Confirmed with Link: Lindy Ruff hired as head coach of NJD

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Yeah I think it was definitely reasonable to expect substantial improvement after two weeks of camp and three games.

(My shadow) yeah, it was Ruff’s fault this roster doesn’t play defense well. lol

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
(My shadow) yeah, it was Ruff’s fault this roster doesn’t play defense well. lol
Just watch the kind of D that Carolina plays. Their D are engaged, and their 5-man system is built around the Fs reading when their D are applying pressure (which is constantly), and filling in the holes so that there's no counterattack odd-man rush opportunities. FFS, Joel Edmundson, their Marc Staal, looks more engaged and dangerous than most of our D.

Contrast that with what we do. We still play like our Ds are an entirely different unit from our Fs. Our only D who really engage and get aggressive in the O zone are, surprise surprise, DeAngelo and Fox. Carolina has every single D applying pressure. We also cede the blue line and back in on our goalies, giving up grade A chances in the process.

Now, I don't know how much of the state of our D was really Ruff's "fault," but we have some really good talent back there. Albeit, there's trash mixed in as well, but I've always felt that we played worse than the sum of our parts on D. I personally think that goes to coaching.

In addition, and getting more to the point, I think it's ridiculous to expect 3 years of programming (how long Ruff was our D coach) to be undone in a couple weeks. The only pre-Ruff D on our roster are Staal (obvious) and Smith (TDL acquisition the season before Ruff got hired).

Ultimately, everything is going to fall on Quinn if he can't get things fixed, but I think Ruff was definitely part of the problem. We've been perpetual bottom-feeders in the D department for his entire tenure. A good coach is going to at least get mediocre results out of the units we've fielded. As I said previously, as crummy as our D roster has been, we've still played worse than the sum of our parts.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He is obviously not the only problem--Marc Staal sucks, Brendan Smith usually sucks, Brady Skjei was bad here all year, Trouba had problems adjusting, etc. There are clearly bigger issues than Ruff. But even if you're here just to make fun of people who think Lindy is more to blame than he really is, trying to disprove that belief by pointing to the results of two playoff games after a five month layoff--when the new guy hasn't even tried to install wholesale changes to the system--would still be pretty absurd.

So your point is that Lindy wasn't the main problem? Sure, that's fine. And your evidence is two games? LOL.

Reactions: haveandare

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Just watch the kind of D that Carolina plays. Their D are engaged, and their 5-man system is built around the Fs reading when their D are applying pressure (which is constantly), and filling in the holes so that there's no counterattack odd-man rush opportunities. FFS, Joel Edmundson, their Marc Staal, looks more engaged and dangerous than most of our D.

Contrast that with what we do. We still play like our Ds are an entirely different unit from our Fs. Our only D who really engage and get aggressive in the O zone are, surprise surprise, DeAngelo and Fox. Carolina has every single D applying pressure. We also cede the blue line and back in on our goalies, giving up grade A chances in the process.

Now, I don't know how much of the state of our D was really Ruff's "fault," but we have some really good talent back there. Albeit, there's trash mixed in as well, but I've always felt that we played worse than the sum of our parts on D. I personally think that goes to coaching.

In addition, and getting more to the point, I think it's ridiculous to expect 3 years of programming (how long Ruff was our D coach) to be undone in a couple weeks. The only pre-Ruff D on our roster are Staal (obvious) and Smith (TDL acquisition the season before Ruff got hired).

Ultimately, everything is going to fall on Quinn if he can't get things fixed, but I think Ruff was definitely part of the problem. We've been perpetual bottom-feeders in the D department for his entire tenure. A good coach is going to at least get mediocre results out of the units we've fielded. As I said previously, as crummy as our D roster has been, we've still played worse than the sum of our parts.

Part of the defense does include the forwards. When people blame Ruff for poor defensive play why does all the defense fall on his shoulders? The forward rarely back check. Besides Fast and Lemieux, both who are ironically absent, who at forward plays a tight game making it difficult for the opposition to both skate the puck up or battle in their end?

On the defensive end, look how many times a defender was stuck behind our net looking for the deep pass? Staal, Trouba and Fox were all seen stuck behind our net for a prolonged period of time looking for the breakout. Why the delay? B/c the opponents forwards shrunk the ice and they can’t find anybody.

League wide, the Rangers ranked 2nd to last in shots against. Why? B/c everybody is focussed towards offense and nobody is playing disciplined defense.

Quinn has a window. The developing kids have to learn defense and the culture of the team has to include accountability for your assignments throughout the ice rather than just offensively. Blaming Ruff? Please, the guy was a rugged defenseman.

Last edited:

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
So your point is that Lindy wasn't the main problem? Sure, that's fine. And your evidence is two games? LOL.

my point is the post above this one. Been driving that point for more than two games. You’ve shadowed me so often, you should have known.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

I think they said yesterday during the game that Carolina gave up more breakaways than any team in the league. I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure I heard that in the commentary. Also didn’t NYR D lead the league in points from a defense?

NYR D cede the blueline way too much for sure, that’s their biggest weakness imo. Trouba steps up now and then break up an entry at the blue line, but overall it’s not nearly common enough. Feels like we see teams break in effortlessly and then we’re struggling to establish anything in their zone. Not always, but it does feel like a theme. Would be interesting to see if data bears that our or if it’s a confirmation bias thing

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
my point is the post above this one. Been driving that point for more than two games. You’ve shadowed me so often, you should have known.
The concept of "team defense" is pretty well-understood and no one is going to give our forwards glowing marks on their defensive play. The defensive deficiencies exist way, way beyond that and will likely require a change in philosophy, a change in system, and some change in personnel. Again though, none of this is new.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
The concept of "team defense" is pretty well-understood and no one is going to give our forwards glowing marks on their defensive play. The defensive deficiencies exist way, way beyond that and will likely require a change in philosophy, a change in system, and some change in personnel. Again though, none of this is new.

thanks for yesterdays news although you don’t have Ruff to use as the scapegoat.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If I had to guess, there’s not a soul on this board that cares about your respect.
Man, I did. And I am DEVASTATED that some random schlub on the internet doesn't respect me. I mean, no kidding--it really ruined me. I may never recover. :(

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Man, I did. And I am DEVASTATED that some random schlub on the internet doesn't respect me. I mean, no kidding--it really ruined me. I may never recover. :(

Hang in there like Ruff. you can still shadow me like you have over the past year (including the nine months on ignore lol)

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Hang in there like Ruff. you can still shadow me like you have over the past year (including the nine months on ignore lol)
We were arguing about COVID like a month and a half ago. You haven't had me on ignore for nine months. I know you're getting senile and have a hard time staying awake through your broadcasts, but come on, man! As part of my shadowing, I'll poke you with a stick every so often to make sure you're still with us.

ANYWAY...moving on.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
We were arguing about COVID like a month and a half ago. You haven't had me on ignore for nine months. I know you're getting senile and have a hard time staying awake through your broadcasts, but come on, man! As part of my shadowing, I'll poke you with a stick every so often to make sure you're still with us.

ANYWAY...moving on.
0C75EBF6-C52A-4817-A7EB-C9092F4EB049.jpeg

hang in there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad