OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Since you mentioned Tom Burke do you mean the BBC crime show Strike or C.B. Strike as I've also seen it called. If so it's a very good show and I enjoyed it very much. I quite like Holliday Grainger. :)

C.B. Strike: C.B. Strike

I didn't know there was a BBC crime show called Strike. Was it related to this series?

Grainger is solid in her role. Of course, she's also easy on the eyes. :popcorn:

Reactions: sheed36

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
C.B. Strike: C.B. Strike

I didn't know there was a BBC crime show called Strike. Was it related to this series?

Grainger is solid in her role. Of course, she's also easy on the eyes. :popcorn:

I think it's the same series with the title just renamed from Strike to C.B. Strike when it aired in Canada and the US.

Yes Grainger is quite easy on the eyes for sure and she does a great job in this series. I remember her also from The Borgias which I quite liked as well.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I love broadcaster Chris Rose. I've only experienced his work on Battlebots where his quips are downright gut-splitting.

Just watched an episode involving a fight between two giant bots that became tangled and he blurted "these two are now intertwined -- looks like a pair of moose in mating season". :laugh: Coming up with off color descriptions like that has been Rose's bread and butter during all the years I've watched Battlebots and they crack me up every time. Something about his voice inflection just adds an extra layer of humor.

I wish he were doing hockey. Plus, he seems to be one hell of a nice guy. And nice guys should always be celebrated, there are not enough of them to go around.

I wish I had followed him on other platforms:

He comes across as genuine and down to earth in the above clip, he's turned me into an even bigger fan.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Just went through one of my storage drives and here's a list of some of the UK/Irish/Scottish TV shows/mini series that I've watched over the years that I have saved. I'm sure GoodKiwi has seen most of these as well.

Bancroft
Bodyguard
Case Histories
Copper
Des
Happy Valley
Honour
In Plain Sight
In the Dark
Manhunt
Line of Duty
Luther
Ripper Street
- Only watched the first 3 seasons since I thought it had ended with season 3 but it seems there's been a season 4 since then and a final season 5 later.
River
Sherlock
Strike
The Bay
The Fall
The Level
The Secret
The Victim

Some were quite good and while others weren't as good I still had enough interest to keep watching. It's been a while since I've watched a few of these so I don't really remember all that much about some of these now. Might give some of these a re-watch later.
Just finished Line of Duty, I’m not sure what to think. I found myself watching intently, but it seemed a bit silly too.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
I think I'm solo in thinking its getting some really harsh criticism. I don't think its a classic by any means but its rated 5.8 on imdb. Worse movies are rated significantly higher so I'm kind of baffled.

I think its probably a ~6.5 ish movie but this seems to be dragging down into a failing grade which is surprising.

Some issues with the story but I was entertained throughout the movie.
Nope, bad acting, bad CGI, dragged out story, terrible trifecta.

Also, Gal Gadot may be hot but she has the acting skills of tree #3 in any given kids school play.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Just went through one of my storage drives and here's a list of some of the UK/Irish/Scottish TV shows/mini series that I've watched over the years that I have saved. I'm sure GoodKiwi has seen most of these as well.

Bancroft
Bodyguard
Case Histories
Copper
Des
Happy Valley
Honour
In Plain Sight
In the Dark
Manhunt
Line of Duty
Luther
Ripper Street
- Only watched the first 3 seasons since I thought it had ended with season 3 but it seems there's been a season 4 since then and a final season 5 later.
River
Sherlock
Strike
The Bay
The Fall
The Level
The Secret
The Victim

Some were quite good and while others weren't as good I still had enough interest to keep watching. It's been a while since I've watched a few of these so I don't really remember all that much about some of these now. Might give some of these a re-watch later.

I've become an addict of British TV shows lately. I'm in the first season of Jack Taylor with Ian Glenn(Jorah Mormont in GOT). I love it. Jack may be one my favorite characters I've ever watched. It's a simple concept but it just works. Brits are just the best at doing crime thrillers.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I've become an addict of British TV shows lately. I'm in the first season of Jack Taylor with Ian Glenn(Jorah Mormont in GOT). I love it. Jack may be one my favorite characters I've ever watched. It's a simple concept but it just works. Brits are just the best at doing crime thrillers.

Jack Taylor? I don’t think we’ve had anyone mention that one. So much to discover, thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Kimota and sheed36

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

Haven't watched Jack Taylor so another to add to my list to check out. Thanks for the heads up. Agreed about the Brits doing crime shows right.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Just finished episode 4 of Your Honor, damn, it is getting really good. It's one of those shows that works so smoothly, scene to scene. Each episode is roughly an hour but it feels like 20 minutes of viewing.

I've been enjoying it as well and it is indeed getting better with each episode. One thing that I've noticed is the buzzing sounds the lights make during some indoor quiet scenes just like in Breaking Bad and BCS.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I think I'm solo in thinking its getting some really harsh criticism. I don't think its a classic by any means but its rated 5.8 on imdb. Worse movies are rated significantly higher so I'm kind of baffled.

I think its probably a ~6.5 ish movie but this seems to be dragging down into a failing grade which is surprising.

Some issues with the story but I was entertained throughout the movie.

There were SOME good elements but I feel like they badly hammered out the "make a wish" concept and it kept bothering me what that meant during the whole movie. *spoilers*

OK the guy becomes the rock. He make wishes happens but gets to get what he wants with the person that make the wish? Wah? The motivations of the characters were all over the places too. And with wishes appearing out of thin air, why did Steve have to take over another man's body? That was so pointless. Not to mention that Chris Pine didn't have much to do character-wise. The woman bad guy was another Edward Nigma/Elektro cliche nerd character bent on revenge. And when she gets a wish she want to be an Apex predator but it turns her into a cat lady. Why? Not to mention she kept her appearing and disapearing during the movie. Just an uninteresting character. Pedro Pascal is a great actor but his character was all over the place and hard to watch. His whole arc was pointless, giving wishes to everybody? Why? He supposedely had a relationship with his son but then his son disappears for a big chunk of the movie. This movie felt like it was butchered by many editors.

Furthmore, I just don't see the point of picking this idea for a Wonder Woman movie. What did this have to do with her? This is some childhish concept that we could find in an episode of Charmed or something. In the first movie, they had her discover man's World and put her in the tick of World War One. This is something that means something with her being a sort of messenger of peace. This time it felt quite shallow and too comic-book-y. Second movie could have been her reaction to the second World War. You have her involve herself with various conflicts in several movies. Here she fought a cartoonish villain cause of a magic rock and they act as if she's a new hero even though she has been in "Man's World" since the early 1900s. She misses Steve...I mean she had no other men since that time? lol Someone like her given her abilities must have been a celebrity by 1984, talking to World leaders. No way she could have kept being involved in secret.

Whole thing was a mess. I've liked some of the action but even that was not incredible. My favorite parts were the beginning with the Amazon contest and when Diana started flying. I think they were good cause they were the most detached from the main plot. But anyway most of it was hard to watch for me.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Haven't watched Jack Taylor so another to add to my list to check out. Thanks for the heads up. Agreed about the Brits doing crime shows right.

I picked it up on E-Bay and before the show there were several trailers of British TV shows on the DVD and I was salivating like crazy of all the potential stuff I would have to watch. Most of them I had no idea existed. I believe it's because they were all made but the same company called "Acorn". They have a website I plan to go to at some point.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I picked it up on E-Bay and before the show there were several trailers of British TV shows on the DVD and I was salivating like crazy of all the potential stuff I would have to watch. Most of them I had no idea existed. I believe it's because they were all made but the same company called "Acorn". They have a website I plan to go to at some point.

Never heard of it until you mentioned it above so I'll try and hopefully hunt that down to watch it later. :thumbu:

Reactions: Kimota

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Just finished Season 3 of Fargo. Hands-down my favourite season of Television since Breaking Bad. Varga was an exceptionally well-acted bad guy, and both he and Yuri were masterfully written. Very much in the Coen Brothers vein, it struck the perfect balance between darkly comedic, suspenseful and surreal.

I have next to no free time (even worked Christmas Day and Boxing Day) and still managed to finish it in a week.

Anyone else watched any of this series?

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Just finished Season 3 of Fargo. Hands-down my favourite season of Television since Breaking Bad. Varga was an exceptionally well-acted bad guy, and both he and Yuri were masterfully written. Very much in the Coen Brothers vein, it struck the perfect balance between darkly comedic, suspenseful and surreal.

I have next to no free time (even worked Christmas Day and Boxing Day) and still managed to finish it in a week.

Anyone else watched any of this series?

Good to hear it was this good. I've seen seasons 1 and 2 of Fargo but haven't yet watched seasons 3 and 4 so I'd best get watching soon it seems.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Fargo lift itself up way too high during its debut season IMO.

All downhill after that IMO. Season 3 I couldn't even finish.

I'm not trying to crap on the series, just saying it how it feels like. What BBT and, especially Freeman did in season one can hardly be touched.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Good to hear it was this good. I've seen seasons 1 and 2 of Fargo but haven't yet watched seasons 3 and 4 so I'd best get watching soon it seems.
I really enjoyed season 1, but only saw season 2 in bits. Season 3 hooked me immediately and for me, was the best.

I’ve heard very mixed things about season 4, but since it’s not on Netflix I’m not sure I’ll get to watch it.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I finally watched The Sting. What a fantastic movie. I can’t believe I hadn’t seen it until now.

started watching Schitts creek. It’s okay. I would describe it as Watchable.

The Sting is just great. I also watched it pretty recently only a few years ago. That is when you realise there are so many great movies from the past that most people have not seen. It's an amazing candy shop of the greatest freaking candies waiting to be tasted. But it is most of the time completely ignored. Like for instance I knew all the classic Woody Allen movies but last year out of nowhere I picked up "Interiors" by him, something made in the 80s(I think?) that I knew nothing about and a rare one that he was not starring in it at the time. It just blew me away. Completely different from most of his movies. Might be my favorite of his, in fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->