OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
The lead actor was replaced for season 2 and 3 because the previous one passed away from cancer. I didn't really like the new actor..couldn't click..but the show remains pretty consistent through the 3 seasons.

That was the reason I didn’t continue watching.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Parasyte: The Maxim is an anime chronicling the adventures of a teenager in Japan who is infected with a parasite in his right arm. It lives, talks and mutates as needed, and he learns to live with it as he faces off against other parasites who've succeeded in melding with other humans' brains (thus making them cannibals, of course).

It's pretty good for a great portion of its duration, but by the end runs into the same issue a lot of anime does : the themes are laid on thicker than buttercream. The show has obvious motifs about environmentalism, and the characters and visuals allow its themes to be communicated contextually, so wasting multiple episodes' worth of time on inner monologues and rationalizations of "humans being the parasite" took me out of the experience and made the penultimate episodes a chore to go through. Hollywood is guilty of this, anime more so.

It unfortunately reinforces my view that serious anime, while fun to look at and get into, rarely sticks the storytelling landing (outside of FMA Brotherhood, that was stellar).

Score: 5/10

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
She made it watchable:naughty:
LucyLawlessAsLucreti-gthumb-gwdata1200-ghdata1200-gfitdatamax.jpg

Ah good ol Lucretia from the House of Batiatus. I enjoyed the entire series and didn't really mind Liam McIntyre when he had to take over after the death of Andy Whitfield. It wasn't the same without Whitfield but I thought McIntyre did a decent job considering.

I also quite liked the Gods of the Arena series aired between seasons 1 and 2 as well when Gannicus was pretty much the main guy. I also liked John Hannah for some of the funny stuff his character used to say.

Other than Billions I'm not watching much of anything right now except some YT videos so I need to find something new to watch.

Last edited:

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Ah good ol Lucretia from the House of Batiatus. I enjoyed the entire series and didn't really mind Liam McIntyre when he had to take over after the death of Andy Whitfield. It wasn't the same without Whitfield but I thought McIntyre did a decent job considering.

I also quite liked the Gods of the Arena series aired between seasons 1 and 2 as well when Gannicus was pretty much the main guy. I also liked John Hannah for some of the funny stuff his character used to say.

Other than Billions I'm not watching much of anything right now except some YT videos so I need to find something new to watch.
Haven’t watched Billions yet, any good?

Reactions: sheed36

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Parasyte: The Maxim is an anime chronicling the adventures of a teenager in Japan who is infected with a parasite in his right arm. It lives, talks and mutates as needed, and he learns to live with it as he faces off against other parasites who've succeeded in melding with other humans' brains (thus making them cannibals, of course).

It's pretty good for a great portion of its duration, but by the end runs into the same issue a lot of anime does : the themes are laid on thicker than buttercream. The show has obvious motifs about environmentalism, and the characters and visuals allow its themes to be communicated contextually, so wasting multiple episodes' worth of time on inner monologues and rationalizations of "humans being the parasite" took me out of the experience and made the penultimate episodes a chore to go through. Hollywood is guilty of this, anime more so.

It unfortunately reinforces my view that serious anime, while fun to look at and get into, rarely sticks the storytelling landing (outside of FMA Brotherhood, that was stellar).

Score: 5/10

Eerie that you're covering this as you were the first to post about Parasite, the Oscar-winning movie before it was on anyone's radar in here, as I recall.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Haven’t watched Billions yet, any good?

I think it's a decent show and I still enjoy it. It as a bit of everything in it and some pretty good humor.

Season 1 and 2 were very good but then it kinda slips a bit in season 3 but it was still a decent season. Season 4 was it's weakest season (it focused too much on the Taylor character IMO) but it still kept my interest enough to keep watching. Damian Lewis and Paul Giamatti are great in it.

Reactions: Runner77

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#WhatTheDayOwesTheNight

Successful adaptation of the novel into a movie. The French colonization in Algeria. Separation. Reunion. Hidden secret. Remorse.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

I finished the first season recently and learned of Andy Whitfield beforehand and kept thinking while watching it that I cannot believe this guy is dead cause I thought he had an enormous star potential. There is just some credibility of this actor on screen, he is very believable at anything he does. He has charisma and acting chops too.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
The Last Dance, just wow. I am not a big fan of basketball, but that was really good. Most people who are craving sports should like this. Tons of drama too. I was too young back then to really realize how much was going on with the Chicago Bulls. I might pick up Phil Jackson's biography. He's such an odd, open-minded fellow. I mean, who else would let one of his star players go to Vegas for a week during the regular season or leave the team for a weekend during the playoffs to go make a stunt in the WWE.
I read today that Bill Wennington actually grew up in Montréal.

The last kingdom's latest season was good. It sucks that we have to wait another year (or more...), for more episodes but oh well.

Also, I'm a bit sad that Medici is done. Banking, Italian drama, back-stabbing schemes, city-states fighting the pope's army. There's a lot to like. It's far from the best show ever, but I found it entertaining. Lorenzo de Medici was one of the propellers for the renaissance, so if you're interested in history, it's a good watch.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The Last Dance, just wow. ...
The last kingdom's latest season was good. It sucks that we have to wait another year (or more...), for more episodes but oh well.

Also, I'm a bit sad that Medici is done.

You've got an interesting trifecta of choices.

I had seen The first season and part of the second of The Last Kingdom and then gave it up. I might just have to go back given the several positive reviews in this thread. Medici was rather slow but I too enjoyed it enough to want to see it through. And of course, The Last Dance -- it's all the rage.

Thanks for sharing.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
A moving tribute to Fred Willard by Jimmy Kimmel yesterday. Willard was Mr. Oblivious, he had that persona down to a tee and it worked all the time. The guy was a legend from the Carson days. Had several guest appearances on Kimmel's show. RIP Fred Willard.

Here's Kimmel's tribute:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
From a local perspective, also passing away was Monique Mercure, who was a stalwart actress from many productions. RIP.

The one I discovered her in and which was a huge scandal when it came out, was Deux Femmes en Or, a movie that came out in the 70s. It featured several of Quebec's most popular actors, comedians and personalities of the time, including Yvon Deschamps, Gilles Latulippe, Donald Lautrec, Donald Pilon and Jean Lapointe.

The premise of the movie is rudimentary: Two bored Montreal housewives concoct a plan to have some fun with as many men as possible. They become famous in the process... aka "Deux femmes en or"

The whole movie is surprisingly available on Y/T, in a dubbed English version for anyone who might be curious about it. It provides a good idea of what 70s were like in Montreal -- the vibe of the city.

Let's just say Mercure went all out in this and threw all caution to the wind and in the bedroom.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kimota

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#DonnieBrasco

The uneasy side of being an FBI infiltration agent. Following the procedure. Being far away from the family. Making the alias more than real. Acting nonstop like an actor.

The strongest vs the weakest. Crime vs justice. Freedom vs slavery of the society.

Putting into question yourself. Honoration = punition? Trying to be a good guy for what reason? What's life without adrenalina? What's wrong and what's right?

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
#DonnieBrasco

The uneasy side of being an FBI infiltration agent. Following the procedure. Being far away from the family. Making the alias more than real. Acting nonstop like an actor.

The strongest vs the weakest. Crime vs justice. Freedom vs slavery of the society.

Putting into question yourself. Honoration = punition? Trying to be a good guy for what reason? What's life without adrenalina? What's wrong and what's right?

Your whole body would shutdown and you'd be pushing daisies.

Pet peeve: its true name is epinephrine or norepinephrine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad