Let's talk about the potential VGK goaltending tandems

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Fleury/Raanta would be a good tandem for you guys IMO. As a Ranger's fan I've seen Raanta a lot, he's a bit inconsistent but when he's on he's capable of being a starter.

MAF is a proven goalie and he's still highly skilled, struggle sbetween the ears at times, that's when you'd use Raanta.

It's a nice combination of experience and skill, they're both capable of stealing games and if they both got hot you'd be hard to beat (assuming the rest of your team is competent).

Steelburgh

Mar 16, 2009
Fleury should be the pick from Pitt

The only way I can see VGK not taking Fleury is if they take one of the young d-men we'll be exposing. Schultz will be protected. I think Rutherford is confident he can resign him, and he's only 26 so he's still an RFA. Plus, Schultz has already spent a long time on a team where he doesn't mesh. He's been through that purgatory and understands the value of playing for the right team. He won't want to jeopardize that unless someone throws seriously silly cash at him (always a possibility).

That means either Maatta or Dumoulin gets exposed. I'd prefer to see Maatta exposed as Dumo's a rock solid defensive guy, but I know how highly the team thinks of Maatta so I bet he is the one protected. So it'll likely either be Dumo or Fleury who head west.

So far as Fleury's contract goes, it's a smart contract for Vegas to pick up to help them get to the $43M cap floor. This is going to be a weird draft since McPhee absolutely needs to grab some big contracts. And unlike some of the other bloated contracts out there, $5.75M for a starting goalie with three Cups is not bad at all.

I have a feeling I'll be grabbing a Fleury Golden Knights jersey come August!

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Whatever the team decides to do with goalies please leave someone for the Jets ;)

I hope they do. The Jets are my second (now third) favorite team.

What's really weird is that I pretty much hate people that have "second" teams in most sports. In hockey, I jump all the way in with a few teams.

1.) Knights
2.) My lifetime favorite Hawks.
3.) Jets because you (or the Thrashers) got Byfuglien and Ladd.

There was also this very unlikable lady a friend of mine married that was from Winnipeg. It's funny how a small confluence of events like that can develop a fan.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Fleury/Raanta would be a good tandem for you guys IMO. As a Ranger's fan I've seen Raanta a lot, he's a bit inconsistent but when he's on he's capable of being a starter.

MAF is a proven goalie and he's still highly skilled, struggle sbetween the ears at times, that's when you'd use Raanta.

It's a nice combination of experience and skill, they're both capable of stealing games and if they both got hot you'd be hard to beat (assuming the rest of your team is competent).

Raanta will try his luck on teams in need of number 1 goalie, if he can't find a starting job with Philly or Arizona (Smith wants to get out of the desert) then we could see him landing in Vegas.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Aaaaand it looks like Vegas will be compensated for taking Fleury after all. Lotsa folks (especially Pens fans) suggesting it wouldn't happen, and that it didn't need to. Vegas fans, be thankful GMGM is aware of Fleury's contract and the favour he's doing the Penguins. Getting some compensation for doing so was certainly in order.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Aaaaand it looks like Vegas will be compensated for taking Fleury after all. Lotsa folks (especially Pens fans) suggesting it wouldn't happen, and that it didn't need to. Vegas fans, be thankful GMGM is aware of Fleury's contract and the favour he's doing the Penguins. Getting some compensation for doing so was certainly in order.

If they wanted Fleury they could have done it after the expansion draft, especially as McKenzie twittered it might have been our first deal.
So now we trade all the good guys away to accumulate picks and waste the goalie spot with Fleury who isn't our future. Makes less sense. I really hate this especially if we don't get a 1st rd pick which would likely be a very late 1st only.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015

No surprise there. Lot of GM grumbling going on over how bad McPhee has raked them over the coals and maximized his advantages. I love the addition of Fleury, but it is going to help the Pens out on cap room and in this particular draft there were some other very attractive Goalie options.

McPhee is straight up putting on a clinic. Dude has served notice that his second time around as GM he's going to be a force, and it's going to continue on into this season with the trade deadline deals as well as him having all those extra picks in future drafts.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

Nice, grab Raanta and that's a hell of a tandem. Or grab Domingue too and flip Raanta.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
No surprise there. Lot of GM grumbling going on over how bad McPhee has raked them over the coals and maximized his advantages. I love the addition of Fleury, but it is going to help the Pens out on cap room and in this particular draft there were some other very attractive Goalie options.

McPhee is straight up putting on a clinic. Dude has served notice that his second time around as GM he's going to be a force, and it's going to continue on into this season with the trade deadline deals as well as him having all those extra picks in future drafts.

I think it was great to use the expansion draft as an auction, but now all depends on the scouts how we use the picks. Nothing is sure.

Dumba is so young, why not drafting him, instead we take the risks with prospects.

Still not easy to do this all in this short time and I think other people would have done worse than we did.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Nice, grab Raanta and that's a hell of a tandem. Or grab Domingue too and flip Raanta.

Sure, but you need to play them and develop them. If they give Fleury 60 games it will do nothing for Raanta, Domingue, Pickard and all the others. What a waste and bad decision. I would have been happy with a tandem of 2 young guys and spend Fleury's millions elsewhere.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I think it was great to use the expansion draft as an auction, but now all depends on the scouts how we use the picks. Nothing is sure.

Dumba is so young, why not drafting him, instead we take the risks with prospects.

Still not easy to do this all in this short time and I think other people would have done worse than we did.

GMGM likely had deals with Ana and Min before the freeze, and the prospects are both waiver exempt.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria

And so he should! The first steps for the franchise here have looked fantastic. Very encouraging for Vegas fans. I have a feeling teams like Colorado and Vancouver wish they could've just walked away from their messes and been in the situation Vegas is putting themselves in.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
So it seems Berube is another goalie from NYI.
He didn't get much chances the last 2 years. Not happy about this.
#15, Grabovski and Berube is not good.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Berube, if he's even on the roster in Oct, will probably be AHL starter. Nothing to get too upset about. Getting #15 is a good get, it could be used to take a faller like Liljegren or to move up and select Patrick.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Berube, if he's even on the roster in Oct, will probably be AHL starter. Nothing to get too upset about. Getting #15 is a good get, it could be used to take a faller like Liljegren or to move up and select Patrick.

I don't know if I like moving up for Patrick. I realize there's a connection with McCrimmon, but I hope they really know what they're doing on him if they move.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I don't know if I like moving up for Patrick. I realize there's a connection with McCrimmon, but I hope they really know what they're doing on him if they move.

His injuries are a concern for me, but I'm just saying that #15, even in a "weak" draft is still a good asset to pick up. We could stand pat and pick BPA at 6, 15, 24, etc. if we wanted and pick up some good prospects.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Looks like MAF-Grubaeur and probably Pickard to be flipped
with Berube getting sent to the AHL

I wonder though, why not take Mrazek, eat some salary and get a good prospect for him? Wings must have offered something.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Sure, but you need to play them and develop them. If they give Fleury 60 games it will do nothing for Raanta, Domingue, Pickard and all the others. What a waste and bad decision. I would have been happy with a tandem of 2 young guys and spend Fleury's millions elsewhere.

Fleury is still a great pick up imo, he'll give the team stability in net. I'd flip Raanta, and having seen a lot of Domingue I still think he has starter potential but I'm not sure you'd need to give him a ton of starts. He never saw much time under Tippett unless Smitty was hurt, in which case he got all of the starts. I'd go with a middle ground between those two and do a ~50 30 split in favor of Fleury unless Domingue is absolute garbage.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
So it seems Berube is another goalie from NYI.
He didn't get much chances the last 2 years. Not happy about this.
#15, Grabovski and Berube is not good.

It should be pointed out Berube is a UFA this summer. I think the move was more a case of not picking anything of value from the Islanders more then Vegas wanting Berube.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
You never know, Dwane Roloson refused to play for Columbus, instead signing with the AHL IceCats.

That is not what happened. The Blue Jackets had no interest in Roloson but selected him as part of a pre-arranged transaction with the Sabres. The Jackets netted defensemen Jean-Luc Grande-Pierre out of the deal.

"The day after they took me, they called and said, 'You're a free agent and you can sign with anybody.' Basically, that was all they said to me. That was it."

Roloson was selected by the Jackets and essentially released the following day.

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
Fleury-Pickard is a really solid tandem. A little surprised nothing happened with Grubauer Raanta or Mrazek though.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
MAF and Pickard are a solid tandem. You get a consistent average NHL starter in MAF who hasn't shown signs of regression and Pickard is a proven good NHL back-up. Berube is a throwaway really. He's UFA and if Vegas really wants to they can send him to the AHL. Highly doubt he'd be picked up off of waivers.

When I look at who Vegas chose those as their goalies what I see are placeholders. There's no "Stud Goalie of the Future" in MAF/Pickard/Berube. What the plan looks like is Vegas is going to go looking hard in the Entry Draft for that future starting goalie. That's what the plan looks like for the entire roster but most true for the goalie pipeline. If they selected Grubauer/Mrazek I think they'd wait until the later rounds and pick a goalie higher in the 2018 draft.

Now though? Looks like they're prepared to take one in the 2nd round at the latest.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I like some of the FA names more than Pickard as the backup tbh. I wouldn't mind singing one of them and flipping Pickard just in case Fleury falters like he did when he had to do multiple starts in a row in Colorado. Then again Pickard would probably be on a cheaper contract than those FA signings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad