OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Watched Ep. 10 of A Teacher last night. It's taken a twist but has remained interesting.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
If you're into murder/mystery Brodertown is pretty good, I'm on episode 4 and it hasn't disappointed yet.

I find non-American series are darker and not as predictable. They're also more focused on the plot as opposed to the lead character(s).

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
If you're into murder/mystery Brodertown is pretty good, I'm on episode 4 and it hasn't disappointed yet.

I find non-American series are darker and not as predictable. They're also more focused on the plot as opposed to the lead character(s).
The Scandinavian series specifically (since you mentioned Bordertown) are essentially all very similar.

A lot of fun early into discovering them, but then a pattern starts to develop. They don't pull on the "emotional strings" hard enough and that's become a turn-off for me over time.

Reactions: Edgy and Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Thank you.

The second part is even better IMO. That ending I still can't forget about in it.

Takes a bit of left turn, but it's my favorite of all of the collection.

Strap in, you're in for a wild ride as you make your way through the entire series.

Just finished the second part, "The Silkworm".

This one tugged at the heartstrings, especially because of its depiction of mental illness.

Cormoran shows incredible patience with the mother of the mentally challenged daughter -- it kind of added another layer of good conscience to who his character is.

Of course, what I couldn't wrap my head around, was how he got so involved in the matter at hand that he ended up doing all that work pro bono. I mean, this is Mother Theresa territory -- highly laudable but it doesn't pay the bills, nor an assistant's salary.

The mystery in this two-part series reminds me of old school type of English masters, like Agatha Christie or an Arthur Conan Doyle. Of course, there were far more secrets in Christie's books as everything depended on investigative work and relationships. We see a lot of that with Cormoran, even if he's aided and abetted by modern technologies.

Bottom line, you still have to do the hard work and get your hands dirty but Cormoran does it with restraint -- his instrusions are measured and timely and no one ever questions his work ethic cause they know he's coming from a good place.

We also find out about Cornish giants in this mini series and where Cormoran's name comes from.

StZ9i2L.jpg

Maybe there's a connection with Rowling's love of fables and the fantastical.

Another very gripping series. On to the next. Thanks again, GoodKiwi.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodKiwi

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
@Runner77

More UK dramas you should check out:

Paranoid (love or hate type of a thing)
Collateral (this one's a gem)
Tin Star (it's a different type of a show. It is based solely on shocking your senses with its brutality).
Marcella (but the last season was very bad IMO)

Oh I forgot about Collateral with Carey Mulligan. That was a very good watch as well. Haven't seen the others on your list so I'll make a note of them and look into them more later.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Just saw that the final 10 episodes of Vikings are now airing on Amazon Prime but not available in Canada it seems.

The show probably should've ended sooner but I still enjoy it for the most part and will watch to see how they wrap things up.

Reactions: Deebs and Runner77

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
@Runner77

When someone's invested into watching a metric tonne of British dramas (crime ones or otherwise) that is always an indicator that the person watching likes his heartstrings pulled. I fall into that category. The Brits are the best in the world at shinning a light into the darkest parts of our existence. Yes, it can get corny at times, but it's what I seek for the very most in a TV show.

Reactions: Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad