Sportsnet: Liljegren among potential available Leaf players

Status
Not open for further replies.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
OK correct, so Hainsey could be off the team when Seattle does their ED, unless we resign him and hence, no connection between Liljegren not playing and an expansion draft maneuver.

Ideally, you'd think we'd want to give Liljegren some NHL minutes this year to see what he have in him and give him NHL exposure. IF Liljegren is our solution on the blueline, there's going to be a lot of pressure on him next year if he steps into the lineup as a starter.

If he plays a certain number of games this season and next he is draft eligible. If they sit him he should be exempt.

Hence, manoeuvre.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
It liljegren was half of what Some here we’re claiming he wouldn’t be on the block. Are you really gonna make me go back in the prospect thread because I really don’t have time?

“Only reason liljegren didn’t to second overall was because he had mono!” Was the narrative last summer. Clearly a horrible take that was laughed at then and chalked up to “leaf hate”
Pre draft/pre mono pro scouts and hockey analysts had him as high as #3. You should hit the old twitter machine and start telling guys like Bobby Mac how stupid they were.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Pre draft/pre mono pro scouts and hockey analysts had him as high as #3. You should hit the old twitter machine and start telling guys like Bobby Mac how stupid they were.

So you still believe that he would’ve went second overall if he didn’t have mono??? WOW :laugh:

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
So you still believe that he would’ve went second overall if he didn’t have mono??? WOW :laugh:
uh no, he is stating that, that is where the experts had him pre-draft. Do you read? Or just make up what the other person is saying and then respond to him? Must be fun, all the interesting conversations you must have.....with no one!

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
uh no, he is stating that, that is where the experts had him pre-draft. Do you read? Or just make up what the other person is saying and then respond to him? Must be fun, all the interesting conversations you must have.....with no one!

He’s defending the take leaf fans on here had which was ridiculous and untrue. He fell because of shitty play. Not mono. Sorry.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
He’s defending the take leaf fans on here had which was ridiculous and untrue. He fell because of ****ty play. Not mono. Sorry.

And as we saw from the return to form post draft- the shitty play was largely caused by the after effects of the mono.

Would he have gone second? No.
Should he go second in a redraft? No.
Would he have been available at 17 had he not gotten sick? Also no.

The last statement does not imply the 1st two, nor is is it mutually exclusive.

PromoterDave

Apr 22, 2016
Toronto
I wouldn't trade Liljegren if I were the Leafs. Lets stick to developing and drafting our own talent. That strategy has been working. Trading and signing Free agents hasn't really worked out besides Signing Tavares in free agency or trading for Freddy

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Leafs fans:

Which current Oilers roster defensemen would you accept in a trade for Liljegren?

We have Klefbom, Nurse, Larsson who must be close in value.
Klefbom for me, followed by Larsson...then Nurse. That said, i'd like to keep Liljegren.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I know that is the order of their value.

Would you do Larsson for Liljegren + a forward prospect?
Depends on the prospect...but at least Larsson is a RHD and (in my opinion) pretty solid on the defense end, so that's a step in the right direction on this site.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I just do not see a trade with the Leafs that involves Parayko or even Pietrangelo. I just don't see how the Blues will end up a better team in any transaction with the Leafs. I say that with all due respect. Along those lines, I would like to thank the many Leaf fans who have maintained discussions with us with knowledgeable and insightful contributions. I think that Leaf fans get judged unfairly, just because they are a large and diverse fanbase.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Blues fans easily decline. Zaitsev is a cap dump...and then you ask for retention?
Look at the structure of the cap dump and retention. It is and it isn’t. It’s a wash. It helps with your hole you are in signing your young stars until Marleau is off the books + 2 years to take a big run at it with Petro at 4.5 million basically

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
He’s defending the take leaf fans on here had which was ridiculous and untrue. He fell because of ****ty play. Not mono. Sorry.

Liljegren was never a Top 5 prospect, but should have been drafted somewhere between 6-10 (lower range is most likely).

He did suffer Mono which hurt his ranking, but his questionable IQ kept him from the Top 5. Comparables drafted within Top 5 Heiskanen and Makar which are definitely better, but the others drafted in the 10-16 range Foote, Brannstrom & Valimaki is debatable.

I still believe in his potential, but his struggles in the AHL could require the Leafs seeking alternatives if they need to win now.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I just do not see a trade with the Leafs that involves Parayko or even Pietrangelo. I just don't see how the Blues will end up a better team in any transaction with the Leafs. I say that with all due respect. Along those lines, I would like to thank the many Leaf fans who have maintained discussions with us with knowledgeable and insightful contributions. I think that Leaf fans get judged unfairly, just because they are a large and diverse fanbase.

It's pretty rare that you trade a talented player for mostly futures and you end up being better, at least right away. The idea is more about setting up yourself long-term with picks, prospects and essentially resetting your core, especially when Pietrangelo is set to make a lot of money in less than 2 years time for what is likely his "last" big contract of his career.

I don't see a trade between the Blues and the Leafs either unless the Blues would accept receiving mostly futures for either player. If they would rather make a pure "hockey trade", then we're not going to be good trading partners I don't think.

Armstrong is a damn good GM though so I think he'll make the proper decision with your team. Always seems to make good decisions, outside of being able to find a goaltender.

It's always nice to see thoughtful and insightful discussions that doesn't result in belittling a fanbase. Cheers!

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Liljegren was never a Top 5 prospect, but should have been drafted somewhere between 6-10 (lower range is most likely).

He did suffer Mono which hurt his ranking, but his questionable IQ kept him from the Top 5. Comparables drafted within Top 5 Heiskanen and Makar which are definitely better, but the others drafted in the 10-16 range Foote, Brannstrom & Valimaki is debatable.

I still believe in his potential, but his struggles in the AHL could require the Leafs seeking alternatives if they need to win now.

He has not struggled in the AHL though. I'm not sure why this is something that keeps going around.

The only reason he's remotely available is because the Leafs would want a top defenseman to help them now for obvious reasons but nothing suggests he's available due to him struggling or anything related to that. Had he not gotten injured, there's a strong possibility he would have been called up by the Leafs.

We have to give to get and that's what it costs sometimes.

Reactions: LeafGrief

Jags68

Oct 16, 2017
Was this kid just a victim of Leafs media hype? I remember the media clamouring over this kid, totally forgot he was still around.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Was this kid just a victim of Leafs media hype? I remember the media clamouring over this kid, totally forgot he was still around.
He is still a very good prospect. He has just had a few unfortunate injuries this year so hasn't really had a lot going on to talk about. He has 8 points in 19 games as a 19 year old in the AHL. That is excellent.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

He's pretty good. Top pairing defenseman as a 19 year old in the AHL and doing very well.

Reactions: Jags68
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad