likewise, with the progress we saw later in the season after a lot of growing pains and personnel adjustments.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Why is Scott Stevens even being mentioned here? He hasn't coached in years and its not like its realistic or he has an amazing track record or something.

Hes being hired for the offense and transition game, which the Devils are built around

Crazy to say but the Devils of the future will be a far cry of the Devils from the past. High octane offense with a lot of transitional speed vs defensive grinders who hold teams in their zones for hours

He also comes with a track record of coaching some of the worst defensive teams of our time so yeah, bring on the new Devils.

Blackwood is straight up going to quit.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I don't think all the Rangers struggles on D this past year were just on Ruff...it was a young D with guys having to play above their heads often

That said I dont think Ruff particularly helped or was a huge asset back there either. Who knows, maybe the Rangers will suffer without his experience behind the bench but...maybe not, maybe it's a chance to get someone who can make more of a difference in there

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Well, none of us have ever seen a five-month pause of the season followed by this play-in shit before. So it would figure that you'd see some unusual things.

It does happen in college football pretty frequently.

yes I’m sure somewhere in the galaxy it’s happened but the major pro sports an official announcement before a team finishes? No way

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Alain Nasreddine will probably be available. Former defenseman, assistant coach of 5 seasons, short stint as interim head coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad