OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The school is not at fault. They can't be expected to hire private investigators to assess each application.

They are going to jail (or not) for massive theft, that happens. If you stole several hundred thousand dollars worth of another person's property, you would likely go to jail too. Even moreso in the USA, where people can get decades for shoplifting.

It's also fraud.
Massive theft? Maybe I didn't read the whole story, my understanding is they paid the school 500K so their kids could go in. What theft did they commit?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
If you can get life for weed and being arrested 3 times they came off easy. By doing this they basically took 2 spots on an attractive university (USC) from someone else and gave them to their how should I put it, not the sharpest tools in the shed daughters. I pretty sure the US have the hardest punishment of any western type of country but usually these kind of people just pay their way whereas poor people and minorities go to jail. If they had done what Felicity Huffman did and pleaded guilty they would have come away more lenient. She got 14 days in prison, 250 hours of community service and $30,000 in fines. This couple decided to fight until they realized that most of the rest had already pleaded guilty and by doing so they would have other people testify against them.
You have lived in the middle east too long my friend. :)
I'm pretty sure a lot of parents have done this everywhere. Pay extra so their kids could go in school.
Heck, I know a few who did it at the school I went to.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
How to best describe Knightfall in one sentence!

I was so dissapointed. So much potential laid to waste by a blend cast and equally blend narrative.

Why do all of this on the grail? Again! Philip trying to steal the world's biggest cumulated wealth at the time wasn't enough?
I can't. Anytime I see Landrys perfectly barber'd beard I flip out. Landry's ready for a night out with the boys, not for a crusade.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Massive theft? Maybe I didn't read the whole story, my understanding is they paid the school 500K so their kids could go in. What theft did they commit?

It wasn’t theft, it was fraud. The school wasn’t involved but a third party was paid to fake transcripts, cheat tests, create fake athletic achievements to boost up students who likely would not have gotten accepted at the school. I can’t remember if it was only UCLA or there were multiple Unis. There were a whole bunch of people involved behind the scenes to get these students into their desired university.

The thing with Laughlin’s daughters is I know one of them didn’t even want to go to university because she already had her own YouTube/social media career. She had said she just wanted to experience campus life/party.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Fresh

Exposure of dope everywhere. It devastates everyone implicitly or explicitly. Children dealing on the streets for their boss. The equivalent of the point of no return. Life in the hood.

Fresh is one of those people. Supporting himself. Playing chess games is his gun.

How do get out of this mess?

Only him will know. Stratagems are there to cover him up.

A visual labyrinth...

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It wasn’t theft, it was fraud. The school wasn’t involved but a third party was paid to fake transcripts, cheat tests, create fake athletic achievements to boost up students who likely would not have gotten accepted at the school. I can’t remember if it was only UCLA or there were multiple Unis. There were a whole bunch of people involved behind the scenes to get these students into their desired university.

The thing with Laughlin’s daughters is I know one of them didn’t even want to go to university because she already had her own YouTube/social media career. She had said she just wanted to experience campus life/party.

Didn't know about the faking of documents, that's quite the trouble they went through. Still don't get why it garnered so much press and treated as criminals. Do community work, pay a fine, that's all there is to it.
Not this zoo.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

There were multiple universities and I believe all involved or almost all have made deals now. Ivy League as well like Stanford and Yale, Georgetown in DC which is a famous exclusive uni.

2019 college admissions bribery scandal - Wikipedia

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Thanks for the warning, it was something I had planned to watch.

Per, any chance we can get some Swedish movie recommendations?

As I mentioned elsewhere, I really enjoyed the few Swedish movies with English subtitles I saw on HBO. They were suspense-type films and the acting was just fabulous.

Please indicate where we might be able to view them, with English subtitles of course. Not dubbed.

Thanks in advance.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Per, any chance we can get some Swedish movie recommendations?

As I mentioned elsewhere, I really enjoyed the few Swedish movies with English subtitles I saw on HBO. They were suspense-type films and the acting was just fabulous.

Please indicate where we might be able to view them, with English subtitles of course. Not dubbed.

Thanks in advance.

Some I don't know if they are available now but I have watched them in the US, some streamed, some in movie theatres. I have attached an Excel file with the list. They all had subs when I watched them, wouldn't want it otherwise. Some of the descriptions are taken from reviews.

Attachments

• Some Swedish Films.xlsx
    19.8 KB · Views: 1

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Some I don't know if they are available now but I have watched them in the US, some streamed, some in movie theatres. I have attached an Excel file with the list. They all had subs when I watched them, wouldn't want it otherwise. Some of the descriptions are taken from reviews.

Thanks Per. I'm going to look for those.

Other movies I remember are The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (with sequels).

Anything you can add on this: Mikael Blomkvist is a fictional character created by Swedish author and journalist Stieg Larsson. He is a main character of Larsson's award-winning Millennium series, along with Lisbeth Salander.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Thanks Per. I'm going to look for those.

Other movies I remember are The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (with sequels).

Anything you can add on this: Mikael Blomkvist is a fictional character created by Swedish author and journalist Stieg Larsson. He is a main character of Larsson's award-winning Millennium series, along with Lisbeth Salander.

I didn't include those films because they are so well known. Nothing much to say, Stieg Larsson was a journalist who was from the northern parts of Sweden (Skellefteå where one of the best Swedish hockey teams comes from in the last 40-50 years). He specialized on right wing extremism and wrote books about it. Sverigedemokraterna (Sweden Democrats) that now is the second largest party and an anti immigrant party with several members that used to be part of neo nazi groups, he wrote quite a bit about them. He was far left by Swedish standards coming originally from that his father worked at a smelting plant and got sick from arsenic poisoning and had to quit and got very little support from the company. He never got to know how popular those books became since he died from a heart attack at 50 just when they started to get more well known, Mikael are supposed to be partly him. I have only read the first 2 books and I watched the films.

The last 3 books have been written by David Lagerkrantz who is the son of a well known scholar and newspaper publicist (Olof) and he wrote "I Am Zlatan Ibrahimović", about Sweden's most famous footballer who's also famously shy and withdrawn);).

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I didn't include those films because they are so well known. Nothing much to say, Stieg Larsson was a journalist who was from the northern parts of Sweden (Skellefteå where one of the best Swedish hockey teams comes from in the last 40-50 years). He specialized on right wing extremism and wrote books about it. Sverigedemokraterna (Sweden Democrats) that now is the second largest party and an anti immigrant party with several members that used to be part of neo nazi groups, he wrote quite a bit about them. He was far left by Swedish standards coming originally from that his father worked at a smelting plant and got sick from arsenic poisoning and had to quit and got very little support from the company. He never got to know how popular those books became since he died from a heart attack at 50 just when they started to get more well known, Mikael are supposed to be partly him. I have only read the first 2 books and I watched the films.

The last 3 books have been written by David Lagerkrantz who is the son of a well known scholar and newspaper publicist (Olof) and he wrote "I Am Zlatan Ibrahimović", about Sweden's most famous footballer who's also famously shy and withdrawn);).

This is a very good documentary on Larsson, I saw it at Sundance:

Mannen som lekte med elden (2018) - IMDb

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I didn't include those films because they are so well known.

Well-known is a relative term. Maybe in Sweden but outside of Sweden, I'm not sure. I did hear about the series on PBS radio but you know, that's not exactly the widest audience. I would say, even if it's obvious to you, it doesn't mean that it's obvious to the rest of us. A whole lot of people are not familiar with Swedish productions as you are.

I would humbly ask if you wouldn't mind including those movies and series that are obvious to you since you're lucky enough to be able to tap into the culture and language of Sweden like so few on here can.

And thanks again for that Excel file.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Well-known is a relative term. Maybe in Sweden but outside of Sweden, I'm not sure. I did hear about the series on PBS radio but you know, that's not exactly the widest audience. I would say, even if it's obvious to you, it doesn't mean that it's obvious to the rest of us. A whole lot of people are not familiar with Swedish productions as you are.

I would humbly ask if you wouldn't mind including those movies and series that are obvious to you since you're lucky enough to be able to tap into the culture and language of Sweden like so few on here can.

And thanks again for that Excel file.

This was probably the only one I could think of. I meant the film The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is well known, US version is with Daniel Craig.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This was probably the only one I could think of. I meant the film The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is well known, US version is with Daniel Craig.

Oh, I see what you meant. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad