Sportsnet: Liljegren among potential available Leaf players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Liljegren was never a Top 5 prospect, but should have been drafted somewhere between 6-10 (lower range is most likely).

He did suffer Mono which hurt his ranking, but his questionable IQ kept him from the Top 5. Comparables drafted within Top 5 Heiskanen and Makar which are definitely better, but the others drafted in the 10-16 range Foote, Brannstrom & Valimaki is debatable.

I still believe in his potential, but his struggles in the AHL could require the Leafs seeking alternatives if they need to win now.

Jesus....
2017 Draft Profile: Liljegren has top-three potential but may drop a bit

https://thehockeywriters.com/timothy-liljegren-maple-leafs-draft-steal/

Did Yzerman make the right decision to pass on Liljegren?

NHL Mock Draft 2017: Arizona Coyotes select Timothy Liljegren with the 7th pick

Latest On Timothy Liljegren's Draft Status
liljegrens.html

Here are just a few pre-draft articles...one from the Canes saying top 3...one from the Yotes hoping to grab him at 7....one from Tampa asking if Yzerman made a mistake taking Foote over Lil....one from pro hockey rumors saying Lil was ranked #2 behind Patrick.

Pre draft, Liljegren was highly regarded.

Reactions: simon IC

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Liljegren was never a Top 5 prospect, but should have been drafted somewhere between 6-10 (lower range is most likely).

He did suffer Mono which hurt his ranking, but his questionable IQ kept him from the Top 5. Comparables drafted within Top 5 Heiskanen and Makar which are definitely better, but the others drafted in the 10-16 range Foote, Brannstrom & Valimaki is debatable.

I still believe in his potential, but his struggles in the AHL could require the Leafs seeking alternatives if they need to win now.

Fake news - A year before the draft he definitely was in the conversation. Now did he fall back to a more realistic spot? Sure, but talent is there

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I believe he fell due to questions on his hockey IQ, Not talent. He was considered a good offensive D man potential prospect so the question is why hasn't it translated to the AHL level?

17 points in 44 games last year
8 points in 19 games this year
ECHL 0 points in 1 game last year

At this point, I would say his stock is down since he was drafted. I think there is a reason Sandlin is rated higher than Liljegren on affiliate prospects lists. Not sure what he is going to be if he cannot produce offence.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I believe he fell due to questions on his hockey IQ, Not talent. He was considered a good offensive D man potential prospect so the question is why hasn't it translated to the AHL level?

At this point, I would say his stock is down since he was drafted. I think there is a reason Sandlin is rated higher than Liljegren on affiliate prospects lists. Not sure what he is going to be if he cannot produce offence.

He was one of the better producing 18 year old AHL defenseman in league history.

Context is nice.

This year he was paired with Rosen as the top pairing of the Marlies and has done pretty well with a lot more defensive zone starts and among the best puck possession defenseman of the Marlies before suffering a high ankle sprain.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

What are you talking about? Liljegren has been hurt, he hasn’t really struggled at all. I’ve only caught a handful of Marlies games this year to judge, but he’s been good from what I’ve seen. He’s looked like a 19 year old d man who certainly has some warts but he’s special because he does some things you can’t teach. For that, at 19, you should still be optimistic.

Leafs would move him for immediate help because he’s not ready now, not because they don’t think he ever will be.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

I believe you're dead wrong....but instead of going around in twisty circles...i'll just post this.

2017 NHL Draft prospect profile: Timothy Liljegren dealt with health issues, but still has a lot to offer

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
It's pretty rare that you trade a talented player for mostly futures and you end up being better, at least right away. The idea is more about setting up yourself long-term with picks, prospects and essentially resetting your core, especially when Pietrangelo is set to make a lot of money in less than 2 years time for what is likely his "last" big contract of his career.

I don't see a trade between the Blues and the Leafs either unless the Blues would accept receiving mostly futures for either player. If they would rather make a pure "hockey trade", then we're not going to be good trading partners I don't think.

Armstrong is a damn good GM though so I think he'll make the proper decision with your team. Always seems to make good decisions, outside of being able to find a goaltender.

It's always nice to see thoughtful and insightful discussions that doesn't result in belittling a fanbase. Cheers!

Honestly no one is going to sell TOR a top pairing #1rhd for futures. Especially when your futures include 28-31st range first round picks.

You want top pairing its going to cost the following

Nylander\kappy sandin\liljgren 1st 2019 (+ if youinclude a cap dump. Zaitsev is a cap dump)

Torontos cap issues going forward are not any other teams problem there fore a cap dump will need to be properly compensated.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Honestly no one is going to sell TOR a top pairing #1rhd for futures. Especially when your futures include 28-31st range first round picks.

You want top pairing its going to cost the following

Nylander\kappy sandin\liljgren 1st 2019 (+ if youinclude a cap dump. Zaitsev is a cap dump)

Torontos cap issues going forward are not any other teams problem there fore a cap dump will need to be properly compensated.

What did it cost to get McDonagh and Karlsson?

When was the last time a defenseman with 1 year left on their deal was traded for a top line forward, a 22 year old with blazing speed (and on pace for well over 20 goals and 40 points) and a top prospect and a 1st? Let me know and I'll agree.

Last edited:

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Did you know that the best offensive defenseman of this generation had this stat line in his draft+1 year?

45GP 5G 5A 10 Pts

Ya, that darn Erik Karlsson was a disappointment out the gate, why couldnt his offence translate against men in the SHL?

Context is important, and you conveniently ignore it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He was one of the better producing 18 year old AHL defenseman in league history.

Context is nice.

This year he was paired with Rosen as the top pairing of the Marlies and has done pretty well with a lot more defensive zone starts and among the best puck possession defenseman of the Marlies before suffering a high ankle sprain.

I don't think that is swing any pendulum in his trade value. He was drafted as an offensive defenceman, if he does not show this in his first 3 years in the AHL, he is in his second. How is his value going up? Listening to Leafs fans oversell his abilities?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I don't think that is swing any pendulum in his trade value. He was drafted as an offensive defenceman, if he does not show this in his first 3 years in the AHL, he is in his second. How is his value going up? Listening to Leafs fans oversell his abilities?
Because while his offense may have dipped, his defense is much better...which is exactly what's being asked of him.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

It does though? You said why doesn't he produce more and I told you why. Historically, the AHL isn't an easy league to produce in as a teenager and Liljegren has produced among the best.

His development has been encouraging based on his usage and nothing suggests he has regressed in anyway. This isn't to say he doesn't have his deficiencies in his game and he's not perfect, as is with most prospects.

If you think this is me overselling on his abilities, I don't know what to tell you as someone that has watched many Marlies games over the past 5 years. How many games have you seen?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Jesus....
2017 Draft Profile: Liljegren has top-three potential but may drop a bit

https://thehockeywriters.com/timothy-liljegren-maple-leafs-draft-steal/

Did Yzerman make the right decision to pass on Liljegren?

NHL Mock Draft 2017: Arizona Coyotes select Timothy Liljegren with the 7th pick

Latest On Timothy Liljegren's Draft Status
liljegrens.html

Here are just a few pre-draft articles...one from the Canes saying top 3...one from the Yotes hoping to grab him at 7....one from Tampa asking if Yzerman made a mistake taking Foote over Lil....one from pro hockey rumors saying Lil was ranked #2 behind Patrick.

Pre draft, Liljegren was highly regarded.

Early observations mean little when there is an entire season to evaluate the progress.

Liljegren cannot be that good if the Leafs are willing to offer in a trade. They biggest area of weakness is RHD, there is nobody decent on the NHL or AHL team in this role. Sandin is a LHD.

Teams trade surplus players for areas of weakness. Leafs need a RHD and rumoured moving Liljegren is a huge warning there is something wrong.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
If the Leafs were to get this experienced therefore expensive Dman, they have to trade away an equal of cap.
But does anyone really believe getting this magically RHD such as Pietrangelo is really going to chance the Leafs fortunes.
This RHD fascination as the solution to the Leafs getting further in the playoffs is really nonsense.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Besides being a LHD I prefer Sandin to Lil.

I don’t think we should be trading for rentals though. Unless it’s a great deal or a player with term no way should we be trading 1st and Lil for a rental, the teams just not ready to compete yet and this is not and should not be an all in year. We are not the favourites or top team and even adding a RHD, Tampa and Washington are still better teams.

Build this thing through the system and do it right for once PLEASE leafs.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Besides being a LHD I prefer Sandin to Lil.

I don’t think we should be trading for rentals though. Unless it’s a great deal or a player with term no way should we be trading 1st and Lil for a rental, the teams just not ready to compete yet and this is not and should not be an all in year. We are not the favourites or top team and even adding a RHD, Tampa and Washington are still better teams.

Build this thing through the system and do it right for once PLEASE leafs.
Dubie is in charge. You don't need to worry.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Early observations mean little when there is an entire season to evaluate the progress.

Liljegren cannot be that good if the Leafs are willing to offer in a trade. They biggest area of weakness is RHD, there is nobody decent on the NHL or AHL team in this role. Sandin is a LHD.

Teams trade surplus players for areas of weakness. Leafs need a RHD and rumoured moving Liljegren is a huge warning there is something wrong.

Or, as a contender, Lilly is the single most valuable trade piece that doesnt pull contributing players off the roster?

Kapanen and AJ are other obvious choices, but their contribution at a relatively lower cap hit (following their upcoming re-signing) is more valuable than Lilly being a top 4 D a few years down the line.

With that said, Im not a big supporter of dealing Liljegren and unless there is a big fish coming back with term I dont think its worth it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Did you know that the best offensive defenseman of this generation had this stat line in his draft+1 year?

45GP 5G 5A 10 Pts

Ya, that darn Erik Karlsson was a disappointment out the gate, why couldnt his offence translate against men in the SHL?

Context is important, and you conveniently ignore it.

Karlsson had 11 pts in 12 AHL games out of the gate. But you are counting NHL games to make a point when Liljegren has played none. This is probably the worst misrepresented post I have seen in awhile. And you thought people would actually buy this, which makes this a hilarious post.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Karlsson had 11 pts in 12 AHL games out of the gate. But you are counting NHL games to make a point when Liljegren has played none. This is probably the worst misrepresented post I have seen in awhile. And you think people would actually buy this is hilarious.

Im referring to his draft + 1 year in the SHL. Nice try though. Teenagers do not produce in mens league very often.

Lillys 17Pts in 44 games was 6th all time U19 in the AHL, and only the 2nd time since 2000. The fact that you use his stat line as a way to criticize him is ridiculous, and pretty ignorant.

Last edited:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Oh my God...why are people reaching so hard?? You literally said "Liljegren was never considered a top 5 pick"...now it's "early evaluations mean little"? Well when the Hell do you think people evaluate prospects if not before the draft?
As to must not be good because the Leafs are moving him"...Ya, Forsberg sucks....Seguin sucks....Hamilton sucks....Hall sucks. Seriously, what the f*** are you talking about? Teams move good young pieces all the time for pieces to help them win now.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Dubie is in charge. You don't need to worry.

I hope you’re right. Moments where I have full confidence in him and moments where not so much. That Nylander situation will always be a black spot for me regardless how he rebounds (cause I know he will). My issue isn’t with the players skill it was with his attitude and obvious character.

He screwed it up royally. Overpaid, caved, told him he won’t be traded and dragged it on to throw him in cold with no preseason and games missed.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I believe you're dead wrong....but instead of going around in twisty circles...i'll just post this.

2017 NHL Draft prospect profile: Timothy Liljegren dealt with health issues, but still has a lot to offer

No I am dead right. You are wrong. I follow prospects closer than most here. And it was in part to Liljegren's hockey IQ that caused him to drop.

Liljegren's stock dropped like a stone over the course of the season, but the guy has talent. Sure, he's a bit of a mess defensively, but remember, his elite skating, agility and edgework had some ranking him No. 2 overall to start this past season. He's that good. Scouts are mixed on his hockey IQ, though -- there still seem to be more hiccups than brilliant plays.
A skilled offensive defenseman with excellent skating skills. The way he combines his speed with strong puck handling skills makes him a quite spectacular player to watch. Decision making is at times a bit questionable and there is some room for improvement when it comes to his defensive game.

Timothy Liljegren at eliteprospects.com

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
I hope you’re right. Moments where I have full confidence in him and moments where not so much. That Nylander situation will always be a black spot for me regardless how he rebounds (cause I know he will). My issue isn’t with the players skill it was with his attitude and obvious character.

He screwed it up royally. Overpaid, caved, told him he won’t be traded and dragged it on to throw him in cold with no preseason and games missed.
We have differing opinions on this.

I think both sides did well.

Reactions: Leafs87

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Surprised they would trade their best prospect. I think they are contenders but if I was them I wouldnt throw my best prospects out to try to get in front of Boston, TB. No guarantee it will work. Feels like something their old regime would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad