Let's talk about the potential VGK goaltending tandems

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
So because a whole bunch of players bust it's a waste to draft them as well? Goalies bust at the same rate as players which is why scouting is important and doesn't change the fact that most starting goalies come from the first three rounds of the draft with 90% of starting goalies coming from the draft itself. When +50% of starting goalies in the NHL are undrafted goalies than you can definitively say drafting goalies is a waste. If you properly scout/develop goalies than it's not a waste. Same goes for picking any player in the draft. A poorly scouted/developed player will bust. But sure "goalies are voodoo so we'll just pay a 1st for a starter" works too.

Is the bolded true?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
No mention of Subban so far, he'd be my choice to back up.

I have a feeling Subban will be picked as well. if I was Vegas I would pick 1 experienced Goalie and 2 guys who haven't had a shot yet in the NHL. I might even pick 3 guys who haven't had a shot yet in the NHL, then sign a UFA for my starter(or even trade for one with a team looking to dump a goalie contract, say like Dallas)

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Is there a reason for wanting Subban when he's not even the best goalie prospect on the Bruins or is more of a "well we might end up with him so who cares?" type thing?

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Have two of these and you have a very strong tandem; Bishop, Fleury, Darling, Raanta, Reimer. With how the expansion draft is working getting either Fleury, Raanta or Reimer in the expansion draft should be a easy pickup. Then, you can slightly overpaid Bishop or Darling on a 3/4 years deal (cap hit won't be an issue for Vegas during those years). Goaltending could very well be Vegas strongest position when season starts.

Last edited:

Primakov!

Dec 9, 2003
Yesteryear
I love this topic because Vegas gets a clean slate to build their ideal goalie pipeline at all levels. Vegas should be going into the off-season with a shopping list that looks like this:

1 Expansion Draft Goalie to be in a 1A/1B Tandem (Loungo/Reimer, Antti Raanta, Philipp Grubauer, Ward/Lack)
1 ED Goalie to flip for picks
1 ED Goalie that is waiver exempt (Joonas Korpisalo, Antoine Bibeau, Linus Ullmark, Daniel Altshuller)

1 UFA Goalie to be in a 1A/1B Tandem (Darling, Mason)
1 UFA Goalie signed to either a NHL or AHL deal to be #4 on the depth chart
1 CHL/NCAA goalie to start in the ECHL

1 Draft Re-Entry goalie (coughDhilloncough)
1 High End Prospect (Oettinger/DiPietro/Primeau/etc)

This is a minimum of course and some can change depending on the AHL team situation. You might not need that #4 guy on a AHL or NHL deal if you are sharing the AHL organization with another NHL team. You do need at least four goalies under NHL contract and in the pro system for depth reasons.

From your list I wouldn't mind seeing a tandem of Philip Grubauer and Scott Darling battling for the role as the #1 goalie for the team.

If Michael DiPietro from the Windsor Spitfires falls to the 3rd round of the draft as some people like Kyle Woodlief from Redline Report is speculating then that might be an interesting prospect to take a chance on as well.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Have two of these and you have a very strong tandem; Bishop, Fleury, Darling, Raanta, Reimer. With how the expansion draft is working getting either Fleury or Reimer in the expansion draft should be a easy pickup. Then, you can slightly overpaid Bishop, Raanta or Darling on a 3/4 years deal (cap hit won't be an issue for Vegas during those years). Goaltending could very well be Vegas strongest position when season starts.

I've always had a lot of respect for Bishop. His down season this year also should make him more affordable than he would have been otherwise. So he's one of my top targets in FA but that said I'd be very careful on length of deal. If he wants a long term deal and big overpayment to ride into retirement I'd pass on him.

But him and Fleury between the pipes would be outstanding. Whatever happens it's pretty clear this team is going to look very good in goal.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Have two of these and you have a very strong tandem; Bishop, Fleury, Darling, Raanta, Reimer. With how the expansion draft is working getting either Fleury or Reimer in the expansion draft should be a easy pickup. Then, you can slightly overpaid Bishop, Raanta or Darling on a 3/4 years deal (cap hit won't be an issue for Vegas during those years). Goaltending could very well be Vegas strongest position when season starts.

Why Bishop, I wouldn't touch him.
Darling as a UFA depends on his salary. I wouldn't overpay for him.
Fleury is not the future.
Reimer might be protected.
Raanta we can only get in the draft and could be our draft choice.
If Varlamov is protected we likely draft Pickard.
And then we still have options in July.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Why Bishop, I wouldn't touch him.
Darling as a UFA depends on his salary. I wouldn't overpay for him.
Fleury is not the future.
Reimer might be protected.
Raanta we can only get in the draft and could be our draft choice.
If Varlamov is protected we likely draft Pickard.
And then we still have options in July.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/04/12...-varlamov-expose-pickard-for-expansion-draft/

Avs announce they'll be protecting Varlamov (exposing Pickard).

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Kinda surprised no one has mentioned pending UFA6, best AHL goalie, Troy Grosenick.

Probably because he'd be priority #4 in terms of goalies? Expansion draft goalies, entry draft goalies and NHL UFA's would all be above him in terms of importance. Now he depending on the AHL situation Grosenick would be a very good addition to any AHL team. He's a Top 5 goalie in the AHL and the only goalie with 10 shutouts on the season. Once again depending on the AHL situation it's possible that Vegas doesn't even bothering considering him.

From your list I wouldn't mind seeing a tandem of Philip Grubauer and Scott Darling battling for the role as the #1 goalie for the team.

If Michael DiPietro from the Windsor Spitfires falls to the 3rd round of the draft as some people like Kyle Woodlief from Redline Report is speculating then that might be an interesting prospect to take a chance on as well.

If DiPietro falls to the 3rd round and Vegas takes him I'll lose it on the Avs for trading away their 3rd round pick which is before Vegas. DiPietro would be a good pick up for Vegas and a good start to their goalie prospect pool.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Is there a scenario where Grubauer is available and Vegas doesn't take him?

When we should draft 10 skaters from other teams without contract (RFA/UFA).
When Orlov is not protected.
When we could sign Oshie.

If we draft Grubauer we might trade him.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Is there a scenario where Grubauer is available and Vegas doesn't take him?

If Washington has a forward or defenseman that is better Vegas would be better served going for that.

http://www.foxsports.com/nhl/story/vegas-golden-knights-mock-expansion-draft-roundtable-020717

I am just looking at washington's potential list of guys available, note sure they really have anything attractive if they do a 7-3-1 although for the sake of argument I really don't know how to rate their defensemen after the 3 I would protect(+ plus Alzner who is a UFA + Orpik who I wouldn't touch)

I have to admit I find all these "mock drafts" funny, as an Islanders fan I would love it if we lose Hickey, Bailey or Shane Prince(their 3 predictions) over what I expect us to lose(De Haan, Pulock, Strome, Nelson or Cizikas)

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If the assumption is that Fleury is going to be the starter, Pickard would be a good pickup as the backup/potential starter of the future.

Admittedly, I didn't watch a ton of Colorado this year....but Pickard was looking like a future starter in waiting prior to this season, and unless I am missing some context (very possible) it is plausible to assume that part of the reason why his numbers were so awful this season was because he happened to be in net for one of the poorest team season performances of this era.

The big advantage of taking Pickard is that unless you're extremely high on Grigorenko, the Avalanche will have nothing of use unprotected. So although other teams might have similar aged backup goalies with starter potential, Vegas wouldn't be passing on anything good by taking Pickard. Where as with another team, they might have a useful forward or defender.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I'm hoping they take Raanta as one of their goalie picks. It seems like he could be a good starting goalie in the future.

I wouldn't be surprised if the rangers are one of the teams that try offer Vegas something to take a bad contract. Even if they don't I can see Vegas being interested in Klein, if not for their roster then a turn around and trade to another team

Ship It To Vegas

Apr 14, 2017
I hope they go with a 1a/1b scenario. I am hoping Raanta and one of Grubauer or Darling even though he is 27 already and hope that one of them can prove to be elite in 2-3 years. Spending big money at goalie right now seems like a waste unless it's a scenario where Pittsburgh sends us a nice bonus for taking Fleury if he will waive.

archibald

Apr 14, 2017
At this point there's nothing keeping Vegas from picking Matt Murray, right?
We all assume that Pens gonna offer some kind of deal to keep Vegas' hands off one of their goailes.
But McPhee could just say no and take Matt Murray. And then you have one of the best goalies in the league for the next 8-10(?) years.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
We all assume that Pens gonna offer some kind of deal to keep Vegas' hands off one of their goailes.
But McPhee could just say no and take Matt Murray. And then you have one of the best goalies in the league for the next 8-10(?) years.

Everybody would draft Murray. I would trade him directly again. It should be possible to have a good tandem for 4M, Murray makes that nearly alone. Not interested in expensive goalies.

PIT would trade Murray before we could get him but since they want to keep him they have to offer something big.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Don't see Darling sign in Vegas, he wants a starter job, but with a contender team. The most realistic pick would be Bishop as I don't see the Kings choose him over Quick. Maybe Jimmy Howard as Mrazek won the #1 job. Back up Grubauer / Kuemper / Lack.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pittsburgh will buy out MAF before they let Murray be exposed. There's no scenario where Vegas ends up getting Murray directly from Pittsburgh. Either MAF waives his NMC for the draft/trade or he's bought out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad