OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
When I watched the movie I went in there wanting to watch a stupid over-blown action movie.

It just was not well put-together as far character development. Like for example The Rock shows up at the beginning and you don't see him for a long time before he reappears. It was a mess.

But the most annoying part that it was disguised as a F & F movie when really it was a Vin Diesel vehicule, almost like he was the producer and director and makeup artist of the movie. He did the best stunts, had all the character moments, it felt like the rest of cast were stand ins, even Paul Walker. The other movies of the series, it had a greater balance between all the characters where they had all their arks. Hell I will even admit Diesel is my favorite of these characters but this time, it felt so forced like it was Diesel looking at himself in the mirror saying to himself me me me for 2 hours. And he was exposed cause he's not a good actor so the fact that he had to carry the movie, all the times he had to emote was so stiff and lifeless and mediocre. Paul Walker was a real driver in real life, the best driver of the cast and he was reduced to bad fighting moments and all the best driving stunts were done by Diesel. I think it's a disgrace.

*rant over* :D

I kind of liked it for the same reasons you didn't. I acknowledge Vin Diesel isn't the best actor but I still like his character the most. I concede you're absolutely right about The Rock though, that was totally a missed opportunity IMO. Both are probably my faves in the series.

I still always joke around with buddies over that scene in the first movie:

Chinese guy: "Somebody knocked on me Torreto, and you know what... it was you"
*punches the guy in the face*
Dom: "I nevvvva knocked on nobody! I never knocked on nobody!!!!"

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
The thing about Fast & Furious, if you go into the movie with an attitude that you're going to point out every flaw and every reach you won't like it, because it isn't the best acting, it reaches big time with the action (unrealistic) and they are for sure flawed movies. But if you go into it just expecting to see a ton of action and nice cars, turn your brain off for an hour and a half you won't be disappointed. Just don't expect oscar worthiness of a film that isn't trying to be. Some of them are better than others, for example 3 is worth skipping entirely. I think some would agree 2 isn't anything special either. Personally, I liked the 1st one and the last one (7) the most.

They're action movies with a racing element. If you take movies way too seriously and feel every movie needs to be extremely meaningful you won't like it. If you like action movies and cars you're going to like them.

im just glad that for once, the villain doesn't want to destroy the world...

how many times had earth/new-york city simulacrum been wrecked last year?

its the go-to motivation now: destroy the world/universe/new-york simulacrum

yes, im looking at you every goddamn superhero movie :rant:

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

And it goes up to a whole other level in Batman v Superman: they destroy Metropolis... 18 months after destroying it. And they're probably gonna destroy it, along with Gotham, a few more times in the 17 sequels!

I can't even watch these movies in one sitting anymore. I literally fall asleep looking at all that meaningless destruction.

Jan 15, 2016
In a foxhole
The thing about Fast & Furious, if you go into the movie with an attitude that you're going to point out every flaw and every reach you won't like it, because it isn't the best acting, it reaches big time with the action (unrealistic) and they are for sure flawed movies. But if you go into it just expecting to see a ton of action and nice cars, turn your brain off for an hour and a half you won't be disappointed. Just don't expect oscar worthiness of a film that isn't trying to be. Some of them are better than others, for example 3 is worth skipping entirely. I think some would agree 2 isn't anything special either. Personally, I liked the 1st one and the last one (7) the most.

They're action movies with a racing element. If you take movies way too seriously and feel every movie needs to be extremely meaningful you won't like it. If you like action movies and cars you're going to like them.

Well put. Keywords in bold. Don't expect to go out of the theatre full of inner thoughts on the meaning of life. But to turn off noise of everyday life for 2 hours it's perfect. Chicks, cars, fights and over the top action = :popcorn:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Been too busy the last week or two to really watch anything, but I did sneak Doctor Foster in over the past weekend.

It's an interesting dynamic, but I found one major flaw with it that was too great to ignore. Can't really say what it is without major spoilers (the entire mini-series is based on this premise). This is a drama in the purest of its sense. Give it a try if bored, it might be worth it. I have to say that it captures your interest almost immediately.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
im just glad that for once, the villain doesn't want to destroy the world...

how many times had earth/new-york city simulacrum been wrecked last year?

They should have the premise as a split-screen: Battle of the Crumbling Simulacra: Statue of Liberty vs. San Francisco Golden Bridge. One of them always gets it.

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
Just finished the first season of Banshee... What a freaking ride!

If there's anyone who's on the fence based on the premise of the show just go for it (at least based on the first season)

President XD

Apr 30, 2014

If there's anyone who's on the fence based on the premise of the show just go for it (at least based on the first season)

I loved it and can't wait to re-up HBO this weekend when GoT starts. I'll be able to binge watch the first 4 episodes of season 4. May continue watching Ray Donovan as well and will catch up on season 6 of The Walking Dead.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

We've had quite a bit of support on Banshee from previous versions of this thread. Glad you are liking it.

This description catches the essence of the show for me:

Banshee has always been rooted in characters we can care about. No matter how bloody or absurd things get, the characters on the show are vulnerable and nuanced. Villains like Proctor and Chayton can win our sympathy, and heroes like Hood and Carrie bleed and suffer and sometimes fail terribly. This means that for all its insanity Banshee never feels shallow.

Too bad this Season 4 is where it ends, but perhaps it's for the better, they'll be exiting with a bang, still at the height of the show's best.

Jan 15, 2016
In a foxhole
We've had quite a bit of support on Banshee from previous versions of this thread. Glad you are liking it.

This description catches the essence of the show for me:

Too bad this Season 4 is where it ends, but perhaps it's for the better, they'll be exiting with a bang, still at the height of the show's best.

Damn... another recommended series. I can't keep up! Still have Blacksails, Vikings, FTWD and others on the back burner! :cry:

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009

This thread is 100% the reason why the show was on my radar/viewing queue in the first place but I (mistakenly) dismissed the possibility that it would be this entertaining

Now the idea is to pace myself to not catch up to the 4th season too quickly... I'm not liking my chances

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
for all its absurdity, i feel no shame saying Banshee is in my top 3 tv show at the moment. insane. haven't had this much fun watching a tv show in a looooooong time. its like the fast and furious of tv shows :laugh:

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
for all its absurdity, i feel no shame saying Banshee is in my top 3 tv show at the moment. insane. haven't had this much fun watching a tv show in a looooooong time. its like the fast and furious of tv shows :laugh:

That's EXACTLY how I reference/rank the show when I recommend it to friends/colleagues

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Btw, not long ago my gf made me watch the season 1 of Outlander too. The first episode is bad but is needed because it put you in context of the story. After that i was surprised, it was actually really good show with a lot of potential in the future. The sets and scenery are beautiful.

I never thought i would have seen a serie with more nudity and more sex scenes than in GoT, but it's done!

Thanks for recommending Outlander. I'm only two episodes in but so far I am liking it! Liking it more than The Americans which I am having a little bit of trouble getting into. I find the relationships in The Americans a bit too much like a soap opera and annoying and the whole premise is a bit unbelievable but I can see why people enjoy it.

From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series - I recommend watching the pilot. It was quite enjoyable. I liked Don Johnson and the performance and portrayal of the Gecko brothers in this. Watch the rest of the season if you like shows about the supernatural or the original movie. I enjoyed it enough to watch the the first and some of the second season.

19-2 - The first episode of the second season takes place in a school shooting. The entire episode was pretty intense and well done!

Utopia - This show is bloody brilliant! The show is so quirky, vibrant and colorful with an amazing soundtrack and memorable characters. I could see why this show is a cult classic.

Catastrophe - Reminds me a bit of Casual but with Catastophe being on an order of magnitude funnier with the british sarcastic style providing more laugh out loud moments. Plus let's be honest that whole brother and sister dynamic was kind of creepy lol.

Movies I've watch recently from this thread:

Un 32 Aout Sur Terre
Maelstrom
Source Code
October Sky

You could see the brilliance of Dennis Villeneuve early on. He's not just trying to make a movie, he's trying to tell a story with a message. I really liked Maelstrom and is worth watching even for an old movie. Gyllenhaal also great. Not sure he's made a bad movie yet.

On the Menu next:

Polytechnique and JFK.

P.S. I've been watching Welsh "Hinterland" on Netflix. Pretty dark, I like it. If you can understand Welsh accents that is, takes a bit of getting used to.

I take back what I said about understanding Welsh. Thank God for subtitles! Apparently they filmed all of the Welsh speaking parts twice. Once in English and once in Welsh. The show is much darker than either The Killing or Broadchurch.

Damn... another recommended series. I can't keep up! Still have Blacksails, Vikings, FTWD and others on the back burner! :cry:

Put Banshee on the top of that list followed by Blacksails.

Definitely easily top 3 tv show, up there with Breaking Bad.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Thanks for recommending Outlander. I'm only two episodes in but so far I am liking it! Liking it more than The Americans which I am having a little bit of trouble getting into. I find the relationships in The Americans a bit too much like a soap opera and annoying and the whole premise is a bit unbelievable but I can see why people enjoy it.

From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series - I recommend watching the pilot. It was quite enjoyable. I liked Don Johnson and the performance and portrayal of the Gecko brothers in this. Watch the rest of the season if you like shows about the supernatural or the original movie. I enjoyed it enough to watch the the first and some of the second season.

19-2 - The first episode of the second season takes place in a school shooting. The entire episode was pretty intense and well done!

Utopia - This show is bloody brilliant! The show is so quirky, vibrant and colorful with an amazing soundtrack and memorable characters. I could see why this show is a cult classic.

Catastrophe - Reminds me a bit of Casual but with Catastophe being on an order of magnitude funnier with the british sarcastic style providing more laugh out loud moments. Plus let's be honest that whole brother and sister dynamic was kind of creepy lol.

Movies I've watch recently from this thread:

Un 32 Aout Sur Terre
Maelstrom
Source Code
October Sky

You could see the brilliance of Dennis Villeneuve early on. He's not just trying to make a movie, he's trying to tell a story with a message. I really liked Maelstrom and is worth watching even for an old movie. Gyllenhaal also great. Not sure he's made a bad movie yet.

On the Menu next:

Polytechnique and JFK.

I take back what I said about understanding Welsh. Thank God for subtitles! Apparently they filmed all of the Welsh speaking parts twice. Once in English and once in Welsh. The show is much darker than either The Killing or Broadchurch.

Put Banshee on the top of that list followed by Blacksails.

Definitely easily top 3 tv show, up there with Breaking Bad.

Glad you liked that episode of 19-2 season 2 episode 1, ..it was amazing i thought

Also, Great call on Utopia, if people havent seen it yet i STRONGLY reccomend that you do! its amazing and beautifully shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad