OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Is that what you had? I thought it was a creepy guy with Frankenstein features. Sry, I must have had it confused with another poster.
Believe you had it right.

This is the picture of him that made it into Life magazine:

roll551.jpg

He's squinting there because the sun was in his eyes.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Believe you had it right.

This is the picture of him that made it into Life magazine:

roll551.jpg

He's squinting there because the sun was in his eyes.

Not the one I was thinking about. I apologize for my mistake.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Not the one I was thinking about. I apologize for my mistake.
Can't find the picture online, I have the old avatar but am unable to upload here for whatever reason.

I believe you were right, it is a little creepy looking, especially knowing his story.

Edit: Runner, someone created a facebook page in tribute, the avatar I had is a picture near the bottom:

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I was never able to watch that show cause I can’t stand Andy Samberg. He’s got this “look at how funny I am” attitude going that reminds me he’s trying too hard to be funny. Only thing I liked him in was the box spoof he did with Timberlake. He’s better suited for skits and sketch comedy, I don’t think I can take hours of him in a role.

I feel the same about Will Smith. Everything he does always comes across as “look at me, I’m acting lol”.

I never knew who he was and the others as well aside from Andre Braugher and just fell upon it.At first Samberg was annoying but the others made up for it and then got acclimated to him and find it fast paced and funny.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Thats more of a western satire lol.. but I will admit emelio estevez was cool as shit as billy the kid lol
Was a great movie however you want to categorize it. The sequel may have been better than the original too. Not too often you can say that. Just a great show.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I was never able to watch that show cause I can’t stand Andy Samberg. He’s got this “look at how funny I am” attitude going that reminds me he’s trying too hard to be funny. Only thing I liked him in was the box spoof he did with Timberlake. He’s better suited for skits and sketch comedy, I don’t think I can take hours of him in a role.

I feel the same about Will Smith. Everything he does always comes across as “look at me, I’m acting lol”.

it works on this show because it’s his shtick - trying to be funny. It’s not a square peg in a round hole. In any event, if you watch 3 episodes, the other characters might hook you in.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
They never showed Get Smart! in Sweden so I didn't watch them until I moved to the US and I love them.

Watched this yesterday. It provided context about the series, Don Adams' background and how he got his name. Some very good nuggets but this could have used better editing:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Watched this yesterday. It provided context about the series, Don Adams' background and how he got his name. Some very good nuggets but this could have used better editing:

:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu:

I have watched this one before since it was made quite a while ago but it was well worth watching again. I think it's time for me to watch the 2 first seasons again.

I just love it. I wonder why it wasn't shown on Swedish TV, we always get subtitles unless it is for small children, maybe it was hard to translate all the gags into Swedish?

I once reported a Swedish TV show for plagiarism and even contacted BBC. I don't know if anyone here is familiar with the British comedy "Yes, Minister" and later "Yes, Prime Minister"? I really enjoyed both then suddenly a Swedish version comes and it was a copy, they only replaced things like from badgers in the British show to beavers in the Swedish show, otherwise it was basically the same, So Swedish TV had to pay the original script writers in the UK. I have no idea if any of my complaints had any results, I am pretty sure I wasn't the only complaining in Sweden but was probably the only Swede to contact BBC?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu:

I have watched this one before since it was made quite a while ago but it was well worth watching again. I think it's time for me to watch the 2 first seasons again.

I just love it. I wonder why it wasn't shown on Swedish TV, we always get subtitles unless it is for small children, maybe it was hard to translate all the gags into Swedish?

One of the key elements of why Get Smart worked so well is that voice and accent that Don Adams produced. I had not seen him in anything else so I had no idea that it wasn't his real voice and accent. His Carson interview exposes it beautifully. And from the second clip, you see how he was using that voice and accent in his comedy routines and getting reactions. It was a perfect storm when the show spotted him and saw that he completely matched what they were after.

Plus, there was a budget issue with the show initially and so the offer they made to Adams when they signed him, involved a cut in the show's rights or a high salary. He chose the rights and his family is continuing to rake revenues from the show long after Adams has passed.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
One of the key elements of why Get Smart worked so well is that voice and accent that Don Adams produced. I had not seen him in anything else so I had no idea that it wasn't his real voice and accent. His Carson interview exposes it beautifully. And from the second clip, you see how he was using that voice and accent in his comedy routines and getting reactions. It was a perfect storm when the show spotted him and saw that he completely matched what they were after.

Plus, there was a budget issue with the show initially and so the offer they made to Adams when they signed him, involved a cut in the show's rights or a high salary. He chose the rights and his family is continuing to rake revenues from the show long after Adams has passed.

He did use his get smart voice in a cartoon that was with Rocky and Bullwinkle but not positive what it was called.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#ReservoirDogs

Anonymity is the watchword. Befriend with them. With their colourful nicknames. Through out their discussions (camaraderie, childishness, etc). Ignoring that they're abnormal bloody criminals. Almost believing for a while that they're just normal citizens.

There's a upcoming robbery. What comes next is a roller coaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->