OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I don't mean to imply that the production quality of Black Sails has gone down. If anything it's been ramped up. I just feel that the first season is the best one out of the three so far. It's a keeper but if you enjoy the show then the other seasons are worth watching as well.

Funny because from what I've heard, people are of the opinion that season 1 was really slow and they spent too much time on the island. I'm only at episode 7 but I have to agree that I would like a little bit more naval warfare/action. Season 2 is supposed to be a little more action packed.

Still, I really do enjoy it so far. It's visually striking, well acted, has an interesting story and is actually pretty funny at times. I had heard of it before but never gave it a chance. Thanks for the recommendation.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Are you trying to highlight cringe-worthy mainstream action movies from the 90s? Using Nicolas Cage and Stallone as a starting point?

Because if that's the case, I raise you the following from the 80s, using Stallone and Norris as a starting point:

Cobra
Missing in Action
Rambo II
Delta Force
Rocky III... and IV

And then you've got the likes of American Eagle or Black Rain, while we're at it.

The list could go on and on and on...

We can compare top movies from the 80s with top movies from the 90s. A debate is possible there. But if we're going down the drain for crappy, cringe-worthy movies, it's not even a contest. :laugh:

None of those are nearly as bad as 'Batman & Robin' which was a mega-budget mainstream film. Some of the movies you are listing, like 'Missing in Action' and 'Delta Force' were hardly "mainstream" action movies. They were el-cheapo Cannon productions that received limited releases and mainly lived on video.

If you're trying to suggest that the 80's was home to more crappy action films then the 90's, I suspect you are saying more about your age then the actual films. The 90's had more then it's share of utter and complete crap.

Let's not forget films like 'Beverly Hills Cop III' 'Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace' 'The Last Boy Scout' 'Speed 2: Cruise Control' 'Godzilla' 'Battlefield Earth' 'Hudson Hawk' 'Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot' I'm not cheating by going to little sleazy grind house studios like Cannon Films, either. This is all big budget major studio releases... and that's not even getting into the slew of video game movies that were even worse then the total crap listed above.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
When I was in the 90s, amongs grunge music and edgy movies, I was snobbish about the vapid 80s.

But now I realise the 80s were the best of times on every levels. There was a ton of crap and rock n roll esp. suffered but the pop was good. And good pop is priceless. I was listening to old Level 42 yesterday we don't see any pop of this level right now.

again, read my post right after this one.

and yeah, i went through the same '**** the 80's phase'. as a muscician ive always had far more afinity toward the more underground part of the 80's, but now that i am older and wiser, im fine with the more mainstream aspects of it as well and since i generally don't like pop, ill take your word for it that "we don't see any pop of this level right now". i have no earthly idea what is pop now. it usually takes me less than 5 second before i rage turn the radio off. that said, noone can deny that 80's mainstream is insipid as hell, and maybe that's part of the charm? its like the decade that refused to take itself seriously

isn't there a show called 'the 80's' about to start soon

back on topic: the movie i've seen the most growing up, easily Aliens. still watch it again about every 6 months. when i cameron gonna get back to making badass action movie instead of his orgies of CGI? because those were good times... maybe he lucas'd himself? "i am james cameron, i can do anything and still make a trillion space dollars"

edit: found it. 2013, miniseries.

"The '80s: The Decade That Made Us"

ill add this to my list

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Funny because from what I've heard, people are of the opinion that season 1 was really slow and they spent too much time on the island. I'm only at episode 7 but I have to agree that I would like a little bit more naval warfare/action. Season 2 is supposed to be a little more action packed.

Still, I really do enjoy it so far. It's visually striking, well acted, has an interesting story and is actually pretty funny at times. I had heard of it before but never gave it a chance. Thanks for the recommendation.

season one was slow. like, really slow. it took its time showing every character and their motivations and by the time it gets really interesting, the season is almost over. season 2 picks up; in a very good way. and haven't gotten to 3 yet.

Last edited:

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
I rewatched Last Action Hero a couple of months ago after not seeing it for about 15 years.

I remember liking it a lot when I was younger. Not that it was amazing or anything but it was fun to watch, though it had flaws.

In the last few years I heard that the movie was a box office flop and that most people didn't enjoy the movie. I was curious to see it again.

My thoughts now: That movie is a friggin masterpiece!!!There's so many references I didn't get when I was younger. You don't feel like you learned a lesson about life after watching it, but it's just pure fun to watch.You still might be among the 85% of people who don't like it though.

Last edited:

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
anyone watched this one? :laugh:

550a2658fa8e82445b81ad6d3b7377715ca4c06c.jpg

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
I rewatched Last Action Hero a couple of months after not seeing it for about 15 years.

I remember liking it a lot when I was younger. Not that it was amazing or anything but it was fun to watch, though it had flaws.

In the last few years I heard that the movie was a box office flop and that most people didn't enjoy the movie. I was curious to see it again.

My thoughts now: That movie is a friggin masterpiece!!!There's so many references I didn't get when I was younger. You don't feel like you learned a lesson about life after watching it, but it's just pure fun to watch.You still might be among the 85% of people who don't like it though.

seen it only once, in the theatre when it originally came out because: arnold. but i remember walking out of there with a giant "meh" on my face. haven't seen it since. i was young-ish, so iguess i need to watch it again

the opposite of this was the running man. loved it as a kid but now, even though its still fun and hell, its prime arnold, but the cheese is soooooooo thick in that movie. i swear theres a one liner every time he kills someone :laugh:

Killian: Drop dead!
Arnold: I don't do requests.

classic

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
season one was slow. like, really slow. it took its time showing every character and their motivations and by the time it gets really interesting, the season is almost over. season 2 picks up; in a very good way. and haven't gotten to 3 yet.

Day off and I got up to episode 4 of the second season. It's really ramping up. I can see why some people compare it to GOT.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
again, read my post right after this one.

and yeah, i went through the same '**** the 80's phase'. as a muscician ive always had far more afinity toward the more underground part of the 80's, but now that i am older and wiser, im fine with the more mainstream aspects of it as well and since i generally don't like pop, ill take your word for it that "we don't see any pop of this level right now". i have no earthly idea what is pop now. it usually takes me less than 5 second before i rage turn the radio off. that said, noone can deny that 80's mainstream is insipid as hell, and maybe that's part of the charm? its like the decade that refused to take itself seriously

isn't there a show called 'the 80's' about to start soon

back on topic: the movie i've seen the most growing up, easily Aliens. still watch it again about every 6 months. when i cameron gonna get back to making badass action movie instead of his orgies of CGI? because those were good times... maybe he lucas'd himself? "i am james cameron, i can do anything and still make a trillion space dollars"

edit: found it. 2013, miniseries.

"The '80s: The Decade That Made Us"

ill add this to my list

I wish Cameron would have continued his pratical effect phase of Aliens for a few more films. Such a flawless movie. That Alien Queen is more badass and well made and realistic than anything in Avatar.

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
seen it only once, in the theatre when it originally came out because: arnold. but i remember walking out of there with a giant "meh" on my face. haven't seen it since. i was young-ish, so iguess i need to watch it again

the opposite of this was the running man. loved it as a kid but now, even though its still fun and hell, its prime arnold, but the cheese is soooooooo thick in that movie. i swear theres a one liner every time he kills someone :laugh:

Killian: Drop dead!
Arnold: I don't do requests.

classic

yeah same thing happened to me when I saw Running Man a few years ago. It wasn't good anymore. But Last Action Hero aged well, compared to the other action movies since it's actually mocking those movies.It's cheesy as hell, but it's part of the concept.

Oh and there's this actor who played in a very popular series recently, which makes you think : Oh that was him!!!!, what a shocker!......... I knew I had seen him somewhere before!

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
My thoughts now: That movie is a friggin masterpiece!! There's so many references I didn't get when I was younger. You don't feel like you learned a lesson about life after watching it, but it's just pure fun to watch.You still might be among the 85% of people who don't like it though.

You can definitely put me in that 85 percent group. I thought it was an overwrought mess.

I'm a big fan of Shane Black (though it's odd to hire a great action screen writer to pen a film that is essentially a parody of his kind of movies) and I love William Goldman, who did a script polish and John McTeirnan is a solid action director so to assemble that kind of talent behind the camera and deliver such a turn was a huge let down when it was released.

I tried to give it another chance many years later, but it failed me in the same ways and I ultimately gave up on it.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The way Warner Brothers manages DC comics reminds me of how Molson/Bergevin manage the Habs.

No course correction in the wake of failure, just full speed ahead, as hard as possible, failures are a glitch and not due to any systemic flaw.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Let's not forget films like 'Beverly Hills Cop III' 'Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace' 'The Last Boy Scout' 'Speed 2: Cruise Control' 'Godzilla' 'Battlefield Earth' 'Hudson Hawk' 'Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot' I'm not cheating by going to little sleazy grind house studios like Cannon Films, either. This is all big budget major studio releases... and that's not even getting into the slew of video game movies that were even worse then the total crap listed above.

Hey! At least Phantom Menace had a great lightsaber duel. Hudson Hawk wasn't taking itself seriously. Neither did Stop or my mom will shoot.

I'm not saying the 90s didn't have bad movies. There was some serious crap coming out of that decade. But then again, an argument could be made that the 00s and 10s are worse because of all these crappy, cheap CGI movies like Sharknado.

But that's not the point.

The point is, movies like Rocky III, Rambo II or Commando are kind of representative of the 80s. Hudson Hawk or Last Boy Scout aren't exactly the first movies that come to mind when thinking about the 90s.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I rewatched Last Action Hero a couple of months after not seeing it for about 15 years.

I loved that movie. Absolutely adored it. Watched it about a million times when I was younger.
The tape recorder he uses when his ex-wife calls him is something I have used to make fun of relationships ever since I first saw it in that show. Brilliant. So spot on.
The way they make fun of Hollywood too was quite good.

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don

I remember when i seen it i wanted to seen again t2 insted of it

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
From Banshee, episode from last week where Rebecca (beautiful mayor's daughter and shady businesswoman) is taking a beating after venturing into enemy territory.

Her assailant getting her in a chokehold:

"The problem with being a pretty girl is that over time you get the idea that you can do or say whatever the **** you want. (laughs) I'm gonna do you a favor. I'm gonna remove the burden of beauty."

The type of exchange that Banshee has punctuated all of its episodes with -- a threat that amplifies the atrocity of the acts that follow it and keep you riveted. So far, Banshee delivers. Yet again.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Got through Episode 7, Season 1 of The Americans. It just keeps getting better.

In this episode, KGB seductress Nina shows a different side of her ... and there is a Montreal connection. Nina, tailor-made for the part.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
I watched Batman Vs Superman yesterday. The movie was pure garbage! It was Spider-Man 3 bad.

Spoilers

This is what left me saying wtf!

- The opening scene was overly dramatic
- Bruce spinning around in circles when he found the Bat Cave
- A horse roaming the streets after the destruction of Metropolis
- Lex Luthor is insane
- How does Lex aquire Zod? Maybe I missed it?
- Why is Wonder Woman trying to steal files if she can't decrypt them
- Batman using guns
- Batman kills people
- Batman says Superman is a threat to the world because he had a nightmare
- Kryptonite lightSabre
- As Batman tries to kill Superman with the Kryptonite lightSabre, Superman shouts " Save Martha! " Batman responds " Who's Martha!?!" " Why did you say that name!?! " Lois pops in and yells " That's his mother!" Batman decides not kill Superman because both Superman and his mother share the same name. They become best friends, join hands and sing kumbaya together....
- It also frequently jumps from scene to scene. It leaves you saying " Wtf just happened!"
- How did Lex create Doomsday?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad