Recalled/Assigned: Lias Andersson - Part III (Loaned to SHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
IDK how much it helps his value. We knew he could play well in Sweden.

Honestly, we know he can play well in the AHL. He did during his first two stints, when he was actually trying.

Can he play in the NHL? I suspect he can to some degree. Not sure how much.

I don't think it's the final destination, but I do think it's a first step to getting back on track. And if he ever hopes to get to a final destination, that's where it has to start.

Now to your last point, I honestly believe that Andersson has it in him to be a Mike Ricci type. I won't lie, despite what happened, I'd love for him to fill that kind of role for the Rangers --- because I think it could be so incredibly useful. You put him with Holloway on the left, and a Gauthier on the right, and I think you could have something. Is it too late for that? Who knows for sure.

But for player type, I honestly don't think Ricci is a bad target, or an unreasonable one. But, let's put one foot in front of the other and see where it goes. The odds say Andersson's time in NY is done, but even if it is, I want to maximize the value.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
IDK how much it helps his value. We knew he could play well in Sweden.

Honestly, we know he can play well in the AHL. He did during his first two stints, when he was actually trying.

Can he play in the NHL? I suspect he can to some degree. Not sure how much.

Still, I have to say that when I saw him with Frölunda the last stint in the SHL there was always a feeling that he could disappear completely. The only time I’ve really liked his play is right after the draft early in the WJSS, then in camp this season, and then now for HV.

I think that is good to see. He is growing into it.

With that said, the lack of break away speed is still there. But within those parameters he are playing to his strengths and doing a lot of good things.

But the next step for him is to become more fluid in his play. He has always had a tendency to be a bit reactive instead of proactive in his game — and that is as big a sign as any of a kid that have played at too high of a level (not blaming anyone for it, been there myself even, there are pros and cons).

And it’s in that area I think he could make big improvements if he played a season in the SHL. The other limitations will still be there.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Still, I have to say that when I saw him with Frölunda the last stint in the SHL there was always a feeling that he could disappear completely. The only time I’ve really liked his play is right after the draft early in the WJSS, then in camp this season, and then now for HV.

I think that is good to see. He is growing into it.

With that said, the lack of break away speed is still there. But within those parameters he are playing to his strengths and doing a lot of good things.

But the next step for him is to become more fluid in his play. He has always had a tendency to be a bit reactive instead of proactive in his game — and that is as big a sign as any of a kid that have played at too high of a level (not blaming anyone for it, been there myself even, there are pros and cons).

And it’s in that area I think he could make big improvements if he played a season in the SHL. The other limitations will still be there.

I guess the limitations also depend on the role.

As a top-end scoring forward? Probably not good enough.

As a third line center, who chips in some points and annoys the piss out of other teams players? Maybe not quite so limiting.

With regards to the latter role, I felt he was working in that direction last year, before everything fell apart this season. Personally, if he wants to make it in the NHL, he’s going to have to embrace that direction.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I guess the limitations also depend on the role.

As a top-end scoring forward? Probably not good enough.

As a third line center, who chips in some points and annoys the piss out of other teams players? Maybe not quite so limiting.

With regards to the latter role, I felt he was working in that direction last year, before everything fell apart this season. Personally, if he wants to make it in the NHL, he’s going to have to embrace that direction.
The question is, is he mature enough to recognize his limitations and willing to play that role in the NHL vice being more of a skill guy in Europe?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The question is, is he mature enough to recognize his limitations and willing to play that role in the NHL vice being more of a skill guy in Europe?

For his sake, and maybe even for ours, I sincerely hope so.

I won’t hold my breath, but him embracing that role would be a win-win for everyone. So that’s what I am “pulling for” in a manner of speech.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
For his sake, and maybe even for ours, I sincerely hope so.

I won’t hold my breath, but him embracing that role would be a win-win for everyone. So that’s what I am “pulling for” in a manner of speech.
Is it a win for him though? I'm pretty ignorant about pay scales in Sweden. Is it safe to assume that the top end skill guys in the SHL make comparable salaries to NHL pluggers? Lias doesn't seem particularly driven to make it in the NHL. That can change of course.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Is it a win for him though? I'm pretty ignorant about pay scales in Sweden. Is it safe to assume that the top end skill guys in the SHL make comparable salaries to NHL pluggers? Lias doesn't seem particularly driven to make it in the NHL. That can change of course.

I dunno, an effective third line center in the NHL can make a very nice salary.

I don’t know if I’d say he isn’t driven to make to the NHL, the kid has routinely busted his tail coming into this season. So I don’t think that’s the issue.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If he became a good NHL 3C and hit UFA, he'd be making more here than in Sweden. Probably during at least one RFA year as well.

I don't doubt he really wants to play in the NHL, but I'm not sold he's committed to winning a spot back, playing 4C at times, maybe having to play in the AHL for a month or so, etc.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I dunno, an effective third line center in the NHL can make a very nice salary.

I don’t know if I’d say he isn’t driven to make to the NHL, the kid has routinely busted his tail coming into this season. So I don’t think that’s the issue.
I dunno either, but the way he chose to exit this year has to really make you question his overall drive to play in the NHL. He was facing some hardship, yes, but it's not like the path back to the big club led over Mt. Everest or something, especially at the time he left. It's only gotten harder as the team has continued to coalesce and improve.

Hard to speculate. It's good that he's performing over there though. He was only a few more missteps away from pissing his career away entirely.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Best case scenario is he realizes he should be here and playing next year. We are gonna get pennies on the dollar for him. Hopefully Gorton and Quinn make a trip to visit him and see if they can smooth things over before next season. At this point he is worth a 3rd rounder, or a long shot prospect, it would be nice if he figured it out.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Best case scenario is he realizes he should be here and playing next year. We are gonna get pennies on the dollar for him. Hopefully Gorton and Quinn make a trip to visit him and see if they can smooth things over before next season. At this point he is worth a 3rd rounder, or a long shot prospect, it would be nice if he figured it out.

I see zero reason to trade him and I welcome him back as long as he comes back with an improved attitude.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
If he became a good NHL 3C and hit UFA, he'd be making more here than in Sweden. Probably during at least one RFA year as well.

I don't doubt he really wants to play in the NHL, but I'm not sold he's committed to winning a spot back, playing 4C at times, maybe having to play in the AHL for a month or so, etc.
This. We need to see an improved attitude from him as well as improved play. It's great that he is getting it going over in Sweden, but that's only half the battle.

Reactions: leetch99

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I think it depends on whether he thinks Quinn will actually give him a chance if/when he deserves one. B/c he did at times deserve an elevated role earlier in the season, and wasn't rewarded for it.

If the team can convince him that he can earn his way up the lineup, (and obviously is willing to take him back), I think he's a full time NHLer next season

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I think it depends on whether he thinks Quinn will actually give him a chance if/when he deserves one. B/c he did at times deserve an elevated role earlier in the season, and wasn't rewarded for it.

If the team can convince him that he can earn his way up the lineup, (and obviously is willing to take him back), I think he's a full time NHLer next season

The only thing I'll say on that is that as soon as he left here he was going to get fitted for custom skates because his feet werent right so if that's been bothering him for a while it was probably holding him back, so he should understand why a coach would be less inclined to play him if he wasnt able to perform the way he should.

lemonybergamot

Jun 2, 2018
New York City

Maybe if Andersson comes back to the NHL when he is like 23-24, Quinn may not be the coach anymore.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
The only thing I'll say on that is that as soon as he left here he was going to get fitted for custom skates because his feet werent right so if that's been bothering him for a while it was probably holding him back, so he should understand why a coach would be less inclined to play him if he wasnt able to perform the way he should.

I'd say the counter to that is that we never heard a word he even Might be hurt when he was with the team or in the AHL. Perhaps the team simply didn't think it was an issue, whereas he did? (just spitballing here)

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I hope I'm wrong but based on how he left and his immaturity I feel like his success in the SHL only serves to make him feel more vindicated in his moves to this point, even though it has almost no bearing on his NHL time. Scoring at a PPG pace there he'll continue to tell himself he should have been given a shot in the top 6 and no way in hell is he coming back to face the same 'prove yourself' mentality Quinn enforces for most youth. He's proving it right now in the SHL (incorrect but an angry immature kid surrounded by an echo chamber of 'you're so amazing' might very well go along with this line of thinking)

VK had the opposite experience going back home and this seems to have helped him 'wake up' so to speak.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Lias with another goal to make it 2-0. This one was maybe not the prettiest one, but they all count, at least for the ones that are stat.scouting him... He played a rebound with a high stick but then the defender tried to clear it with his hand but punched it into his own net.

I hope this becomes his signature move. Svechnikov's lacrosse goals ain't got nothing on that.

Reactions: Inferno

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I hope I'm wrong but based on how he left and his immaturity I feel like his success in the SHL only serves to make him feel more vindicated in his moves to this point, even though it has almost no bearing on his NHL time. Scoring at a PPG pace there he'll continue to tell himself he should have been given a shot in the top 6 and no way in hell is he coming back to face the same 'prove yourself' mentality Quinn enforces for most youth. He's proving it right now in the SHL (incorrect but an angry immature kid surrounded by an echo chamber of 'you're so amazing' might very well go along with this line of thinking)

VK had the opposite experience going back home and this seems to have helped him 'wake up' so to speak.

Think odds are slim that he is coming back here anyway, at least if DQ is still around (if he was part of the problem).

Reactions: romba

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

what if Lias Andersson is just proving that he can play in Europe but not consistently well enough for the game in North America? what if his trade value gets lower because of his success in Europe and lack of success in North America?

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
what if Lias Andersson is just proving that he can play in Europe but not consistently well enough for the game in North America? what if his trade value gets lower because of his success in Europe and lack of success in North America?

people might not believe he can play in the nhl regardless of what he does in sweden unless he shows improvements in specific areas but there is literally zero chance that his value goes down because of his success in sweden. people might not care and his value will go unchanged, but no one is going to think less of him cause he is having success. thats ridiculous.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
people might not believe he can play in the nhl regardless of what he does in sweden unless he shows improvements in specific areas but there is literally zero chance that his value goes down because of his success in sweden. people might not care and his value will go unchanged, but no one is going to think less of him cause he is having success. thats ridiculous.

"Hey Jeff, I hear that Lias kid is putting up some points in Sweden. You must be pretty disappointed in that. Ready to lower your asking price?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad