Confirmed with Link: Lindy Ruff hired as head coach of NJD

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
2 fans so they could double their fanbase.

They were pretty insistent on @bernmeister but we were able to talk them off of him thankfully.

Thank God we kept Bern.

What Ruff needs is a warrior like Staal, a veteran that could be a good mentor to the kids in jersey. I'm willing to pay the same compensation as above and maybe even kick in a $1,000 to help make it happen.

Thanks for the kind words.

I don't know if it's original, but John Lennon famously had a song, something like:
you don't know what you got
until you lose it

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
31 Thoughts: Fallout from a contentious NHL Draft Lottery - Sportsnet.ca

2. I think Lindy Ruff has a legit shot at the New Jersey coaching job. I had heard that external GM candidates asked the Devils to allow them some input, but a few people told me Ruff is very much in this picture no matter what.
No team should be eligible to move up to 1 unless they finish around bottom 4-6 imo. I hate the current NHL lottery system.

And if you've already won a lottery in the last 5 years you should either similarly not be eligible or you should be moved down a few spots in terms of lotto positioning in order to really hurt your odds

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
No team should be eligible to move up to 1 unless they finish around bottom 4-6 imo. I hate the current NHL lottery system.

And if you've already won a lottery in the last 5 years you should either similarly not be eligible or you should be moved down a few spots in terms of lotto positioning in order to really hurt your odds
I like it. f*** these teams and their fans that feel entitled to a high pick for sucking ass.

Reactions: Barnaby and jas

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Joni Mitchell...Big Yellow Taxi

Yeah, that I remember:
"you don't know what you got til it's gone".

According to this site, the song is titled "What You Got" and it is on the "Walls and Bridges" album:

the pertinent phrase is:
You don't know what you got until you lose it

here is the link:
John Lennon – What You Got Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

some reason it is not making the link...

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
From the Devils fans point of view.......somehow this hiring reminds me of the Jets hiring Gates just coming off abysmal seasons with the Dolphins. I mean, why? Good coaches are supposed to turn orginazitions around in an alotted time. Gates helped to make the Dolphins "even worse",so WHY would the Jets take him off the scrap heap? Similar to Ruff and his amazing success with the Rangers defense. True, thats on the players but....come on. Guess they are placing experience over actual success. Then again the Devils aren't anywhere NEAR being a winning team, so maybe it's because Ruff will lay good solid groundwork for these young players? I would think a younger inexperienced coach with a known penchant for communication would be the better of the two (like the Rangers did) but, what do I know?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
In absolute fairness, the only reason that happened was bc of one man. And his name is certainly not Ruff.

Ill give you a hint. His nickname is the dominator, has a slinky for a spine. In my opinion the greatest goalie ever

His best years came with Ryan Miller in goal. Most coaches do well with good goalies though...

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
His best years came with Ryan Miller in goal. Most coaches do well with good goalies though...

Untrue. His best year was when he made the Stanley cup final against the Stars and lost in 1998-99 season. His goalie then was none other than the goat in goal... Hasek. While his best regular seasons were from 04-06, his best season was the lose in the cup finals. I did the research before, hasak was the sabres goalie from I think 92-2001. Miller did not truly start for the sabres until 2004-2005. Miller did playe 18 games in 2 seasons from 2002 through 2004.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lias Andersson

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Untrue. His best year was when he made the Stanley cup final against the Stars and lost in 1998-99 season. His goalie then was none other than the goat in goal... Hasak. I did the research before, hasak was the sabres goalie from I think 93-2001. Miller did not truly start for the sabres until 2004-2005

If he's the GOAT shouldn't you know how to spell his name? It's Hasek.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
FWIW, Wysh on puck soup is saying it simply came down to Lav pricing himself out and Gallant wanted total control of his coaching staff, so they were left with Ruff.

It also didn't hurt that Ruff came much cheaper.
Wyshinski makes a living retelling what he reads elsewhere. Not much different than me. He’s a funny guy which is his saving grace but as far as I am concerned his reporting is a level above Eklund. Your money is better spent on The Athletic.

Ruff said in his press conference his first job was putting together a coaching staff. Doesn’t sound like that would have been a problem for Gallant. And Ruff (19 years of NHL coaching experience) isn’t working for free.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Wyshinski makes a living retelling what he reads elsewhere. Not much different than me. He’s a funny guy which is his saving grace but as far as I am concerned his reporting is a level above Eklund. Your money is better spent on The Athletic.

Ruff said in his press conference his first job was putting together a coaching staff. Doesn’t sound like that would have been a problem for Gallant. And Ruff (19 years of NHL coaching experience) isn’t working for free.
I'll be curious to see the terms for Ruff. I can't imagine he's earning peanuts, but at the same time, he's tied for the fourth-oldest coach in the NHL. I wouldn't be surprised if he took less thinking that if he waited around any longer, he may not get another opportunity.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Does Gallant have some skeletons in his closet? Is this a Ted Nolan type situation. He was the obvious hire.
i believe Ruff was always high on Fitz's list from their prior time together, Friedman reported the likelihood a few weeks ago

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->