Let's talk about the potential VGK goaltending tandems

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
I guess FLA will protect Reimer. Drafting Luongo would be a big mistake because of his cap penalty once he retires. There are so many other options without such disadvantages.

Does Vegas assume the full cap recapture hit of players that they take, or does it work more like a trade? Because if it's the latter, taking Luongo wouldn't be a problem for them. They'd only incur a recapture penalty if he retires after this season, and that penalty would only be around 1 mil.
If they had to take on Florida's full situation however, they probably want nothing to do with Luongo.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
From Elliotte Friedman's 30 thoughts...

11. Nick Kypreos has said for a while now that Vegas’s Pittsburgh pick will be Marc-Andre Fleury.

Hmm... believe i said that month's ago and I'm led to believe the plan is to pick him and build from him out. Have him as a leader in the room and in the community. But things can change..

There was a rumor floating around a couple weeks ago that MAFs wife was in Vegas checking out houses and/or schools.

Kinda seems like a foregone conclusion.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
There was a rumor floating around a couple weeks ago that MAFs wife was in Vegas checking out houses and/or schools.

Kinda seems like a foregone conclusion.

To me it only makes sense if McPhee leverages the selection to make some sort of gain off Rutherford for doing it.

MAF is on an albatross contract with Murray holding the 1G.

I cannot stress how completely insane it would be to take MAF without getting something for it.

Even if GM GM thinks he's the best goalie available. Rutherford NEEDS Fleury gone to get some breathing room under the cap. You can't squander leverage when you have it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
To me it only makes sense if McPhee leverages the selection to make some sort of gain off Rutherford for doing it.

MAF is on an albatross contract with Murray holding the 1G.

I cannot stress how completely insane it would be to take MAF without getting something for it.

Even if GM GM thinks he's the best goalie available. Rutherford NEEDS Fleury gone to get some breathing room under the cap. You can't squander leverage when you have it.

Lmao the Penguins can just keep Fleury. This sounds like the same "Fleury will never waive for the expansion draft" nonsense that was being parroted. The idea that the Pens will add for Vegas to take Fleury is completely nonsense. It just flat out won't happen, the Penguins will suck it up and keep him if they have to.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I'm still not sure why LVK wants Fleury's contract, given the other goaltender options available. I feel like the Pens might need to sweeten the pot.

It's really hard to know what the best move is though, without knowing who all the exposed players are on each team.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'm still not sure why LVK wants Fleury's contract, given the other goaltender options available. I feel like the Pens might need to sweeten the pot.

It's really hard to know what the best move is though, without knowing who all the exposed players are on each team.

Meh, he's a solid goalie and only has two years left on his contract.

The Knights obviously have no cap issues in the near future, so why not take a good/great goalie with some leadership for a couple of years? We're definitely going to need an above average goalie to not get run off the ice most nights.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Meh, he's a solid goalie and only has two years left on his contract.

The Knights obviously have no cap issues in the near future, so why not take a good/great goalie with some leadership for a couple of years? We're definitely going to need an above average goalie to not get run off the ice most nights.

Yeah, but I think they should insist teams sweeten the pot in order to take on those players. There's tons of opportunity out there (Dustin Brown, for example).

I just feel like Raanta/Grubauer/Dell might offer the best value as far as goaltenders go (notwithstanding the comparable benefits of other options at other positions on their team), and there are tons of other veteran options in play (Howard, Luongo, Halak, Mason, etc).

In my mind, given the other goaltending options, Fleury certainly isn't worth a pick over options like Schultz, Pouliot (I'm assuming they're available, from looking at the TSN tool).

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Yeah, but I think they should insist teams sweeten the pot in order to take on those players. There's tons of opportunity out there (Dustin Brown, for example).

I just feel like Raanta/Grubauer/Dell might offer the best value as far as goaltenders go (notwithstanding the comparable benefits of other options at other positions on their team), and there are tons of other veteran options in play (Howard, Luongo, Halak, Mason, etc).

In my mind, given the other goaltending options, Fleury certainly isn't worth a pick over options like Schultz, Pouliot (I'm assuming they're available, from looking at the TSN tool).

I'm sure they could sweeten the pot a little, and I can't see why they wouldn't. They get a little help with the cap and they don't have to worry about dealing someone to protect themselves. I guess it all depends on how McPhee wants to play it. We've got to remember the expansion draft is a 72 hour affair that is then followed by years of dealing with the people you're rolling over in business today.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I'm sure they could sweeten the pot a little, and I can't see why they wouldn't. They get a little help with the cap and they don't have to worry about dealing someone to protect themselves. I guess it all depends on how McPhee wants to play it. We've got to remember the expansion draft is a 72 hour affair that is then followed by years of dealing with the people you're rolling over in business today.

True, but it's not really "rolling over" someone - just looking after your own interests, which all teams should be doing at all times.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

A. I don't think Fleury would have agreed to waive his NMC unless there was some sort of assurance (not technically a payment from the Penguins) that he'd be taken by Vegas. That can be anything from his agent getting an answer from McPhee or the Penguins agreeing to a payment for Vegas to take Fleury.
B. Even if A wasn't true, I don't think the Penguins would pay Vegas to take Fleury. If Vegas doesn't take him, the Penguins will just keep Fleury or trade him for normal value (since the expansion draft wouldn't be an issue at that point) later in the summer. The Penguins aren't in a position where they desperately have to get rid of Fleury, they can wait now that Fleury waived his NMC for the draft.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
A. I don't think Fleury would have agreed to waive his NMC unless there was some sort of assurance (not technically a payment from the Penguins) that he'd be taken by Vegas. That can be anything from his agent getting an answer from McPhee or the Penguins agreeing to a payment for Vegas to take Fleury.
B. Even if A wasn't true, I don't think the Penguins would pay Vegas to take Fleury. If Vegas doesn't take him, the Penguins will just keep Fleury or trade him for normal value (since the expansion draft wouldn't be an issue at that point) later in the summer. The Penguins aren't in a position where they desperately have to get rid of Fleury, they can wait now that Fleury waived his NMC for the draft.

I'm not saying the Penguins are desperate. I'm saying value wise it would be a questionable decision for LV to take him without getting some additional benefit in return.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm not saying the Penguins are desperate. I'm saying value wise it would be a questionable decision for LV to take him without getting some additional benefit in return.

What if the options presented were agree to take Fleury, or watch the Pens trade him to someone else post-season and trade away a dman too so they were only exposing Cole, Wilson and Kuhnhackl?

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
What if the options presented were agree to take Fleury, or watch the Pens trade him to someone else post-season and trade away a dman too so they were only exposing Cole, Wilson and Kuhnhackl?

The Pens would protect Letang, Dumoulin, Maatta, and Schultz leaving only Cole who has one year left on his contract. This would leave a forward like Hagelin and maybe even Hornqvist available because he is in his last year of his contract. I still think they would take Fleury because of those other goalies mentioned Fleury has been a long time starter and Cup winner and a great locker room leader. I can't see a better goalie to start your new franchise with. After Fleury taking out the 4th and 1st best record teams during these playoffs and how he handled his relationship with Murray they would be fools to pass on him. Do people want to take bets because that is how sure I am that Fleury will be taken.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
The Pens would protect Letang, Dumoulin, Maatta, and Schultz leaving only Cole who has one year left on his contract. This would leave a forward like Hagelin and maybe even Hornqvist available because he is in his last year of his contract. I still think they would take Fleury because of those other goalies mentioned Fleury has been a long time starter and Cup winner and a great locker room leader. I can't see a better goalie to start your new franchise with. After Fleury taking out the 4th and 1st best record teams during these playoffs and how he handled his relationship with Murray they would be fools to pass on him. Do people want to take bets because that is how sure I am that Fleury will be taken.

I am just as sure as you that Fleury is the player taken but I have a strong suspicion that this was the first side deal negotiated with the Knights as part of working with Fleury to waive. I don't think it was a substantial incentive (maybe a 3rd round pick or a b prospect because Fleury is a good goalie and it makes total sense with the correct term and it is not a terrible contract) but I think the Penguins are giving something to Vegas to ensure Fleury is taken.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
One thing fans overlook too in all this is that the Pens want to do right by Fleury. This might be about him helping the team by eating that expac draft requirement, while the end goal is getting him to a team that has a good roster but needs help between the pipes.

Team like Calgary for example. They'd probably be the best destination for him. Other possibilities too, like maybe Buffalo, but I wouldn't wish that place on my worst enemy.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria

If Schultz and Pouliot are on the table, why would LV volunteer to take Fleury?

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria

That's a whole other ball game. I'm under the impression Schultz and Pouliot are draft eligible. If the Penguins maneuver themselves in a way to make Fleury the best player available, then yes, I don't think Vegas would need to look for compensation to take Fleury. That's just not the scenario they're facing, at least not to my knowledge.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Because Pouliot isn't very good and there's no guarantee that Schultz would sign with Vegas or he'd be able to repeat what he did last year on a bad team.

Fair - but there's also no guarantee Fleury would be able to repeat what he did last year on a bad team.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Fair - but there's also no guarantee Fleury would be able to repeat what he did last year on a bad team.

Should check Fleury's stats when both Crosby and Malkin are out of the line up. He won Bylsma a Jack Adams based on that performance.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Fleury's a vet of over 800 games if you include his playoff resume, he knows the grind and he has experience playing on an expansion caliber team. He's pretty much as big of a lock to be picked from Pittsburgh as you can get. He'll be a great 1st year starter.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
If he really wants to be here, I figure that's half the battle.

I'd take a proven performer that wants to be in Las Vegas over a guy with potential that's pissed he got picked.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
If he really wants to be here, I figure that's half the battle.

I'd take a proven performer that wants to be in Las Vegas over a guy with potential that's pissed he got picked.

I'll admit I never really wanted Fleury, but now that it looks like he'll be the guy I'm okay with it. I just hope we pick Grubauer to be his backup - I'm worried McPhee will take Schmidt instead. Since it doesn't look like we'll get the Grubauer/Pickard battle I was hoping for, I hope we draft them both and trade one of them. Now that it looks like we're taking a side deal from CBJ for Clarkson which may involve us NOT taking Korpisalo, I think it's absolutely imperative that we draft Ullmark from Buffalo to play in the AHL. He's one of the best (if not THE best) of the waiver-eligible goalies available, and there's really not anyone else from the Sabres that interests me.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That's a whole other ball game. I'm under the impression Schultz and Pouliot are draft eligible. If the Penguins maneuver themselves in a way to make Fleury the best player available, then yes, I don't think Vegas would need to look for compensation to take Fleury. That's just not the scenario they're facing, at least not to my knowledge.

Yeah, right now the Pens will be exposing some pretty solid players as well as MAF (although Pouliot is not one of them sadly). Not saying otherwise.

What I'm saying is that, when McPhee and Rutherford were talking the expansion draft, the Pens did have some leverage back if McPhee thought he should be getting a pick/player to go with MAF. That the scenario when they were agreeing stuff in February (if they do have an agreement, which I believe they do) is one where the Pens could have made moves. That's all.

That said, maybe we do find out something else goes with MAF, wouldn't surprise me. Neither would MAF all on his ownsome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad