Recalled/Assigned: Lias Andersson - Part III (Loaned to SHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Looking at an organizations draft record over decades is goi g to result in a lot of “bad” picks no matter the org
I think the bigger thing is to point out the times that the rangers obviously wiffed on players by trying to be too smart so to speak. Jessiman and mcilrath are the big culprits here. Everyone knew there were better picks in fore sight and hindsight.
other picks like brendl and lundnark are more “bad luck” as they were consensus to go where they did but the draft in general turned out to be a dud etc

I’m less concerned that the rangers blow some picks. Every team does that
It’s when they’re in a position to take an impact player and they pass to take a long shot that is an issue and one that is mostly confined to the two examples mentioned but that hurt this franchise a whole lot in the long run

I can't believe he name checked Jeff Brown... a guy 22nd overall. You're right though that this issue is really confined to two picks. You could argue the wisdom of taking Montoya when they had a high end goalie prospect in the system with Lundqvist. Then again, there wasn't a really likely impact player after Andrew Ladd in that draft. I wanted Tukonen in that spot. And you could argue about Andersson all day too, but at this second it looks like the only players in that whole tier that have taken a strong step into the NHL are Necas and Suzuki.

Point being that the really bad calls are only really those two. Everything else is debatable. Of course, you wonder if the real problem with both of those was the small margin of error, rather than a larger talent question. Both players suffered lower body injuries at critical junctures in their development. Both players had questions about their skating to start off with. So, while neither injury was all that serious, you wonder how it messed up their progression.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I can't believe he name checked Jeff Brown... a guy 22nd overall. You're right though that this issue is really confined to two picks. You could argue the wisdom of taking Montoya when they had a high end goalie prospect in the system with Lundqvist. Then again, there wasn't a really likely impact player after Andrew Ladd in that draft. I wanted Tukonen in that spot. And you could argue about Andersson all day too, but at this second it looks like the only players in that whole tier that have taken a strong step into the NHL are Necas and Suzuki.

Point being that the really bad calls are only really those two. Everything else is debatable. Of course, you wonder if the real problem with both of those was the small margin of error, rather than a larger talent question. Both players suffered lower body injuries at critical junctures in their development. Both players had questions about their skating to start off with. So, while neither injury was all that serious, you wonder how it messed up their progression.
It's obviously looking at the pick in hindsight, but I genuinely wish I could've heard the conversations leading up to choosing Andersson over Suzuki, and I only mention this since Suzuki was the other prospect that we were considering at 7.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
It's obviously looking at the pick in hindsight, but I genuinely wish I could've heard the conversations leading up to choosing Andersson over Suzuki, and I only mention this since Suzuki was the other prospect that we were considering at 7.

another high pick screwup by these Rangers. These scouts are awful

SickNice

Oct 7, 2005
Hoboken, NJ
Draft picks will bust. You would hope / expect this to happen less frequently with the Rangers simply because of their exhorbitant resources and the fact they can invest / spend more on scouting than basically anyone not names Montreal or Toronto.

Reactions: egelband

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Draft picks will bust. You would hope / expect this to happen less frequently with the Rangers simply because of their exhorbitant resources and the fact they can invest / spend more on scouting than basically anyone not names Montreal or Toronto.

Honestly don't think it's as easy as just throwing money at it though. Drafting still comes down to trying to project how 17-18 year old kids will develop coming from a variety of different leagues with different playing styles and eventually try to play in the NHL with it's own style of play. Picks are gonna bust...a guy can seem to have all the tools and a drive to succeed but just never manage to improve to the NHL level.

When you rebuild it's always a risk. No matter what you do, some players and picks are gonna bust. You hope it's not the top picks but sometimes that happens, even consensus picks bust. It's not exact.

Again I really go back to those two picks...Jessiman and McIlrath. I feel like a lot of other picks are your more standard "well damn they didn't pan out but they weren't really reaches and sometimes you win some and sometimes you lose some" but those two...Jessiman was a boom or bust pick taken too high in a draft that everyone knew was deep as hell and with some great players still on the board. Rangers tried to get too cute there and hope for an even bigger boom of a pick when they could have "played it safe" and still gotten an all-star caliber player. Then again with McIlrath...one of the top skilled forwards in the draft was right there and they passed, one of the top D man in the draft was right there and they passed...to take a big player who "skates well for his size" and has toughness and they hoped again they'd get the big boom of the pick rather than the huge bust that was more likely.

Hopefully now they've moved beyond picking just for size.

Anyways I guess I'm just seeing it as less a systemic thing and more a few key bad picks that skew the overall look of things. Overall the Rangers draft pretty well but some key failures cost them dearly in the past 10-20 years

Reactions: SickNice

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Then again with McIlrath...one of the top skilled forwards in the draft was right there and they passed, one of the top D man in the draft was right there and they passed...to take a big player who "skates well for his size" and has toughness and they hoped again they'd get the big boom of the pick rather than the huge bust that was more likely.
Carcillo rag dolling and beating down Gaborik with 0 total shits given by the NYR players on ice led to that terrible reactionary pick.

Edit: Who knew The Great American Hero Buch was the answer to that issue lmao

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Carcillo rag dolling and beating down Gaborik with 0 total ****s given by the NYR players on ice led to that terrible reactionary pick.

Edit: Who knew The Great American Hero Buch was the answer to that issue lmao

I don't even get the thinking on that...like even if that did disgust the Rangers brass and they wanted more toughness on the team, why pick a project who's like 3-4 years away at best. Just go pick up free agent tough guys or whatever. Even less smart is to pick a D man who if he fights all the time is going to leave your team short handed on D all the time...even if he did boom and become another Shea Weber now you want your best D to be fighting, risking injury, and taking himself off the ice for 5 minutes at a time?

Just insane.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I don't even get the thinking on that...like even if that did disgust the Rangers brass and they wanted more toughness on the team, why pick a project who's like 3-4 years away at best. Just go pick up free agent tough guys or whatever. Even less smart is to pick a D man who if he fights all the time is going to leave your team short handed on D all the time...even if he did boom and become another Shea Weber now you want your best D to be fighting, risking injury, and taking himself off the ice for 5 minutes at a time?

Just insane.
Agreed. That's where you need to have a variety of voices in the room willing to speak up to get a clear picture and avoid the group-think echo chamber. Someone on top in the brass likely indicated disgust at the play (valid) and gave a mandate to start looking towards a tougher type of player in the draft and FA (also valid) and it spun out of control leading to a 1st rounder with very limited upside who was big, strong, and tough as nails. It would have still been dumb but would have been much more acceptable to reach for him in round 2. Such a damn shame.

SickNice

Oct 7, 2005
Hoboken, NJ
Honestly don't think it's as easy as just throwing money at it though. Drafting still comes down to trying to project how 17-18 year old kids will develop coming from a variety of different leagues with different playing styles and eventually try to play in the NHL with it's own style of play. Picks are gonna bust...a guy can seem to have all the tools and a drive to succeed but just never manage to improve to the NHL level.

When you rebuild it's always a risk. No matter what you do, some players and picks are gonna bust. You hope it's not the top picks but sometimes that happens, even consensus picks bust. It's not exact.

Again I really go back to those two picks...Jessiman and McIlrath. I feel like a lot of other picks are your more standard "well damn they didn't pan out but they weren't really reaches and sometimes you win some and sometimes you lose some" but those two...Jessiman was a boom or bust pick taken too high in a draft that everyone knew was deep as hell and with some great players still on the board. Rangers tried to get too cute there and hope for an even bigger boom of a pick when they could have "played it safe" and still gotten an all-star caliber player. Then again with McIlrath...one of the top skilled forwards in the draft was right there and they passed, one of the top D man in the draft was right there and they passed...to take a big player who "skates well for his size" and has toughness and they hoped again they'd get the big boom of the pick rather than the huge bust that was more likely.

Hopefully now they've moved beyond picking just for size.

Anyways I guess I'm just seeing it as less a systemic thing and more a few key bad picks that skew the overall look of things. Overall the Rangers draft pretty well but some key failures cost them dearly in the past 10-20 years
Agree entirely. You can never eliminate the uncertainty but they should be able to mitigate more than other teams given resources. Is there record better if you exclude those two bombs? Probably. But they were such egregious misses.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Agreed. That's where you need to have a variety of voices in the room willing to speak up to get a clear picture and avoid the group-think echo chamber. Someone on top in the brass likely indicated disgust at the play (valid) and gave a mandate to start looking towards a tougher type of player in the draft and FA (also valid) and it spun out of control leading to a 1st rounder with very limited upside who was big, strong, and tough as nails. It would have still been dumb but would have been much more acceptable to reach for him in round 2. Such a damn shame.

I think that was entirely a "Sather pick". Dude is/was old school and it feels like his thinking to a T. A big tough defenseman who would stand up for his team seems like it was more common back in his heyday but doesn't make sense in the modern NHL

e: I think they also got sold on the idea of McIlrath having untapped upside as he hadn't played the position for that long and having 'good feet' for a guy his size. A big shot, some decent skating, people started thinking "what if it all comes together" and forgot to look at what the more likely outcome was

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Lias Andersson just made it 1-0 half way into HV71s game today.

He has a big role on the team and is doing a good job. His smarts and hockey sense pays off a lot more in the SHL than it have done in the AHL.

I definitely think it’s best to leave him there right now while letting things settle down. If his play so far continues it won’t be long before European scouts call up their bosses in NA and say, listen, had we drafted this guy in the mid to late 1st and let him be in the SHL until now we would be positive about what we are seeing. This kid will never become a big star but he is clutch, smart and works really hard. Could become a good top 9 “role player”.

Should definitely get him to a level where we can deal him for a player with upside but that haven’t quite found his footing, as a sweetener or whatever.

jniklast

Sep 28, 2007
Yeah, quite obviously we would be selling about as low as possible on him right now, so I would definitely also prefer to just let him play there a bit and hope for a decent showing in Europe. There's not much for us to lose anyway.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Lias Andersson just made it 1-0 half way into HV71s game today.

He has a big role on the team and is doing a good job. His smarts and hockey sense pays off a lot more in the SHL than it have done in the AHL.

I definitely think it’s best to leave him there right now while letting things settle down. If his play so far continues it won’t be long before European scouts call up their bosses in NA and say, listen, had we drafted this guy in the mid to late 1st and let him be in the SHL until now we would be positive about what we are seeing. This kid will never become a big star but he is clutch, smart and works really hard. Could become a good top 9 “role player”.

Should definitely get him to a level where we can deal him for a player with upside but that haven’t quite found his footing, as a sweetener or whatever.

wont ever be a top 9 player because he cant move. His lack of explosiveness and speed is why he will never be a useful nhl player, and the other parts of his game dont compensate enough to make up for it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->