OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Death to 2020 (Netflix)

Oh this is one f***ed up documentary, if you can call it that......it's a like dark comedy made like a documentary on 2020 with a very dark humor. Unique, loved it. Laugh more than the usual Bye Bye.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We just got prime for a month and I'm kind of liking it.

A lot of the movies I re-watch are in my hard drive but simply too lazy to retrieve. So Oblivion gets a re-watch simply because it's easy to do.

Looking forward to Dune and a few others. I hear they will skip the movie houses and go straight to downloading, err, I mean pay-to-watch.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I had watched The Unicorn (Global, on demand) on its first season.

I'm catching up now on the few episodes that have turned in for Season 2.

I like the show mostly because its cast -- I've followed most of them on other shows they were in so I like seeing them playing someone completely different. They're all likeable. The show is kind of vanilla and very wholesome but it's also something I found to be lighthearted enough when I don't feel like getting invested into a deeper series or something more dramatic and intense.

BEY6U9c.jpg

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Anyone has a list of favorite movies and favorite shows they're watching or have on tap right now?

Currently watching Your Honor, Temple and A Teacher but as all of these are in progress, have to wait every week for new episodes.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Anyone has a list of favorite movies and favorite shows they're watching or have on tap right now?

Currently watching Your Honor, Temple and A Teacher but as all of these are in progress, have to wait every week for new episodes.
The second season of Pennyworth is happening.

Reactions: Deebs

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Wonder Woman 2 was terrible.

I kept scratching my head all throughout baffled. Who thought this story was a good idea?

I think I'm solo in thinking its getting some really harsh criticism. I don't think its a classic by any means but its rated 5.8 on imdb. Worse movies are rated significantly higher so I'm kind of baffled.

I think its probably a ~6.5 ish movie but this seems to be dragging down into a failing grade which is surprising.

Some issues with the story but I was entertained throughout the movie.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I w:as looking for a new series to follow. Nothing recent got my attention so I decided to look at suggestions offered at the onset of this thread.

Lethal White is at the top of my list (I'll definitely watch it in the order suggested by GoodKiwi)

Yes, and make sure you start at the very beginning. That's important.

There aren't season's here really. They're mini-series, but, yes, there's a thread joining everything together (no, not some silly conspiracy theory or alike, it's about the characters and their ever-changing relationships).
  • The Cuckoo's Calling (3 parts)
  • The Silkworm (2 parts)
  • Carer of Evil (2 parts)
  • Lethal White (4 parts)

Altogether you're looking at 11 hours of watch time.

EDIT: Looks like "Lethal White" is a 4 episode mini-series, not 3.

C.B. Strike

Also on my list, will be Witcher, once I finish with Lethal White:

There are plenty of reasons to like the Witcher:

- Yennefer
- Henry Cavill is godlike
- That one song who became viral

I believe the song is in Episode 3 or something like that. Maybe it's spoiler alert. (or is it?)

Am also intrigued by Wallander -- never watched the original. Any of you who are fans, what did you like about it?

How many seasons/episodes are there for Wallander? Also, anyone watching Young Wallander?

As a huge fan of the original (Wallander), I hope this can come at least somewhat close.

Reactions: sandviper

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just watched the first episode in Strike White and I'm completely blown away.

The storyline is gripping and some shady characters emerging and ramping up the tension. Overall, the acting is just superb. Also, love the feel of the neighborhood where the protagonist is running his agency. A guitar store next door, a small club, cafes, very charming, old style neighborhood.

The main character is kind of a no-nonsense guy who is a little messy when it comes to his lifestyle but not his cases where he shows a will to get things done. And that temp he ends up getting even if he had cancelled her with the agency, makes for a great team.

Also, the main character is an amputee but you wouldn't know that he's able bodied in real life all thanks to green screen technology, trick photography and a body double: The Magic Behind Tom Burke's Amputated Leg Scenes in "Strike" | MuggleNet.

This is just the kind of series we need more of -- well written, superbly acted, likeable characters. No friggin' entitled Tariq shit as with Power and no hip hop music -- what a difference, lol.

@GoodKiwi , I'm sold. I would really appreciate it if you could please share the titles of any other British series that you've enjoyed (besides Bosch of course, since you have already reviewed it for us).

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodKiwi

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I w:as looking for a new series to follow. Nothing recent got my attention so I decided to look at suggestions offered at the onset of this thread.

Lethal White is at the top of my list (I'll definitely watch it in the order suggested by GoodKiwi)

Also on my list, will be Witcher, once I finish with Lethal White:

Am also intrigued by Wallander -- never watched the original. Any of you who are fans, what did you like about it?

How many seasons/episodes are there for Wallander? Also, anyone watching Young Wallander?

Funny, cause I'm right in the middle of The Witcher.......and still not completely onboard.
Played the game, so I'm kind of into it because of that, but you need to love fantaisies stuff. Not a lot makes senses.

I tried Wallander but never got into it, quit after 5 or 6 episode

Don't know what you saw and it is slow right now but here's a couple of series that will get out a new season in the couple of weeks that I found okay:

- Snowpiercer season 2 (January 25th - Netflix)
The first season was good enough for me to stay on board...especially since they are adding Ned Stark to the cast.

- Cobra Kai season 3 (January 1st - Netflix)
Better if your fan of the old trilogies.

- The Servant season 2 (January 15th - Apple TV)
Not everyone's cup of tea. It's dark, it's weird and it's unsettling. It's a M. Night Shyamalan series....good acting although you have to overlook that Ron Weasly (Harry Potter) have a major role in it.

_ The Handmaid's tale season 4 (Hulu - Crave)
Season 4 is about to get out, still don't know yet when....but if you haven't seen this one....a must-watch in my book.

Reactions: Runner77

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Funny, cause I'm right in the middle of The Witcher.......and still not completely onboard.
Played the game, so I'm kind of into it because of that, but you need to love fantaisies stuff. Not a lot makes senses.

I tried Wallander but never got into it, quit after 5 or 6 episode

Don't know what you saw and it is slow right now but here's a couple of series that will get out a new season in the couple of weeks that I found okay:

- Snowpiercer season 2 (January 25th - Netflix)
The first season was good enough for me to stay on board...especially since they are adding Ned Stark to the cast.

- Cobra Kai season 3 (January 1st - Netflix)
Better if your fan of the old trilogies.

- The Servant season 2 (January 15th - Apple TV)
Not everyone's cup of tea. It's dark, it's weird and it's unsettling. It's a M. Night Shyamalan series....good acting although you have to overlook that Ron Weasly (Harry Potter) have a major role in it.

_ The Handmaid's tale season 4 (Hulu - Crave)
Season 4 is about to get out
, still don't know yet when....but if you haven't seen this one....a must-watch in my book.

About to get out? There's no date. It could very well be late 2021.

A lot of shows have not resumed filming yet. A lot of series resumed filming around October, but others are still on pause, Better Call Saul is scheduled to resume filming in March and HMT resumed filming only recently. Showrunner Miller said they're halfway through filming season 4 on Dec 20th, so don't expect it shortly.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
About to get out? There's no date. It could very well be late 2021.

A lot of shows have not resumed filming yet. A lot of series resumed filming around October, but others are still on pause, Better Call Saul is scheduled to resume filming in March and HMT resumed filming only recently. Showrunner Miller said they're halfway through filming season 4 on Dec 20th, so don't expect it shortly.

I know there's a delay, but they said lately that it will get out in 2021 and even renew the series for a 5th season.
And when I said "about to get out"....I mean in the near future. Spring 2021 is what they ar aiming for right now.

Reactions: Runner77

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

I am watching Your Honor and A Teacher as well, I really like YH, both are mini-series I think. Just watched 1917 yesterday on Crave, loved it as well.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Just started Truth Seekers. Not bad, though a little silly to put it politely.

Briarpatch I enjoyed but I like mystery shows. I also enjoyed the Haunting of Bly Manor.

Returning shows, Mandalorian and The Boys I liked.

FWIW, A Million Little Things is still boring AF and is no longer a “bro show”. It’s background noise for me as my wife still watches it.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I finally watched The Sting. What a fantastic movie. I can’t believe I hadn’t seen it until now.

started watching Schitts creek. It’s okay. I would describe it as Watchable.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Just watched the first episode in Strike White and I'm completely blown away.

The storyline is gripping and some shady characters emerging and ramping up the tension. Overall, the acting is just superb. Also, love the feel of the neighborhood where the protagonist is running his agency. A guitar store next door, a small club, cafes, very charming, old style neighborhood.

The main character is kind of a no-nonsense guy who is a little messy when it comes to his lifestyle but not his cases where he shows a will to get things done. And that temp he ends up getting even if he had cancelled her with the agency, makes for a great team.

Also, the main character is an amputee but you wouldn't know that he's able bodied in real life all thanks to green screen technology, trick photography and a body double: The Magic Behind Tom Burke's Amputated Leg Scenes in "Strike" | MuggleNet.

This is just the kind of series we need more of -- well written, superbly acted, likeable characters. No friggin' entitled Tariq shit as with Power and no hip hop music -- what a difference, lol.

@GoodKiwi , I'm sold. I would really appreciate it if you could please share the titles of any other British series that you've enjoyed (besides Bosch of course, since you have already reviewed it for us).

Since you mentioned Tom Burke do you mean the BBC crime show Strike or C.B. Strike as I've also seen it called. If so it's a very good show and I enjoyed it very much. I quite like Holliday Grainger. :)

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
@Runner77

It's the dynamic between Grainger & Burke that makes the show. The investigative parts of it don't matter to me at all.

P.S. I will think on recommending a BBC/BBC One show. There are just too many good ones and you always have to let it breathe in-between not to be disappointed.

Last edited:

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Just went through one of my storage drives and here's a list of some of the UK/Irish/Scottish TV shows/mini series that I've watched over the years that I have saved. I'm sure GoodKiwi has seen most of these as well.

Bancroft
Bodyguard
Case Histories
Copper
Des
Happy Valley
Honour
In Plain Sight
In the Dark
Manhunt
Line of Duty
Luther
Ripper Street
- Only watched the first 3 seasons since I thought it had ended with season 3 but it seems there's been a season 4 since then and a final season 5 later.
River
Sherlock
Strike
The Bay
The Fall
The Level
The Secret

The Victim

Some were quite good and while others weren't as good I still had enough interest to keep watching. It's been a while since I've watched a few of these so I don't really remember all that much about some of these now. Might give some of these a re-watch later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad