Lets talk about William Nylander.

Cory Kennedy

Mar 24, 2018
Ontario
So the leafs have alot of contracts to deal with. But the one that is to expire after this season is the contract of William Nylander. So the question is will he resign? I think yes because right now he is enjoying playing in Toronto, he is also gonna get offered good money I say atleast $7,000,000 and there really isn't any other team for him to sign with. So let me know your personal opinions down in the comments below! Keep calm and go leafs go!

Reactions: Number34

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Pay him for what he's done: 6x7 yrs
Pay him for what he might do: 7x7 yrs
Guess: 6.25x7 yrs

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Pastrnak is the closest comparable for Nylander and Marner. I'm hoping they both sign for 6.5m x 6 years. Might end up being 7x6 though at the higher end.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Ehlers contract is 6M x7 years. That is what he has earned. He isn't David Pastrnak

6M x7 years or 6.5M for 8 years. His choice. We have a ton of cap space and he has no arbitration rights and those are fair offers.

Reactions: Americanadian

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He is a RFA he has very limited choices. His production as a center has not been great and not going to get him anywhere near 7m per.

Looking at his total production when playing with Mathews may get him in the 5m -6m range depending on term 5 years at 5m range 7 years at 6m range.

Flip Foresberg contract is a real good match when looking at points but not goals. 6m per on a 6 year term.

Last edited:
Reactions: WILDLIFEGUY

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Why pay a premium for a guy who will not top 25 goals and is a total non factor in the playoffs? Leafs should be looking to unload him for a defenseman.

Soft, one trick ponies, who play on the perimeter are not that hard to find.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
Why pay a premium for a guy who will not top 25 goals and is a total non factor in the playoffs? Leafs should be looking to unload him for a defenseman.

Are you saying the league is full of William Nylanders?

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario

He's a positive possession player and one of the best puck rushers/ zone entry players in the league. He's still learning the game and will only get better. Also, like mentioned above, he's had some bad scoring luck. If he refines his release he will consistently top 25 goals.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Nylander is different type of guy (IMO). He just might no want a long term deal. Possibly he only wants a 2 year deal which sets up for bigger riches in the future, or maybe even closer to being a UFA.

On a different subject, it's Marner who has really shown improvement in the past few months. If Marner continues his progression, he will be in line for to be the second highest playing Leaf.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

This coming from Dave Poulin who was biggest contribution as Leaf VP was to have lunch and drinks with Brian Burke.

By your logic the Leafs should get rid of Matthews too. In last years playoffs, Nylander had more scoring points and had a better plus/minus that Matthews.

Last edited:

Jun 27, 2005
Nylander's stats drop significantly when Matthews is hurt. He's probably a .5 -.6 ppg kind of guy without Matthews ( 3 goals 8 assists in 20 games this season) and should be paid as one or else we're gonna have to pay hymen $5M some day.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I think the best comparable for Nylander's next contract is what David Pastrnak got from the Bruins which is $6,666,666 million AAV for six years.

When you look at the market overall, Forsberg, Ehlers, Pastrnak, MacKinnon, Barkov, Monahan, Gaudreau, etc. Factor in the cap going up since some of those guys signed, but also factoring in that centres are worth more than wingers, and I'd say Nylander should get something in the 6-6.4M range.

I'd think Ehlers is the best single comparable, and he got 6M. His contract doesn't kick-in until next season, which is when Nylander's new contract would start, so there's no cap-inflation to worry about. They were only 3 points apart in their draft year +3, Nylander was 8 points behind Pastrnak by comparison. Ehlers and Nylander were also drafted one spot apart.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

What's his 1 trick?

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
He should get somewhere between 6-7M at 6-8 years. That is all I have for the discussion. My preference is closer to 8 years at closer to 6.5M.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
how has he earned at least 7 mil?

Nylander: 17/37/54-75 (lets say he ends up with 20g/60pts)

Comparables

Pastrnak: 34/36/70-75 (6.66)
Ehlers: 25/39/64-82 (6.00)
Drouin: 21/32/53-73 (5.50)

Nylander has nearly identical production to Drouin, and he got 5.5.
Not a chance Nylander gets anywhere close to 7, let alone 7+.
5.75-6.25 depending on length. lock that in the vault

Reactions: WILDLIFEGUY

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

he has played 6 career playoff games, all against the presidents trophy winner where he managed 4 pts SMH

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
He'll probably get a contract of 6-7 per for 6-8 years. That's all that needs to be said teally.

i'd be shocked if he got 7. mainly because it means his agent walked all over the leafs
pastrnak got 6.66. pastrnak has 70 and 72 pts the last 2 years and is the same age as Willie.
cant let division rivals sign guys to great contracts then overpay your own guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->