OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
The way Warner Brothers manages DC comics reminds me of how Molson/Bergevin manage the Habs.

No course correction in the wake of failure, just full speed ahead, as hard as possible, failures are a glitch and not due to any systemic flaw.

Great post. :laugh:

The guy running Warner right now seems pretty insane.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
I watched Batman Vs Superman yesterday. The movie was pure garbage! It was Spider-Man 3 bad.

Spoilers

This is what left me saying wtf!

- The opening scene was overly dramatic
- Bruce spinning around in circles when he found the Bat Cave
- A horse roaming the streets after the destruction of Metropolis
- Lex Luthor is insane
- How does Lex aquire Zod? Maybe I missed it?
- Why is Wonder Woman trying to steal files if she can't decrypt them
- Batman using guns
- Batman kills people
- Batman says Superman is a threat to the world because he had a nightmare
- Kryptonite lightSabre
- As Batman tries to kill Superman with the Kryptonite lightSabre, Superman shouts " Save Martha! " Batman responds " Who's Martha!?!" " Why did you say that name!?! " Lois pops in and yells " That's his mother!" Batman decides not kill Superman because both Superman and his mother share the same name. They become best friends, join hands and sing kumbaya together....
- It also frequently jumps from scene to scene. It leaves you saying " Wtf just happened!"
- How did Lex create Doomsday?

haha wow. that bad :laugh:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
The horse is Comet, the Super Horse!

But while I enjoyed most of the movie the Martha part, my jaw was on the floor about how bad it was. "Save Martha!" I've never seen any kid adressing their parents by their first name.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
The point is, movies like Rocky III, Rambo II or Commando are kind of representative of the 80s. Hudson Hawk or Last Boy Scout aren't exactly the first movies that come to mind when thinking about the 90s.

If that's the point, it's a silly point.

When I think of 80's blockbusters, the films you mentioned aren't on the list.

I think of 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' 'The Empire Strikes Back' 'E.T. - The Extra Terrestrial' 'Ghostbusters' 'Back to the Future' 'Batman' and 'Die Hard.'

Last edited:

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
If that's the point, it's a silly point.

When I think of 80's blockbusters, the films you mentioned aren't on the list.

I think of 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' 'The Empire Strikes Back' 'E.T. - The Extra Terrestrial' 'Ghostbusters' 'Back to the Future' 'Batman' and 'Die Hard.'

Still doesn't compare to the equivalent 90s movies, IMO. Besides Die Hard, the movies you mention had little to no effect on the movies industry.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Still doesn't compare to the equivalent 90s movies, IMO. Besides Die Hard, the movies you mention had little to no effect on the movies industry.

I vehemently disagree that those don't compare to their 90's equivalents, in fact, I don't think the 90's can even offer an equivalent to 'Back to the Future,' 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' or 'Ghostbusters.'

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
Commando is best movie ever

Running Man is loaded with one-liners and cheezy futuristic 80s outfits. I'd argue that it's the best movie of its kind

But the tree-trunk-on-the-shoulder opening scene of Commando is truly epic as well

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Running Man is loaded with one-liners and cheezy futuristic 80s outfits. I'd argue that it's the best movie of its kind

But the tree-trunk-on-the-shoulder opening scene of Commando is truly epic as well

I'd say 'Commando's one liners are better too.

Plus, it's the origin of the fast/cut tight shot montage of the hero "gearing up" for battle that has become an action movie staple.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

Those movies had a huge impact on the movie industry. If you want big impact movies, look at evil dead, first blood, full metal jacket blade runner, raging bull, scarface, aliens and nightmare on elm street.

90s were better though.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Getting deeper and deeper into "The Americans". Now at episode 12 of Season 1, there is an neat ebb and flow of various plot lines. Good job on capturing the feel of the 80s. Those turf wars involving various factions of the same group who aren't in contact with each other, add further layers of interest. Every situation plays out on multiple levels. Recommend so far.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Started watching this new show "The Catch" last night.

With Mireille Enos from The Killing and Peter Krause from the Six Feet Under.

Not bad. The plot was all over the place for me but from what I understood, I liked some elements from it. It's about a Security Company trying to catch a con man.(I think) The woman who runs it knows the con man and anyway it leads to the guy at the end to give the money he got to the woman, cause he still loves her, you see. At the end, it came off like a sort of a Moonlighting but they play it straight. Sort of like a CSI but where there's many enemies and the obvious enemies actually like each other.

It is very unrealistic and sexual, most of the characters are incredibly good looking. I mean you had characters that were having lover quarels during criminal investigations.

Both Mireille and Peter are great in this, I've never found her sexy before and has never really played it but she is unbelivably sexy in this. And overall her acting is pretty great. Esp. her reaction when her ex turned on her side. Sort of a Clooney-Lopez Out of Sight moment.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Cameron announced he was going to make FOUR more Avatar movies.

Why.

how money will it make? all the moneys....

crazy ******* went from "im gonna make two more" to four?

why won't the guy just go back to doing what he's actually great at doing, not this farcical bs

http://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2016/04/james-cameron-will-make-four-more-avatar-movies/

here a wee article with just the right amount of sarcasm

or to quote vox: "making sequels out of spite"

cameron said:
Someone showed me a tweet by this woman Dana something. Dana Smith? And it was, I’m paraphrasing here, but basically something along the lines of see how many of you can name one character or one line of dialogue from Avatar. And the implication was that nobody could, because the film, despite making a lot of money, didn’t make a huge impression on people. So I got my team together and showed them this tweet and said, you know, what do we do about this. And we came up with a lot of ideas, just kinda put everything on the table. But the one we kept returning to was making four Avatar sequels instead of just the one we were planning. The idea being that if we had five Avatar movies spanning, you know, two decades or whatever, and people were constantly being bombarded with Avatar from every direction, something would have to stick. So really, it all started with a tweet. Which is kind of amazing when you think about it.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
how money will it make? all the moneys....

crazy ******* went from "im gonna make two more" to four?

why won't the guy just go back to doing what he's actually great at doing, not this farcical bs

http://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2016/04/james-cameron-will-make-four-more-avatar-movies/

here a wee article with just the right amount of sarcasm

or to quote vox: "making sequels out of spite"

How incredibly brash of them to stretch out a concept so far despite the usual red flags that you find in other overstretched sequels that have gone terribly wrong.

Artitistic integrity doesn't really matter when sheep are available and are expected to keep flocking. The morons deserve their Avatards.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Avatar doesn't really deserve the hate it gets. If the exact same movie were made with an existing IP with long-running reputation people would be excited.

This is a director developing his own concept and doing so in an original way.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Avatar doesn't really deserve the hate it gets. If the exact same movie were made with an existing IP with long-running reputation people would be excited.

I really dislike the movie but you're right. It really wasn't the worst movie. It actually had a lot going for it. The "hate" stems from many people hyping it up like crazy and acting as if it was some sort of revolutionary film but the truth is that it was a very basic film with nice visuals that came out at the perfect time (start of 3D). Media and marketing did a great job advertising the movie and some believe everything they see so we saw many people going around saying it's the greatest movie ever and all that. Now that's setting the bar pretty high so when I plopped the Blu ray in, I was expecting to be blown away. All I got was Dances with Wolves with big blue things.

It's the same reason people will go around hating Apple or Honda Civic. People who have it claim it's the best without ever having tried any other product and that annoys people.

5 movies is overkill though lol. 1 was enough.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing

i knew it was never gonna be "OMG YOU HAVE TO SEE IT BEST MOVIE EVER! GOTTA SEE IT IN 3D OMG COME ON!!!!" that everyone - literally everyone - were trying to push me to see. i knew it was all hype and i was just gonna go to the theatre, not be impressed and walk out in a bad mood.

so i bought the blu ray when it came out.

other than the hype, which cames from your dumbass friends, there's not a lot to hate. its a competent movie on all account and most of all its 'original'. the quotation marks are because it really should have been named 'dancing with the na'avi' but w/e, plenty of good movie borrow plots from other movies, i ain't mad

it was better than the last star wars. that's for damn sure

that said, i STILL don't understand how it made all the moneys...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I was watching lost on netflix and today I cant find it?

what happen? Did they remove it?

They remove stuff when the license runs out and is not renewed.

I checked this site for removed or leaving-soon items from Netflix and didn't see Lost: http://www.whats-on-netflix.com/leaving-soon/

However, the site seems to be for USA Netflix, and contents varies from one country to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad