Lets talk about William Nylander.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Obviously Nylander was going to get exposed in a series like this. When you are a soft, perimeter player, who lacks fortitude you will get exposed for what you are in this series. There is little doubt that this kid is as soft as they come. I don’t even understand how anyone can defend someone who plays scared like Nylander. He is a coward.
lol the irony of somebody calling somebody else a "coward" from the safety of the internet, in what one can only assume is their moms basement..

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Just like Kessel, another playoff ghost.

He may get thicker and become a pain in the ass down the line. I think his old man was like that. Marner is kinda likely to become more like Kadri, no idea why I say that but I could see him putting size on and just being more of a pest. It's not like hope is lost or anything, but we need guys that put it on the line and not what they are doing now.

dosages

Oct 16, 2017
I've seen him grind along the boards harder in the regular season. sucks man... hope he's looking at his phone tonight and seeing everyone talk about him while his good friend shat in our mouth with 6 points

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
And all you guys think on this board nylander is gonna get paid the same as pastrnak.. know nothing.

Hes in another level.

Based on this series so far, Matthews/Marner/Nylander all going to make 5 mill or less. :laugh:

^ A clear exaggeration but point remains, these 3 NEED to step it up.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Kessel scored 23 points in 25 games in last years playoffs.... 22 points in 24 games the year before that. He's almost PPG in playoffs.

He was productive, always productive. I thought we were talking about the lack of presence. Kessel is a threat in short spurts not someone that sustains pressure. Nylander sort of has just been, well, skating around and doing nothing at all.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Two posts up, m8.

When I replied I only read up to your post. Any way that post only points what he did with Pens but if you go back to our own playoffs he had 6 points in 7 games. He has flaws in his game but you can never point out that he is not productive.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You would think he has the skillset to match up with David Pastrnak, but not sure what it'll take to get him there.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Controlling the puck for nearly 70% of the time your on the ice is incredibly impressive. And pretty strong evidence to the contrary that he played poorly.

The Bruins top guys lit up weak Toronto goaltending (including gettingto face McBackup) They played well, but let’s not pretend they didn’t get a bit of luck On their side.
Leafs came to the play. If Kappy puts that one inch to the left its 1-1. But that's a HUGE 'IF'

No matter how you look at it, Leafs got their goals and fancy posession stats in 'garbage time'

No team in the playoffs is gonna play with the same desperation once being spotted 4 f***ing goals.

Your best players have to be your best players. Forget Matthews, Nylander & Marner. What about Rielly, Marleau, Kadri, Hainsey, Andersen?

Reactions: AlmightyPO

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
You would think he has the skillset to match up with David Pastrnak, but not sure what it'll take to get him there.

The word is 'GRIT'. You need the determination to take a hit to get the job done in the playoffs. I hope he fills out his frame a bit more and learns from this series. He is still very young and there will be many chances for him in the future.

AlmightyPO

Dec 13, 2009
London
Leafs came to the play. If Kappy puts that one inch to the left its 1-1. But that's a HUGE 'IF'

No matter how you look at it, Leafs got their goals and fancy posession stats in 'garbage time'

No team in the playoffs is gonna play with the same desperation once being spotted 4 ****ing goals.

Your best players have to be your best players. Forget Matthews, Nylander & Marner. What about Rielly, Marleau, Kadri, Hainsey, Andersen?
I agree, but this thread is about Nylander...hence the discussion about his play. Only silver lining to this terrible playoffs so far is that his contract-value is likely only dropping.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
The Leafs coach, who seemed to grow more comfortable with Nylander at centre, still said this about him in the role in mid-March, just before Matthews returned from injury and Nylander slid back to right wing: “It's never a skill set issue for him, it's your determination to play without the puck, it's your puck pressure in D-zone, it's your ability to sort things out. And some nights the matchups are easier than others.”

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
None of Marner or Nylander should getmore than 7. Even Nathan ****ing MacKinnon makes 6.3 mil. McDavid making 12.5 isn't bad because year after year he is on the top of scoring race. I also think Matthews will be overpaid if he makes more than what Draisaitl makes. 8.5 is a good contract.

We have to remember one thing that these guys are RFAs and even in arbitration they won't warrant 8 and 10 mil per. Just because disastrous organizations keep overpaying their top players doesn't mean we should follow that and pay more.

Boat for Nylander is almost sailed and contracts for Matthews and Marner won't look pretty if this continues next season as well.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Pasta doesn’t have a Bergeron to face against and Rask hasn’t let in as many easy goals as Andersen did this game.

That’s not to say Pasta hasn’t been playing very well, but I think a lot of folks here need to take a step back and look at context more here

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
None of Marner or Nylander should getmore than 7. Even Nathan ****ing MacKinnon makes 6.3 mil. McDavid making 12.5 isn't bad because year after year he is on the top of scoring race. I also think Matthews will be overpaid if he makes more than what Draisaitl makes. 8.5 is a good contract.

We have to remember one thing that these guys are RFAs and even in arbitration they won't warrant 8 and 10 mil per. Just because disastrous organizations keep overpaying their top players doesn't mean we should follow that and pay more.

Boat for Nylander is almost sailed and contracts for Matthews and Marner won't look pretty if this continues next season as well.

If management is making contract decisions based off of just 2 games, we have the wrong people leading this organization.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2