Let's talk about the potential VGK goaltending tandems

quesosauce

Feb 5, 2008
Denver
I like some of the FA names more than Pickard as the backup tbh. I wouldn't mind singing one of them and flipping Pickard just in case Fleury falters like he did when he had to do multiple starts in a row in Colorado. Then again Pickard would probably be on a cheaper contract than those FA signings.

flip pickard back to colorado for a draft choice? im sad about losing pickard...would vegas have taken varly if we protected picks?

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
MAF and Pickard are a solid tandem. You get a consistent average NHL starter in MAF who hasn't shown signs of regression and Pickard is a proven good NHL back-up. Berube is a throwaway really. He's UFA and if Vegas really wants to they can send him to the AHL. Highly doubt he'd be picked up off of waivers.

When I look at who Vegas chose those as their goalies what I see are placeholders. There's no "Stud Goalie of the Future" in MAF/Pickard/Berube. What the plan looks like is Vegas is going to go looking hard in the Entry Draft for that future starting goalie. That's what the plan looks like for the entire roster but most true for the goalie pipeline. If they selected Grubauer/Mrazek I think they'd wait until the later rounds and pick a goalie higher in the 2018 draft.

Now though? Looks like they're prepared to take one in the 2nd round at the latest.

Agreed we are going to see a goaltender drafted. Not necessarily too early since they're so hard to predict, but if they really like one of them yeah I could see them pulling the trigger in round 2.

I'd like to see them go with size in goal. Luukonen is probably my favorite this year but you also have Oettinger and Petruzzeli is huge. All are 6'4" plus, take one and stick him in the system and hope & pray.

Gotta think Luukonon would be "Lucky" Luuk in Vegas btw, nice connection there. :naughty:

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
im sad about losing pickard...would vegas have taken varly if we protected picks?

You think we would spend 12M on goalies.
Pickard was a gift, thank you so much, I want to keep him. Sad is he won't get many chances beside Fleury.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Agreed we are going to see a goaltender drafted. Not necessarily too early since they're so hard to predict, but if they really like one of them yeah I could see them pulling the trigger in round 2.

Drafting a goalie in the 2nd round is bad. They could have had Domingue, instead they took Pulkkinen. What a bunch of idiots.
With the knowledge they showed here, they will likely never succeed with all their draft picks.

Last edited:

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Drafting a goalie in the 2nd round is bad. They could have had Domingue, instead they took Pulkkinen. What a bunch of idiots.
With the knowledge they showed here, they will likely never succeed with all their draft picks.

Dude, you have to stop being so negative. We haven't even had our team for a full day yet. :laugh:

With all the picks we have, picking the top rated goalie with our 2nd isn't a bad idea. we'll have 6, 13, and 15 to select BPA we can afford to get Oettinger or Luukonen at 34.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I wouldn't draft a goalie anywhere in the first two rounds. There was a huge debate about it over in the Coyotes forum, with some very interesting figures. Basically the odds of getting a starting goalie are the same from the 1st round goalies and the late rounds. It's a total crap shoot. When you look at skaters though the higher you pick the higher odds of getting an NHL player.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I wouldn't draft a goalie anywhere in the first two rounds. There was a huge debate about it over in the Coyotes forum, with some very interesting figures. Basically the odds of getting a starting goalie are the same from the 1st round goalies and the late rounds. It's a total crap shoot. When you look at skaters though the higher you pick the higher odds of getting an NHL player.

If this were any other year I'd tend to agree, especially with how bad the record is for the predators when they pick a goalie in the first two rounds as opposed to 4th-7th, but having three firsts to start out makes it a little more comforting to risk a 2nd on a tender.

The way I figure it I'd draft the best rated goalie with 34 and then someone with a 4th-7th and see what happens.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
If this were any other year I'd tend to agree, especially with how bad the record is for the predators when they pick a goalie in the first two rounds as opposed to 4th-7th, but having three firsts to start out makes it a little more comforting to risk a 2nd on a tender.

The way I figure it I'd draft the best rated goalie with 34 and then someone with a 4th-7th and see what happens.
I'd still just use two late rounders on goalies. I'd also draft one pretty much every year, just nice and late in the draft. With goalies I think it's purely a numbers game.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Yeah, I'd draft one late every year as you can get the most bang for your buck at that point in the draft. You find a gem and you can trade him later.

Agreed. Draft one yearly, if you have a starter play him until his RFA years run out, if he wants big money or term ship him off and plug in the next one.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I laid this out for the Avs a while back but the best goalie draft guideline would be one goalie from the first three rounds and then the next two seasons take goalies in the later rounds. Obviously it's a guideline and meant to be flexible based on the situation each year. With this guideline though you always have a high end goalie prospect supplemented by late rounders who could develop into gems.

With the quality goalie depth in this year's draft and no low first rounders Vegas should aim for a goalie in the 3rd round to start their goalie prospect pool. Oettinger would be fantastic as he's a tier above every other goalie in this draft, a late bday putting him on a faster track to the pro's and already has one season in the NCAA completed as a starter. Vegas is just not going to take him without a 20th-31st overall pick though. If I were to make a suggestion to Vegas I'd say take Primeau/Zhukov. Petruzzelli won't be there in the 3rd round.

Drafting goalies is not a crap shoot for the record. The round that has provided the most goalies in the NHL is the 1st round followed by the 3rd and then the 2nd/5th. 19 of now 31 teams starting goalies are from the first three rounds of the draft. 9 of 15 of the most consistent starting goalies from this past season were from the first three rounds of the draft as well. The 8 out of 15 most consistent starting goalies of the past three years are from the first three rounds as well. In the last five years of Vezina voting the Top 3 has seen a goalie from the first three rounds 8 times out of 15 possible spots.

Here's an article that compares the Bust Rates of Goalies vs. Skaters from 2015.

There's value in taking goalies in the first three rounds of the draft. Don't let Jack Campbell scare you off. I like mid-2nd to mid-3rd for my goalies though I haven't done a whole lot of research into specific positions yet so it's just a feeling at this point.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Interesting, is that starters or including backups? I think the information I saw only had starters factored in.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Looks like GMGM is going to hit the UFA market for a goaltender.

I was actually going to start another thread about this very question: who will be our #3 goalie?

Assuming the Blues don't trade Hutton and he stays as Allen's backup, the Wolves already have the two STL AHL goalies from last year: Husso and Binnington.

What we need is a #3 goalie who'll go straight to Quad City and only sniff the NHL roster if Pickard/Fleury get hurt - it's the one true difficulty of this shared AHL agreement with the Blues.

That said, I think Sam Brittain is a great choice (nice that SinBin included him) - Gallant should have knowledge of him from Panthers training camp and he's got plenty of ECHL experience.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
So I guess this means Berube is a bit of a wasted pick? He's UFA and I'm very sure NYR will sign him with Hellburg off to the KHL.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Looks like GMGM is going to hit the UFA market for a goaltender.

I still think Berube would be the best fit for a 3rd goalie, but maybe he can't be sent down lower than the AHL. It really dosen't matter much since they don't want to be competitive, If Pickard or Fleury is injured someone will be called up.

Why is Fleury there if they don't want to be competitive.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'm guessing not being competitive is different than actually sucking in GMGM's mind. You've got to have someone to stop the stuff the skaters let through. He'll miss 1/10 of them, but it might keep you in games.

They don't have to be terrible, they just can't be good-ish.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
All three UFA's we selected in the expansion draft came with draft pick compensation - the Islanders one was the biggest haul. I do NOT consider Berube to be a "wasted pick".

I could have worded that better. What I meant was it would be nice to keep him or be able to trade his rights for something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad