Recalled/Assigned: Lias Andersson - Part III (Loaned to SHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
I still believe he can turn into a pretty decent player. Maybe not worth a 7th overall pick but at least a good contributor at the NHL level.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

Turning it up for HV71. Listen, if he had issues while playing here and is figuring things out while back home, I have no issue bringing him back when he is ready and can contribute. We need all the forward depth we can get, and if he can play down the middle and be effective, it's something this team severely lacks in the prospect pool at this time.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Is there an actual timeline in place to come back? Or are we just hoping for the best at this point?
The latter, I haven’t seen anything about him being willing to come back since he left, but I also largely stay out of this thread because it’s a wasteland

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I think we are hoping for the best but, nothing that I can see from my limited perspective shows any indication of why he can't return.

Time heals all wounds, etc, etc. And if you are the Rangers, even if Andersson was in the wrong from your point of view, what's stopping you from burying your ego and going back to him with hat in hand, putting on a facade, and saying "Hey, we really want to let you compete for the team again."If you aren't getting offers for first round picks or future top-sixers for him, then why wouldn't you want to give him every opportunity to mature and change his stripes and maybe he becomes a solid third liner for you?

I guess you have to have it straightened out with him that he may or may not make the team and what happens if he doesn't, but if you can go into a meeting well-intentioned and willing to be humble, I don't know why this relationship couldn't be repaired.

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think at this point you're basically letting him get going and get his confidence back in the SHL and listening on offers for him. At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if they keep the lines of communication open and say "hey you're welcome to come back in camp next season and help us make this team better".

I have a suspicion though that his issues have to do with the coaching staff and as long as Quinn is behind the bench then Andersson wants nothing to do with playing for the Rangers

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think at this point you're basically letting him get going and get his confidence back in the SHL and listening on offers for him. At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if they keep the lines of communication open and say "hey you're welcome to come back in camp next season and help us make this team better".

I have a suspicion though that his issues have to do with the coaching staff and as long as Quinn is behind the bench then Andersson wants nothing to do with playing for the Rangers

Yeah, let him marinate in Sweden until we get a good offer, if we don’t get one we don’t get one.

I think Lias is much better now than he was for Frölunda his last season in the SHL. He has developed fairly well. I think a big issue for him has been that he has been rushed a bit more or less since he was 15-16 y/o (to U20, then to the SHL as 16-17 y/o, and then to NA as a 18 y/o) and it caught up with him eventually.

I am not 100% sure about his relationship with DQ to be honest. Could be issues related to Hartford and teammates there too, for example. Who knows.

More or less at any given time there are players who (a) has potential, (b) isn’t working out, and (c) that teams don’t want to trade because the GM don’t want to sell low. Lias fits this bill, Pulju does the same and there are a few others.

Pulju for Lias wasn’t a fit, but if Lias keeps playing well in the SHL he will get value back in especially this category and Gorton can find a deal that suits all parties best I think.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
That's why this team didn't take scraps for him in a trade. Let him mature and marinate in Sweden and just forget about him. Let him get his hockey and personal life settle down. If anything he becomes a much better asset than a 4th round pick

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I refuse to get excited about him putting up points in the SHL.

Hopefully he builds some value for a trade, or manages to improve his skating and mental processing speed to become a valued Ranger.

But we've seen this movie before, and I learned from it that numbers don't mean much in this case.

Stats are stats and never tell the full story. But I think the move to HV71 was good for Lias. He has established himself as a goto guy, he is really in the middle of things. The SHL game for a center is more ‘strategic’ and his smarts and vision pays off. And he is really playing like he got something to prove, he is obviously really pissed. Doing really well in the FO circle at times at least.

Scouts that watch him will like what they see, he will draw attention. Wouldn’t have too high hopes on stats, definitely not a 1+ PPG or something like that. 0.75 PPG is really good.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
I assume the timeline is tethered to Andersson growing the hell up and engaging the Rangers.

wee-bey-gif.gif

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I'd like to see them sell high on Strome in the summer, promote Chytil and give meaningful minutes to Andersson at 3C. Andersson & Guathier, Kravstov if he's ready. young but a nice mix of N/S game with some skill

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Again, if we forget the drama for a second, 7 points in 9 games for a 21 year old in the SHL is very good.

Look, I don't know what the future holds for Andersson with the Rangers, and he needs to translate his game to the NHL, but this isn't a kid without abilities either.

I think whether it's through the prism of not liking the pick, or not liking what happened this season, or a combination of the two, I think Andersson has always been judged on a curve more often that not.

Within reason, its understandable and even warranted. But like most things, I think people get into a pack mentality where they just keep pushing things until eventually it becomes an over-the-top reaction.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
IDK how much it helps his value. We knew he could play well in Sweden.

Honestly, we know he can play well in the AHL. He did during his first two stints, when he was actually trying.

Can he play in the NHL? I suspect he can to some degree. Not sure how much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad