Confirmed with Link: Lindy Ruff hired as head coach of NJD

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Ruff is getting a lot of mileage out of a couple very good seasons with Buffalo and Dallas. He's a .500 coach when you don't put OT losses in a special category. And he showed me nothing as an assistant coach here.

In absolute fairness to Ruff, he took a small market team in Buffalo and cultivated one of the most exciting teams the league has seen without significant star-power.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
lmao, finally some hockey news. Are Debbies planning on getting more top 3 picks these coming years?

There are couple of "franchise" type talents out there ...

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Anyone check out Bryce Salvador's Twitter yet? Has he called this the greatest coaching coup in history yet?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
In absolute fairness to Ruff, he took a small market team in Buffalo and cultivated one of the most exciting teams the league has seen without significant star-power.

That was 13 years ago. The game has changed and unless he does (hes shown no signs of doing so either) this is going to end hilariously bad for NJ.

You're underselling how talented those teams were though. Their top 7 or 8 forwards were really, really good. Vanek and Briere were 100% stars at that point and Drury was a beast when he was there.

I can buy the argument that Laviolette wasn't really a fit for them (too intense for a team that has been caught in what seems like a perpetual rebuild) but Ruff isn't that guy either. I for one am more thrilled that it was NJ who hired him more so than I am that he is gone. We have problems on D which extend beyond him but also I'm damn happy that Gallant wasn't the guy they hired.

Adam Fox Time

Jan 1, 2020
lmao, finally some hockey news. Are Debbies planning on getting more top 3 picks these coming years?

There are couple of "franchise" type talents out there ...

Lindy Ruff is the Jeff Fisher of NHL coaches, I don't think they'll be getting any Top 3 picks with him.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
That was 13 years ago. The game has changed and unless he does (hes shown no signs of doing so either) this is going to end hilariously bad for NJ.

You're underselling how talented those teams were though. Their top 7 or 8 forwards were really, really good. Vanek and Briere were 100% stars at that point and Drury was a beast when he was there.

I can buy the argument that Laviolette wasn't really a fit for them (too intense for a team that has been caught in what seems like a perpetual rebuild) but Ruff isn't that guy either. I for one am more thrilled that it was NJ who hired him more so than I am that he is gone. We have problems on D which extend beyond him but also I'm damn happy that Gallant wasn't the guy they hired.

To be more clear, I am not saying Ruff is a good coach now, just that we are underselling his past success if we think he was a mediocre coach. Those players you mentioned developed under Ruff. Briere specifically.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
2 fans so they could double their fanbase.

They were pretty insistent on @bernmeister but we were able to talk them off of him thankfully.

Thank God we kept Bern.

What Ruff needs is a warrior like Staal, a veteran that could be a good mentor to the kids in jersey. I'm willing to pay the same compensation as above and maybe even kick in a $1,000 to help make it happen.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Not that I'm upset about this...but how do you hire a head coach who is working as a coach for a team who is still in the middle of their season?

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Not that I'm upset about this...but how do you hire a head coach who is working as a coach for a team who is still in the middle of their season?

my guess is his contract was going to end and Rangers told him they will not renew so he started looking and got the job with the Devils. To him job security was more important than a playoff and being used as a scapegoat.

Reactions: Kendo

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ

In absolute fairness, the only reason that happened was bc of one man. And his name is certainly not Ruff.

Ill give you a hint. His nickname is the dominator, has a slinky for a spine. In my opinion the greatest goalie ever

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
he wanted too much money/term
Doubt it. For starters, Laviolette had a year left on his Nashville contract. Ruff isn’t giving the Devils a blue plate special. I posted a month ago that Ruff and Laviolette were the front runners and once Fitzgerald was confirmed as the GM, he went with his friend. Makes sense on one level but I thought the match between Lavy and the Devils roster was really good.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
And he didn’t leave because he saw any writing in the wall or he was afraid to enter the COVID-19 bubble. He left simply because he got an opportunity to get one of the 31 coaching jobs available in the league. And I am quite sure the message from the Rangers was not ‘don’t let the door hit you in the ass’.

It’s like some of the other whipping boys on this board. A few haters whip up the mob and dominate the conversation.

There are some things I don’t like about Ruff but that’s probably true of 80% of the coaches in the league. I think he did a pretty good job with what he was given to work with. The biggest defensive problem the Rangers have (and have had) is a lack of commitment to team defense from the entire roster. That’s not on Ruff.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
my guess is his contract was going to end and Rangers told him they will not renew so he started looking and got the job with the Devils. To him job security was more important than a playoff and being used as a scapegoat.

Because Ruff likely had a clause in his contract that stated he was free to leave if he got a head coaching offer.

Thanks. Could totally be a clause in the contract. It just seems a bit strange to me, but I'm totally fine moving in a new direction.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
FWIW, Wysh on puck soup is saying it simply came down to Lav pricing himself out and Gallant wanted total control of his coaching staff, so they were left with Ruff.

It also didn't hurt that Ruff came much cheaper.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Doubt it. For starters, Laviolette had a year left on his Nashville contract. Ruff isn’t giving the Devils a blue plate special. I posted a month ago that Ruff and Laviolette were the front runners and once Fitzgerald was confirmed as the GM, he went with his friend. Makes sense on one level but I thought the match between Lavy and the Devils roster was really good.

I read somewhere that Laviolette wanted 5 mil per and it was too much for them, and that Gallant refused that job.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
FWIW, Wysh on puck soup is saying it simply came down to Lav pricing himself out and Gallant wanted total control of his coaching staff, so they were left with Ruff.

It also didn't hurt that Ruff came much cheaper.

Or it could just be that those coaches DONT want to coach the devs.
They will have much better opportunities to coach in the offseason

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad