Lets talk about William Nylander.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
If management is making contract decisions based off of just 2 games, we have the wrong people leading this organization.

Playoff games are more important than regular games. We will see what happens in the remaining 2 games. If they start winning good for him, and the team and of course us but if they don't 6 mil per is enough money for him.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
None of Marner or Nylander should getmore than 7. Even Nathan ****ing MacKinnon makes 6.3 mil. McDavid making 12.5 isn't bad because year after year he is on the top of scoring race. I also think Matthews will be overpaid if he makes more than what Draisaitl makes. 8.5 is a good contract.

We have to remember one thing that these guys are RFAs and even in arbitration they won't warrant 8 and 10 mil per. Just because disastrous organizations keep overpaying their top players doesn't mean we should follow that and pay more.

Boat for Nylander is almost sailed and contracts for Matthews and Marner won't look pretty if this continues next season as well.
Mackinnon gets 6.3 because he had a couplemof bad years.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Playoff games are more important than regular games. We will see what happens in the remaining 2 games. If they start winning good for him, and the team and of course us but if they don't 6 mil per is enough money for him.

So if Nylander scored a hattrick in these games he’d be worth like 9 million?

Two game is an incredibly small sample size playoffs or regular season, and I hope management doesn’t over emphasize their importance.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
He may get thicker and become a pain in the ass down the line. I think his old man was like that. Marner is kinda likely to become more like Kadri, no idea why I say that but I could see him putting size on and just being more of a pest. It's not like hope is lost or anything, but we need guys that put it on the line and not what they are doing now.
Lol all I can do is laugh at this point. What a post

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Mackinnon gets 6.3 because he had a couplemof bad years.

He had only 1 down year where he scored 38 in 64 games. Then he followed it up with 52 points in 72 games which would be similar to 59 or 60 points. Mackinnon was also younger by a year at the same point in their careers. Believe it or not that range is not bad at all for players in the same boat.

If he outperforms his contract that is good for him and an opportunity to make more money when he becomes UFA, but we can not hand out money based on future predictions. He is 60 points player at this point in his career.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
So if Nylander scored a hattrick in these games he’d be worth like 9 million?

Two game is an incredibly small sample size playoffs or regular season, and I hope management doesn’t over emphasize their importance.

Even if he scores a hat trick it will still be 3 points in 3 games which is not something to warrant him 2.5-3 mil more than what he should make. Yes 2 games are small sample size but he hasn't done himself any favours while Matthews was injured either.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Nylander sets the bar high when he competes his tail off. Thats why he gets flack. As of right now, Nylander is already on vacation. Nylander has some Kessel like softness, disappearing acts. There was a point in the game where Nylander had space to come off the half wall and get into the slot but was scared and retreated to the blue line, it was glaring he did this. The D fell asleep for a second basically assuming Nylander wouldnt take the middle of the ice and they were right.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I still have faith in Nylander... he'll come through.

I'd like to see the lines stacked, but we know that won't happen.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Johnsson - Nylander - Kapanen
JVR - Bozak - Brown
Marleau - Plekanec - Leivo

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017

JVR - Bozak - Brown

Haha how is Hyman playing on the top line is stacking the lines? :huh:

MR4

Oct 20, 2014

JVR - Bozak - Brown
That's not even stacked.. this would be tho

JVR-Matthews-Marner (easily dominant in O-zone)
AJ/WN/KK (All Marlies buds that def would look sick)
Hyman-Marleau-Brown (looked like a 1st line when Matthews was injured)
Martin-Bozak-Leivo

But instead we're stuck with prioritizing who Babcock thinks is more of a man than others

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
That's not even stacked.. this would be tho

JVR-Matthews-Marner
AJ/WN/KK
Hyman-Marleau-Brown (looked like a 1st line)
Martin-Bozak-Leivo

But instead we're stuck with prioritizing who Babcock thinks is more of a man than others

I like it. Feel like Bozak may be underused there. Also not a fan of how Marleau has been playing.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I like it. Feel like Bozak may be underused there. Also not a fan of how Marleau has been playing.
Marleau hasn't been great but I think those 3 all on a line making very simple plays would be good for all of them, they aren't too good at creative plays but dumb it down and they'd be great, as shown when they played together before. And since it would only be for the next 2 games, they're all good defensively so if we hard match them to Bergeron, I think the loss on that matchup would be less than the dominant Matthews line eating up Boston's 2nd line with the Nylander line eating up easy 3rd line competition especially with 2 fast 2 way wingers on Nylander's wing.

And for Bozak, I don't think he's been great as well, Marleau/Bozak/Brown are the ones I'm most willing to drop to the 4th line. At least with Bozak there's been evidence this year that he can eat up 4th line competition, and I think Martin forechecking, Bozak playmaking, and Leivo scoring/good puck possession would make a great 4th line.

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
Based on this series so far, Matthews/Marner/Nylander all going to make 5 mill or less. :laugh:

^ A clear exaggeration but point remains, these 3 NEED to step it up.

I think Matthews played tough, showed a lot of grit in this fame. Just unlucky with the bounces. Nylander can definitely step it up in that department.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Some of you guys should get off of Nylander's back. Sure he's not having a good playoffs but who is on this team?

How many on this team are playing scared? You can play poorly, or have bad puck luck and still compete. Nylander doesn’t compete. It really is sickening.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Matthew and Nylander dominated possession tonight (Nylander in particular had a 68% CF%), they just couldn’t put the luck in the net.

Those stats are particularly noticeable given the fact they were facing some of the top Bruins forwards.

But please,keep pretending they’re playing like 4th liners.

What is the point of watching the game for you? Just read your charts after the game. Amazing how you need these stats to try and tell you what you are seeing.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Lol all I can do is laugh at this point. What a post

You can laugh. Look at Kadri, he fell down and didn't make contact for like 4 years. To be physical or not to be physical, that's the question isn't it. We are not a small team, we are a large bodied team that doesn't use their bodies to punish opponents.

Tell me what stops you from hitting someone? They are 6ft and you are 6ft and weigh the same. They know how to hit, so do you.

It's your mindset. That's the only difference and plenty start shy and afraid but then get mad and play with edge after a series like this.

$$$Athletes are afraid to get hurt. Winners are athletes that lay it all on the line and do anything to win.

Reactions: dsred

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
How many on this team are playing scared? You can play poorly, or have bad puck luck and still compete. Nylander doesn’t compete. It really is sickening.

Dude you said we would be in tough against the Bruins because we were too soft and I said you had a point. We are now seeing it in black and white. I will not be fooled into thinking this team competed last night until I see them do it when the game is tied or in a one goal game. Once it was 4-0 the Bruins let up and Leafs came on. Bruins were able to answer each Leaf goal when the wanted.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Willy will get between 6-6.5 for 7-8 years. He controls possession and zone entries. He overhandles the puck and although he had a rocket, missed the next to much. That’s what is keeping him a 20-25g 60-65 p player, rather than a 30g 80 p player.

Whether he gets there is up to him. But we don’t pay him as if he will.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Gotta love this market and the fans chasing players away after a handful of bad games. Sometimes it's almost like this fanbase doesn't deserve good players honestly.

I’ve said it from the start. The worst thing that has ever happened to the leafs are lead fans. Just dummies.

We react so much to a single series as fans. Then when the team goes out and reacts (draft Gauthier, trade for grit etc) the fans lose their minds

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Gotta love this market and the fans chasing players away after a handful of bad games. Sometimes it's almost like this fanbase doesn't deserve good players honestly.

Most frustrating thing about being a fan.

I love the passion that Leafs fans have for everything about the team, by this also leads to post game reactions that are approaching the absurd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->