Sportsnet: Liljegren among potential available Leaf players

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Trying to understand your thought process???

Top 3–>Drafted 17–>
Offence—>Defence—>Tradable—>WTF?

I think you’re blind in your opinions.

You can’t even explain why he’s struggling. Leafs won’t go far without a decent RHD, they could have at least elevate to improve his trade value. He’s headed to bust level if Sandin which is a smaller player and less tools has already passed him.
Kylington was considered a top 10 pick But fell too for the same reasons Lilegren fell. Scouts questioned his hockey IQ. The mono excuse really is not one that is plausible. The entire scouting community knew this. Would have factored this in. Just as when Galchenyuk had a broken leg and missed his year. But was still picked 3OA. Not sure what the relevance @Liferleafer keeps bringing up Lilegren was once highly regarded. It's just making the point Sandin has passed him more due to his stagnant trade value.

Reactions: Patagonia

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Kylington was considered a top 10 pick But fell too for the same reasons Lilegren fell. Scouts questioned his hockey IQ. The mono excuse really is not one that is plausible. The entire scouting community knew this. Would have factored this in. Just as when Galchenyuk had a broken leg and missed his year. But was still picked 3OA. Not sure what the relevance @Liferleafer keeps bringing up Lilegren was once highly regarded. It's just making the point Sandin has passed him more due to his stagnant trade value.
More bullshit....yipee!!

You just keep doing you brother.:thumbu:

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
More bull****....yipee!!

You just keep doing you brother.:thumbu:

Well he's got a point. Sandin has arguably passed Liljegren in value, he was better at 18 than Timmy was. But Timmy was pretty damn good at 18, and even better at 19. Sandin must be one hell of a prospect!

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
RHD is the biggest weakness on the Leafs. They don’t even have any decent prospects in the system for this role. Trade rumours are for the Leafs to shore up their RHD.

I think every team knows Leafs weakness and would consider Liljegren untouchable. Yet, here we are, fans are still trying to justify his immense value.

The actions of him being available regardless of any of our opinions is fairly clear, he’s headed to being a bust. Trade him now before he loses more value. If you can’t even acknowledge an Offensive DMan is suddenly a Defensive players is too obvious he is regressing.

NHL Scouts might have been right about his IQ and passed on him with multiple DMen for a supposedly Top 3 prospect.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
RHD is the biggest weakness on the Leafs. They don’t even have any decent prospects in the system for this role. Trade rumours are for the Leafs to shore up their RHD.

I think every team knows Leafs weakness and would consider Liljegren untouchable. Yet, here we are, fans are still trying to justify his immense value.

The actions of him being available regardless of any of our opinions is fairly clear, he’s headed to being a bust. .

It's rare on these boards that we see such a humble and profoundly self aware avatar.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
Here's a fun one...

1. Who is his comparable? Some believe the 6-foot Swede can become another Drew Doughty, the 2016 Norris Trophy winner.
    How are they similar? Many scouts love Liljegren because of his smooth skating stride, especially when handling the puck out of the zone. Few in the NHL do that better than Doughty. Liljegren has as much or more offensive skill as any D-man in this draft.
    Will he be better? Liljegren saw his stock fall some after a rocky season in Sweden that saw him miss two months with mononucleosis. Doughty went second overall in the 2008 draft, and it's doubtful Liljegren will go that high in Chicago Friday night. But make no mistake, he'll go in the first round to some team and should be in the top 10.
    Liljegren has a big slap shot and should be a good power-play quarterback in the NHL. As good as Doughty? Probably not, but there's a chance.

wow another profile that doesnt say he's top 3. Like i said before, not sure what you're arguing at this point

Reactions: Patagonia

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
It's rare on these boards that we see such a humble and profoundly self aware avatar.

Doesn’t matter what we think.

Actions of him being available is loud and clear. There is something wrong. I commend the Leafs for recognizing a problem and consider a move when his value remains high.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
wow another profile that doesnt say he's top 3. Like i said before, not sure what you're arguing at this point
Same could be said for you....seems all Leafs fans do is debate with Habs fans in Leafs threads lately, if you guys like the Leafs so much...welcome to Leafs Nation!!

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Well he's got a point. Sandin has arguably passed Liljegren in value, he was better at 18 than Timmy was. But Timmy was pretty damn good at 18, and even better at 19. Sandin must be one hell of a prospect!
The bullshit comment was in regards to Liljegren's "stagnate trade value". Must be contagious...because guys like Muzzin/Hamilton/Simmonds are all rumored to be available...yet no trades? Seems they've all caught a case of stagnate trade value....hope there's some cream they can rub on it....

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Actions of him being available is loud and clear.

Accepting that there is any reality to Kypreos' speculation, the only loud and clear message is that there is something that they seriously want.

"Then you have to consider how unconscionably stupid it is to take the speculation "They want thing A, thing A is super expensive, they might be willing to pay Thing B" and conclude it means that thing B is of low value"

If you want a house bad enough that you're willing to liquidate a portion of your RRSP portfolio to get it it does not mean that you don't value that portion of your portfolio. It means that you really want the house, bad enough to forgo a valued investment.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Accepting that there is any reality to Kypreos' speculation, the only loud and clear message is that there is something that they seriously want.

"Then you have to consider how unconscionably stupid it is to take the speculation "They want thing A, thing A is super expensive, they might be willing to pay Thing B" and conclude it means that thing B is of low value"

If you want a house bad enough that you're willing to liquidate a portion of your RRSP portfolio to get it it does not mean that you don't value that portion of your portfolio. It means that you really want the house, bad enough to forgo a valued investment.

I don't think you're talking to someone who knows what an RRSP is. Know your audience, try to make that same analogy with Fortnite skins.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The bull**** comment was in regards to Liljegren's "stagnate trade value". Must be contagious...because guys like Muzzin/Hamilton/Simmonds are all rumored to be available...yet no trades? Seems they've all caught a case of stagnate trade value....hope there's some cream they can rub on it....

I just love how high @The Winter Soldier is on Sandin. I mean, given Liljegren's impressive pedigree/performance to date and the Leafs NHL plans for him this season, if Sandin is better we must be in pretty good shape with two stud prospects

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
Same could be said for you....seems all Leafs fans do is debate with Habs fans in Leafs threads lately, if you guys like the Leafs so much...welcome to Leafs Nation!!

im disputing that liljegren was ever the top 3 prospect you described him and am seeking some evidence besides one canes blog calling him as top 3 and then then a bunch of random profiles that have him between 8-16

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Doesn’t matter what we think.

Actions of him being available is loud and clear. There is something wrong. I commend the Leafs for recognizing a problem and consider a move when his value remains high.
I feel bad for the Habs....full of players with something wrong....Drouin...Domi....Weber....Petry...all players made available by their former teams.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

This is not to liquidate your future for a Cup.

Liljegren due to the lack of depth should be their most important prospect. This is not a slight against Sandin or any other prospect. It's just the needs of the team far outweigh his skill level. He shouldn't be made available unless it's stunningly stupid offer or a replacement becomes available.

Notwithstanding, until this happens any discussions surrounding him should have been squashed immediately. He is more valuable to the Leafs than in a trade. So the matter of being available and teams know their needs would only devalue his worth even further.

There is either a problem with the player or upper management not shutting down the rumours.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
im disputing that liljegren was ever the top 3 prospect you described him and am seeking some evidence besides one canes blog calling him as top 3 and then then a bunch of random profiles that have him between 8-16
Tell you what...i will take the bullet, must have been my fuzzy memory, not like we Leafs fans were hoping to tank to get him being RHD was our biggest need....not like we followed his draft pedigree every step of the way......it was 8-16. Now run along.

oh...and for poops and giggles:
Prospect of Interest: The 411 on Timothy Liljegren - Sportsnet.ca
Back in November, Liljegren sat at No. 2 in Jeff Marek’s 2017 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings with scouts viewing him as the definitive second overall behind only Nolan Patrick at the time. He has since fallen outside the top 10 in most mock drafts you’ll see and, although he’s a lock for the first round, it seems like there’s a chance he won’t be selected until the second half of the opening round.

Last edited:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
This is not to liquidate your future for a Cup.

Liljegren due to the lack of depth should be their most important prospect. This is not a slight against Sandin or any other prospect. It's just the needs of the team far outweigh his skill level. He shouldn't be made available unless it's stunningly stupid offer or a replacement becomes available.

Notwithstanding, until this happens any discussions surrounding him should have been squashed immediately. He is more valuable to the Leafs than in a trade. So the matter of being available and teams know their needs would only devalue his worth even further.

There is either a problem with the player or upper management not shutting down the rumours.
Well no shit! that's why he's still here.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I just love how high @The Winter Soldier is on Sandin. I mean, given Liljegren's impressive pedigree/performance to date and the Leafs NHL plans for him this season, if Sandin is better we must be in pretty good shape with two stud prospects
Well Sandin was not in the 2017 draft. But Brannstrom, Valimaki and Vaakanainen all were. Brannstrom is rated #11 on TSN's affiliate top prospects list, Vaakanainen #31. Liljegren did not make the list. Valimaki is already in the NHL with the 2nd best team in the NHL which automatically puts him ahead of Liljegren. If we are discussing trade value, GM's would rate Brannstrom, Valimaki and Vaakanainen higher than Liljegren right now too. This is the topic. Not Sandin.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

.... You mean in a move for a top pair RHD? Like was speculated.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
@The Winter Soldier I'm actually pretty sure the topic is Liljegren, but appreciate the Sandin love!

Still the wrong topic. If you want to start a Sandin thread on the main board, on second thought do us a favour and keep that on the Leafs board. But if you ask me nicely to comment, I may.

As for the point of this thread. It does not surprise me Liljegren is the expendable asset here. Scouts know what the affiliates top prospects are.

Given that Brannstrom is rated #11 on TSN's affiliate top prospects list, Vaakanainen #31. Valimaki is already in the NHL playing with the 2nd best team in the NHL. While Liljegren is unrated and can't make the Leafs who are in need of quality D men. I wouldn't expect many GM's viewing him as a blue chip trade prospect.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Still the wrong topic. If you want to start a Sandin thread on the main board, on second thought do us a favour and keep that on the Leafs board. But if you ask me nicely to comment, I may.

As for the point of this thread. It does not surprise me Liljegren is the expendable asset here. Scouts know what the affiliates top prospects are.

Given that Brannstrom is rated #11 on TSN's affiliate top prospects list, Vaakanainen #31. Valimaki is already in the NHL playing with the 2nd best team in the NHL. While Liljegren is unrated and can't make the Leafs who are in need of quality D men. I wouldn't expect many GM's viewing him as a blue chip trade prospect.

Agreed, Liljegren's so bad that a simple high ankle sprain is enough to keep him from playing in the NHL at 19. Man up and play through the injury. Btw, why wasnt Valimaki on the ice last game? Is he not good enough for the NHL anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->