OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Finished Mandalorian season 2 after putting it aside considering how weak I found the season opener to be.

It's far from a perfect show, but the payoff in the season finale made up for all the weaker parts. A single scene made season 2 as a whole more compelling than the entirety of the sequel trilogy.

Also, thumbs up to Bill Burr, interpreting Bill Burr. It felt like listening to his podcast ramblings :laugh:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Given how many here like Star Wars you can buy an instant pot that looks like this. :) Williams-Sonoma is the only place to get it but I noticed they are in Canada as well.

img47o.jpg

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
What's it about, LG?
It's a Japanese horror film. But it doesn't start out that way.

A Japanese Film executive loses his wife at the beginning of the movie and seven years later starts thinking about finding someone. His buddy suggests they create a film about him looking for his future wife with different contestants who can audition for the role. That way he'll meet all kinds of women and one of them is sure to be his match.

Be careful what you wish for.

It's not a conventional horror movie by any stretch. But there are some very shocking scenes in it.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
It's a Japanese horror film. But it doesn't start out that way.

A Japanese Film executive loses his wife at the beginning of the movie and seven years later starts thinking about finding someone. His buddy suggests they create a film about him looking for his future wife with different contestants who can audition for the role. That way he'll meet all kinds of women and one of them is sure to be his match.

Be careful what you wish for.

It's not a conventional horror movie by any stretch. But there are some very shocking scenes in it.

Thanks for the description. Think my GF will like it, it's right up her alley.

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
I watched the first 4 seasons of The expanse and I really liked it even though it does not reinvent the genre.

It's a mix of
-BattleStar Galactica (narrative structure of multiple storylines and a slow pace)
-Stargate Universe (portal to other planets and discovery of technology of an ancient race that was eliminated)
-Firefly/Dark matter (independent spaceship crew)

Like I said it's not 100% original but I still enjoy the show a lot.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just noticed that the Power spinoff series Power Book 2: Ghost from Starz is starting up on Sept 6th. The Tariq character annoyed the hell out of me during the original Power series but I'll still give this a shot but I don't have high hopes for this but you never know. Hopefully they bring Tommy back at some point.

I can now fully relate to your comment having just finished the original Power series. That Tariq character lacks depth, charisma, logic, you name it. There is nothing remotely salvageable from both the character and the actor -- they are both repugnant on so many levels.

And here they are hanging their hats on this Tariq fail in Book 2.

They killed off the wrong guy when they ended the original Power series.

And now that I saw Book 2 and seen what Tasha looks like without her wig, all I can say is: :eek::eek::eek:

I'm at episode 3 of Book 2 and have zero compassion or identification with anyone -- I'm just waiting for everyone to get taken out of the story. What a lame ass cast they went forward with here. I'm watching with a lot of reluctance. Biggest payoff would be Tasha and her idiot son getting their comeuppance. And not having to be exposed to so much hip hop music once I quit this thing for good.

Last edited:
Reactions: sheed36

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I can now fully relate to your comment having just finished the original Power series. That Tariq character lacks depth, charisma, logic, you name it. There is nothing remotely salvageable from the both the character and the actor -- they are both repugnant on so many levels.

And now that I saw Book 2 and seen what Tasha looks like without her wig, all I can say is: :eek::eek::eek:

I'm at episode 3 of Book 2 and have zero compassion or identification with anyone -- I'm just waiting for everyone to get taken out of the story. What a lame ass cast they went forward with here. I'm watching with a lot of reluctance. Biggest payoff would be Tasha and her idiot son getting their comeuppance. And not having to be exposed to so much hip hop music once I quit this thing for good.
Tell us how you really feel about it though...lol

I didn't dare to start that one, the trailer looked so disappointing. Tariq was such an annoying character, not sure how people will connect here.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I can now fully relate to your comment having just finished the original Power series. That Tariq character lacks depth, charisma, logic, you name it. There is nothing remotely salvageable from the both the character and the actor -- they are both repugnant on so many levels.

The moment they decided to go with that Tariq storyline was when everything went to hell for that show. Such a shame because it started off with so much promise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Tell us how you really feel about it though...lol

I didn't dare to start that one, the trailer looked so disappointing. Tariq was such an annoying character, not sure how people will connect here.

The moment they decided to go with that Tariq storyline was when everything went to hell for that show. Such a shame because it started off with so much promise.

Glad I’m not alone in thinking how that Tariq guy is completely unrelatable.

However, nothing beats seeing Tasha without her wig. Talk about things that can’t be unseen.

Also, some real lazy writing. The original Power had Kanan and Dre. Book 2 has Kane and Dru. Why do that.

And of course, as in the original, this Tariq guy is coated with Teflon.

Reactions: sheed36

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I can now fully relate to your comment having just finished the original Power series. That Tariq character lacks depth, charisma, logic, you name it. There is nothing remotely salvageable from both the character and the actor -- they are both repugnant on so many levels.

Why bother at all?

I quit on it after less than 20 minutes.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004

However, nothing beats seeing Tasha without her wig. Talk about things that can’t be unseen.

Also, some real lazy writing. The original Power had Kanan and Dre. Book 2 has Kane and Dru. Why do that.

It was so painful watching the last season or two of Power because of Tariq storyline. No chance i waste time watching this new one if Tariq is still main character.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

:laugh: I told you he was a god awful character and annoying AF. If I had to pick which character was more annoying between Tariq and Dana Brody from Homeland I'd say it's a tie since they were both god awful. Also agree with annoying Tasha without her wig. Quite the difference in appearance with and without.

I've been watching Book 2 mostly because there isn't much else to watch. Tariq seems a little more tolerable but he's still quite bad. I'm kinda hoping hothead Tommy makes an appearance before the season ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad