OT: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I've been mostly watching UK shows lately. I've grown to prefer them to US productions generally over the past 6 months or so. Although I've dabbled in them over the years (Luther, Sherlock Holmes, Peaky Blinders) my true gateway was really River. It left a deep mark on me and I guess I've been looking for more of where that came from.

UK stuff is inherently darker than its American counterpart and I like that a lot. It's also a lot more stingy on budget typically and that somehow feels more real to me. Another thing is that some of the best Britain has to offer are mini-series that don't span over a long period of time. You don't grow tired of them and they have that finality about them.

Recently I saw Hinterland, Broadchurch, Happy Valley and now on Midsomer Murders. To be honest, none of these can hold a candle to something like River, but I find them enjoyable nonetheless.

Yes, the plan is to binge-watch all of Midsomer Murders consecutively, unless I grow tired of it at some point in the future. I like it as a mindless entertainment with that English village mystique thrown in that I enjoy. It's all very fictional of course, but I find it fun.

Thanks for that. Lots of suggestions to dabble in, sounds intriguing.

Knackys

Jul 21, 2014
Luther, Sherlock, Peaky Blinders and Broadchurch (season 1) are all good shows!

I love British series because most of the time you only have to watch 6-8 episodes by season.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
They make pretty good comedy as well. I remember when I lived there I really liked Peep Show. I Deal was pretty funny too.

Although I don't generally watch comedy, I find Catastrophe to be pretty much the only one that I have enjoyed in years.

Not quite sure who it's produced by but its humor is definitely of British flavor.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Didn't the British give us the best comedy ever invented... Benny Hill? And of course Mr Bean many years later.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Didn't the British give us the best comedy ever invented... Benny Hill? And of course Mr Bean many years later.

Although those are fine examples of physical comedy done right, I always admired that dry British humor more. The Americans can't replicate it for one reason or another.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Recently I saw Hinterland, Broadchurch, Happy Valley and now on Midsomer Murders. To be honest, none of these can hold a candle to something like River, but I find them enjoyable nonetheless.

If you are going to go down the British route then I highly recommend starting with River. It was a life altering and impacting experience for me. It was that good. Followed by Sherlock, the show that put Benedict Cumberbatch on the map.

Funny that you would mention Hinterland. It's been described as the Welsh Kiling. Oddly enough I have no trouble understanding their accent, much easier for me to understand than actual brits or say Irish for example. Maybe I'm just crazy lol.

There are a few UK series that I want to wet my appetite with as soon as I am finished with The Americans. Broadchurch, Utopia, The Leftovers and maybe Peaky Blinders.

Forgot to add Black Mirror. Almost gave up after the first episode but episode 2-3 were crazy and well worth it.

Last edited:

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
In hindsight, the 1990s do seem culturally bankrupt, but I suspect I feel that way because I was a teen in the 1990s.

Come on, now. The 90s had some huge failures, I'll give you that. But it also had Nirvana, Radiohead, Pulp Fiction etc. Also less hairspray and toning down the synth, which was a good thing just by itself.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Come on, now. The 90s had some huge failures, I'll give you that. But it also had Nirvana, Radiohead, Pulp Fiction etc. Also less hairspray and toning down the synth, which was a good thing just by itself.

the 90's had no more failures than any other decades. artistically, the 90's were a reaction to the 80's glam, the 00's were a reaction to the 90's gloom, and round and round the world goes...

personally, the 80's had some fantastic movies buried in an ocean of ****. musically, it was the most vapid and insipid thing i have ever head. a decade fueled by cocaine

*insert rick james joke here

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

Don't forget this guy:

city-lights-charlie-chaplin-14440701-1600-1213.jpg

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal

Although those are fine examples of physical comedy done right, I always admired that dry British humor more. The Americans can't replicate it for one reason or another.

I agree that the British gave us the best of comedy, but not with Benny Hill and Mr. Bean (although the latter is funny).

Like GoodKiwi said, I prefer their dry wit and also the way they have of being clever yet silly all at once.

They tend to do more self-depricating and "uncomfortable" (not quite the right word but you know, the Office kind) humor. I can't remember which british comic came up with but I've heard one say that the difference between an american comedian and a british comedian is that the american comes in the room with the attitude that says "I have the biggest dick" whereas british comics usually act more like they have the tiniest penis and make people laugh at it. :laugh:

If you havent seen The Inbetweeners yet

please do so lol

I haven't but it's on my "To watch" list along with the IT Crowd, Skins, and Utopia. Have you seen these three other series?

There are a few UK series that I want to wet my appetite with as soon as I am finished with The Americans. Broadchurch, Utopia, The Leftovers and maybe Peaky Blinders.

Forgot to add Black Mirror. Almost gave up after the first episode but episode 2-3 were crazy and well worth it.

You should bump Peak Blinders right at the top of that list mate. I just can't wait for the next season.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Speaking of intriguing British dramas...has anyone seen "Doctor Foster" yet? My partner wants to watch it together over the weekend.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4602768/

Looked it up. One season, 5 episodes. Guardian and others with positive reviews. Apparently, door left open for a sequel. They say it's a "Jacobean" drama. Not sure what that entails, other than a reference to the period of James I.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
the 90's had no more failures than any other decades. artistically, the 90's were a reaction to the 80's glam, the 00's were a reaction to the 90's gloom, and round and round the world goes...

personally, the 80's had some fantastic movies buried in an ocean of ****. musically, it was the most vapid and insipid thing i have ever head. a decade fueled by cocaine

*insert rick james joke here

Agreed. Especially on the music*.

*minus Metallica

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013

The 90's was full of culture! I would argue a great portion of culture died when Cell Phones blew up.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I can't seem to find anything right now of the calibre of 11.22.63. I was so absorbed, I couldn't wait to get to the final episode. Was it that good or was it just really appealing to me on some personal level? It had everything, I almost feel like watching it all over again.

But before I do ... what have you found to be as engrossing as 11.22.63?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad