Let's talk about the potential VGK goaltending tandems

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I think we go Raanta & Grubaeur. Best value and both guys are young quality goalies.

It's definitely a good option, but I think it's much more complicated than just concluding that - as one needs to consider the relative value of different exposed guys on each team, and positional selection requirements, etc.

NY2LV

Apr 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
It's definitely a good option, but I think it's much more complicated than just concluding that - as one needs to consider the relative value of different exposed guys on each team, and positional selection requirements, etc.

If you're talking about how we can get a quality skater from Washington or NY where as we can get a goalie from a team with not as good skaters then I agree. But I really like that combination of goalies.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I think we go Raanta & Grubaeur. Best value and both guys are young quality goalies.

Raanta and Grubauer we can only get in the draft. Raanta is more likely because Grubauer is RFA when we only have 10 picks without contract and who would want to have an arbitration case with a goalie. But if we use the draft as an auction we might trade both and I would be ok with that. We can get our goalies in July.

I would be happy if we can get Lehtonen for 1 year, DAL might give us an additional draft pick. Lehtonen was great when he didn't had to play starter workloads, a pretty good 1a. As a 1b we could get Pickard in the expansion draft and if we trade him we could get Nilsson in July, or Darling if he isn't too expensive and there will be many other options. There will always be opportunities on the goalie market, we should take advantage of them. Much better than giving $ and term to Bishop or any other goalie.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
If you're talking about how we can get a quality skater from Washington or NY where as we can get a goalie from a team with not as good skaters then I agree. But I really like that combination of goalies.

Yep - that's exactly what I mean. You have to consider the comparable value of #1 and #2-3 options on each team, and positional selection requirements, before really settling on who should be selected.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Yep - that's exactly what I mean. You have to consider the comparable value of #1 and #2-3 options on each team, and positional selection requirements, before really settling on who should be selected.

Then add in the trades that will be made and trying to guess who the goalies will be after the draft will be nearly impossible.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Then add in the trades that will be made and trying to guess who the goalies will be after the draft will be nearly impossible.

Beyond teams who might be willing to dump goalies to Vegas for Cheap(Dallas? Halak?) there is also the UFA market where Vegas can pick up a goalie or 2. For all we know next season Vegas might be starting off with Bishop or Ryan Miller as their starting goalie.

Donzo

Jun 17, 2009
Denver, CO
Assuming the reports of Sakic protecting Varlamov are true (which is nuts), Vegas would be smart to take Pickard and Grubauer, both because they are RFAs/will be RFAs after next year and because Colorado and Washington are unlikely to have anyone else exposed who is particularly enticing. But it depends how old school GMGM wants to be about having a veteran goalie for "stability," or if a team is offering assets to take on a bad goalie contract (e.g. Lehtonen).

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Assuming the reports of Sakic protecting Varlamov are true (which is nuts), Vegas would be smart to take Pickard and Grubauer, both because they are RFAs/will be RFAs after next year and because Colorado and Washington are unlikely to have anyone else exposed who is particularly enticing. But it depends how old school GMGM wants to be about having a veteran goalie for "stability," or if a team is offering assets to take on a bad goalie contract (e.g. Lehtonen).

I think so too, protecting Varlamov is nuts, good for us. Pickard seems to be a very sure draft pick and I would be happy to have him as a 1b, but there are still some other options. Less than 2 months left :)

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I think we take a skater from Colorado
Agreed.

I think Luongo or Reimer will be picked from the Panthers. Lu has starter money for just two more seasons, then is cheap thereafter, and can be traded freely until the end of next season, when a modified 5-team trade clause kicks in, perfect for the Knights to trade him at the deadline or commit to him for one more season.

RTF_0132.jpg

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Agreed.

I think Luongo or Reimer will be picked from the Panthers. Lu has starter money for just two more seasons, then is cheap thereafter, and can be traded freely until the end of next season, when a modified 5-team trade clause kicks in, perfect for the Knights to trade him at the deadline or commit to him for one more season.

I guess FLA will protect Reimer. Drafting Luongo would be a big mistake because of his cap penalty once he retires. There are so many other options without such disadvantages.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I guess FLA will protect Reimer. Drafting Luongo would be a big mistake because of his cap penalty once he retires. There are so many other options without such disadvantages.

Agree 100% - in my opinion it would take a lot of dangling carrots for VGK to consider taking Luongo.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
When I ran my mock expansion draft, here's what I came up with:

Varlamov
Grubauer
Korpisalo
Ullmark

Now this was before I read the report that the Avs are protecting Varlamov (though I've never really trusted Adrian Dater, and he's the only one reporting it). If they do protect Varlamov, then you have to take Pickard, since the Avs don't really have much else to offer and Pickard will be one of the best young goalies out there.

Pickard just turned 25 and Grubauer turns 27 in November, but I see no harm in going with two young goalies and letting them battle it out - the Ducks did it with Hebert (26) and Shtalenkov (27) during their inaugural season, as did the Predators with Dunham (26) and Vokoun (22).

Ullmark and Korpisalo are both waiver-exempt for one more season, and could spend next year in the AHL. Then you have the option of trading whoever doesn't fit into your long-term plans if need be.

Rather have Grabner than Raanta.

I don't see the Florida goalies as an option. I'm convinced they're going to protect Reimer and then Luongo will come out and say that if Vegas picks him he'll just retire instead. He worked hard to get back to Florida, so I don't see him leaving - and I think the Panthers management knew that when they signed Reimer to that 5-year contract.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Pickard just turned 25 and Grubauer turns 27 in November, but I see no harm in going with two young goalies and letting them battle it out

Grubauer is 25 too, just 5 months older.

Grubauer, Korpisalo and Ullmark are all RFA, not so good.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
I could be wrong but isn't Grabner a UFA?

No, he's got one more year at $1.65M. Rangers gave him a two-year deal last summer just to satisfy the expansion requirements - but then he had a fantastic season and likely raised his value. Thankfully, the Rangers have at least 7 better forwards to protect, so LV can hope it's not a one-year fluke. The expansion team will likely be devoid of top-flight talent/speed, so Grabner would be a good fit. And it's only a one-year commitment and low $$, so he can re-sign if it works in Vegas or get traded at the deadline for a pick.

TheMoose

Jun 23, 2005
If Fleury waives his NMC, Murray can be protected.
We then can auction Fleury if someone wants him, of course only if we can get something in return.
If other teams have to pay us to get Fleury, they could get Fleury from PIT directly and much cheaper.
Therefore we won't draft Fleury because we won't make a profit.
If Fleury waives his NMC and nobody wants him he will stay in PIT.
At his salary and term I wouldn't want Fleury in Vegas. I'm on bord if we use the draft as an auction to get assets.

Of course things can change. Is Murray in a slump? Is it really the best idea to get rid of Fleury? If Fleury won't waive PIT might have to buy him out.

From Elliotte Friedman's 30 thoughts...

11. Nick Kypreos has said for a while now that Vegas’s Pittsburgh pick will be Marc-Andre Fleury.

Hmm... believe i said that month's ago and I'm led to believe the plan is to pick him and build from him out. Have him as a leader in the room and in the community. But things can change..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad