OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I really don't get this case...

They're going to jail because they bribed college admissions so their daughters could go there?...
This warrants prison time?

If you can get life for weed and being arrested 3 times they came off easy. By doing this they basically took 2 spots on an attractive university (USC) from someone else and gave them to their how should I put it, not the sharpest tools in the shed daughters. I pretty sure the US have the hardest punishment of any western type of country but usually these kind of people just pay their way whereas poor people and minorities go to jail. If they had done what Felicity Huffman did and pleaded guilty they would have come away more lenient. She got 14 days in prison, 250 hours of community service and $30,000 in fines. This couple decided to fight until they realized that most of the rest had already pleaded guilty and by doing so they would have other people testify against them.
You have lived in the middle east too long my friend. :)

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I really don't get this case...

They're going to jail because they bribed college admissions so their daughters could go there?...
This warrants prison time?

Yea when I heard about this, I thought it was overblown. But I think they wanted to make an example out of them so that rich, privileged people cannot go ahead over the rest the people and this I have no issues with. My big problem was when they were talking about 25 years, there are bigger crimes outthere. I always feel like US courts' punishment is so exagerated.

But 2 years in prison each would have been good.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
From a local perspective, also passing away was Monique Mercure, who was a stalwart actress from many productions. RIP.

The one I discovered her in and which was a huge scandal when it came out, was Deux Femmes en Or, a movie that came out in the 70s. It featured several of Quebec's most popular actors, comedians and personalities of the time, including Yvon Deschamps, Gilles Latulippe, Donald Lautrec, Donald Pilon and Jean Lapointe.

The premise of the movie is rudimentary: Two bored Montreal housewives concoct a plan to have some fun with as many men as possible. They become famous in the process... aka "Deux femmes en or"

The whole movie is surprisingly available on Y/T, in a dubbed English version for anyone who might be curious about it. It provides a good idea of what 70s were like in Montreal -- the vibe of the city.

Let's just say Mercure went all out in this and threw all caution to the wind and in the bedroom.

My mom loved this movie. The blond one was hot beyond belief.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
She effectively stole a spot from someone else.

One of the disturbing aspects was how Aunt Becky and several others, used photoshopped pics of their kids to show that they were involved in high level athletics, as part of their applications: a wide-scale bribery scheme that allowed students to fraudulently enter prestigious universities is the idea that the parents of these students helped arrange for the creation of fake athletic profiles to carry out the scheme.

I mean, can you really tell that this was photoshopped? :sarcasm:

6pJL87l.jpg

Can you tell that any of these were photoshopped?

And of course ...

The FBI reportedly recorded phone calls in which Loughlin discussed the scheme with a cooperating witness and Desperate Housewives star Felicity Huffman. Loughlin is accused of reportedly paying $500,000 to USC to have her two daughters recruited for the college's crew team, according to the Hollywood Reporter. Neither of Loughlin's daughters participated in crew.

Admissions Scandal Shows You Can Sneak Into College Sports With Photoshop and Enough Money

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yea when I heard about this, I thought it was overblown. But I think they wanted to make an example out of them so that rich, privileged people cannot go ahead over the rest the people and this I have no issues with. My big problem was when they were talking about 25 years, there are bigger crimes outthere. I always feel like US courts' punishment is so exagerated.

But 2 years in prison each would have been good.

I imagine there must have been a dissuasiveness component to the matter as there were 50 or so other parents who were also involved.

They must have thought that this is the only way to get to those rich f***s who otherwise can buy their way into anything, all rules and regulations be darned.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I imagine there must have been a dissuasiveness component to the matter as there were 50 or so other parents who were also involved.

They must have thought that this is the only way to get to those rich f***s who otherwise can buy their way into anything, all rules and regulations be darned.

It's weird how they went from 25 years to 6 months. I guess that they did get away with it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's weird how they went from 25 years to 6 months. I guess that they did get away with it.

From that perspective, yes. But, if you take them out of their mansions and away from all of their hired help for any length of time, I'm sure there is a multiplier effect that is going on in their brains as their descent is that much more precipitous when compared to the average person.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
From that perspective, yes. But, if you take them out of their mansions and away from all of their hired help for any length of time, I'm sure there is a multiplier effect that is going on in their brains as their descent is that much more precipitous when compared to the average person.

Not to mention that there's a level of shame linked to it. They won't be the "pillars of the community" at this point.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
So sue the school. It is insane a parent gets jail time for paying extra to secure a spot for their kids.
I mean, pay a fine, but prison?? That's nuts.

The school is not at fault. They can't be expected to hire private investigators to assess each application.

They are going to jail (or not) for massive theft, that happens. If you stole several hundred thousand dollars worth of another person's property, you would likely go to jail too. Even moreso in the USA, where people can get decades for shoplifting.

It's also fraud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad