Lets talk about William Nylander.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
This is why we can't have nice things. We finally get a nice thing and after two down games, time to pull the chute on everything and everyone.

Reactions: Menzinger

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This is why we can't have nice things. We finally get a nice thing and after two down games, time to pull the chute on everything and everyone.
Nope the chute needs to be packed better with pieces to surround Nylander and company. Pieces obtained by knowing when to move on from others.

Reactions: weems

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Nope the chute needs to be packed better with pieces to surround Nylander and company. Pieces obtained by knowing when to move on from others.

You don’t cut off a top 5 team at the knees. Did you see the schenn quote?

great

Apr 14, 2018
When/If we lose this series the hot takes to trade Nylander for a D will be out of control.

Kneejerk reactions and trying way too hard to fill a hole is how you end up with a Hall for Larsson situation.

Yes i’ve Seen oilers fans do this a lot, they went bat crazy on eberle last year when they lost the second round. I still have more faith in Leafs fans, we have to be patient, even if not all of us are.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
When/If we lose this series the hot takes to trade Nylander for a D will be out of control.

Kneejerk reactions and trying way too hard to fill a hole is how you end up with a Hall for Larsson situation.
100% this will happen. The only way you consider this is if you sign Tavares. Otherwise, I think you regret the lost offence in a trade like this.

Leafs are going to have to solve their defence issues some other way.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
That's why it was ****ing moronic to not sell them for picks in the offseason then use the picks later down the line on upgrading the D.

We have tons of picks and prospects. We didn’t go all in on McDonagh Hamonic etc. You don’t do that. You don’t trade your top goal scorer for a pick at the deadline in a playoff spot. Look at the blues. Read Fleury book. It destroys teams.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
There is always room for soft players. They exist and will always need sheltered. I don't really think it works against a physical engaged team like Boston. You probably need half your D core to be physical and a couple guys on each line not afraid to use the body. We aren't talking Lucic here. Just guys that will get in people's faces and finish a check.

People forget why checking in hockey is so important. When you hit, they lose a step or two, that's a half second or full second of time you get free from coverage. Even rubbing people out along the board gives you time. That's not even including the wear and tear.

For eSports fans it's like using a Brute that hits and knocks them back or stun.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
If I'm the Leafs' management, I'm obviously going to use these playoffs as a talking point with Willy's contact negotiations. I suppose we should be thankful (in some sense) that he's underperforming, especially compared to his closest comparables. If we hadn't made the playoffs, we'd only be using his regular season play and his international play, both areas be excelled in, as a means of arriving at a contract figure. Obviously you want to see him do well, but not every player is a finished product at 22 years old.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
100% this will happen. The only way you consider this is if you sign Tavares. Otherwise, I think you regret the lost offence in a trade like this.

Leafs are going to have to solve their defence issues some other way.

With all this money we're pumping into a management team you'd think they'd be able to pluck an underrated player or a guy who needs to be built back up (like what Pitt did with Schultz).

I mean I'm actually kinda suprised Holl didnt get a longer look. He has size, He could skate, looked competent with the puck and seemed to understand how to play his position. Not saying I know forsure he would be good or even close to the answer but I thought this is what rebuilding/young teams did.

With us being firmly cemented in a playoff spot and playoff seed for such a long period of this season I really think we missed out on a great oppurtunity to get a look at certain players and different lineup combos.

Maybe something like try Kapanen on the top line. WPG did the same thing with Connor and he was a beast this season and made an awesome 3rd player on that top line.

Nylander hasnt even come close to the player he's going to be. All 3 of our young studs will be so much better in their primes (ages like 24 onwards) than currently are. You'd be trading Nylander for like 60 cents on the dollar.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Luckily fans are not making the decisions.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
TBH even before the playoffs I've been saying it's probably for the better if we trade Willie for an EQUALLY skilled D-man.

It's evident our D-core is lackluster and the only way to improve that outside of drafting and developing would be to trade. I know a lot of you are banking your hopes on Liljegren, but frankly, it's not enough.

I would be and have been open to all season trying to arrange something with Carolina. Building around Matthews, Kadri, Marner is not bad at all offensively. And to be quite honest, I think JVR is really important to us and would serve a better role for the leafs than willie who's impact (although to a lesser extent) can be replicated. JVR is probably the only person we have right now who's a beast in front of the net.

This is coming from someone who's been a huge Nylander fan since the day we drafted him. I'm aware he might come back and haunt us if we do trade him, but we really need good D

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Sports radio guys and TSN talking heads will be leading the crowd with torches and pitchforks to run him out of town.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Guys, let's take a deep breath and relax about Nylander (and Marner if he has a bad couple of games). It's easier to insulate Nylander in the future than to trade him, live to regret the trade and then try to find another Nylander and a guy to compliment him.

What worked out for Boston is they added a David Backes a couple of years ago. I hate David Backes and he's in decline now, but he basically brings a Kadri style game with the body to back it up. In order to win, the Leafs absolutely need to get grittier to a man, but they also need to be bigger too to handle the traffic and rough stuff and be difficult to handle. Maybe we need a Jordan Staal type veteran to mix and match for different scenarios.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Luckily this management team will not be influenced by the Toronto media.

None of us really know what they will or wont do.

I would have never thought we'd trade a 2nd rounder in back to back years for 4th line centers when we had very slim chances at even coming close to a cup but they did.

Reactions: socko

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Sports radio guys and TSN talking heads will be leading the crowd with torches and pitchforks to run him out of town.

It's the wrong opinion to hold but he has been pathetic and selfish. Unwilling to sacrifice his body whatsoever this series. Would you blame them? I hate him right now because his play has been disgusting. That doesn't mean I want to trade him though.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
None of us really know what they will or wont do.

I would have never thought we'd trade a 2nd rounder in back to back years for 4th line centers but they did.

That move was not made as a result of media pressure. Yes we don't know what they will do but they will do what they think is best for the team, not because media people think we should run a Nylander out of town.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That move was not made as a result of media pressure. Yes we don't know what they will do but they will do what they think is best for the team, not because media people think we should run a Nylander out of town.

Whomever pushed for the Plekanec trade is probably not the person you want running this organization. The trade was very Pat Quinn 2003-04 from the moment it was made and it's hurt the franchise to be frank. At this point Kerby Rychel would have been a superior NHL option to Plekanec. Rychel actually has as many points as Plekanec.

Reactions: cookie and weems

weems

Jul 3, 2008

I hope your right and you very well could be but we have no evidence how this management team will react after two first round exits and the second possibly us getting stomped.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->