OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Coming back to my Perry Mason. In over 40 episodes I have yet see someone wearing seatbelts or saying "No thanks, I don't smoke". They all seem to smoke and I am surprised they don't smoke in the courtroom.

Edit: They also have the same actors come back in other roles which is a bit strange at times.

Same actors coming back in different roles? Just how tight was their budget? Who knows if that was the norm for most similar shows in those days.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Same actors coming back in different roles? Just how tight was their budget? Who knows if that was the norm for most similar shows in those days.

Barney Miller was a show that often used the same actors in different roles is one that immediately comes to mind. MASH did often as well,mostly actors with Asian lineage.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Coming back to my Perry Mason. In over 40 episodes I have yet see someone wearing seatbelts or saying "No thanks, I don't smoke". They all seem to smoke and I am surprised they don't smoke in the courtroom.

Edit: They also have the same actors come back in other roles which is a bit strange at times.
There was a time when shows were sponsored by cigarette companies. One example was 'M Squad'. Pall Mall was happy to get involved with Lee Marvin (5 pack a day) as the star. Believe Phillip Morris may have sponsored Perry Mason for a while.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-8-18_12-29-52.png

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
We need to stop consuming palm oil. The way they get that stuff just destroys the habitats of orangutans. Very sad.

It really is appalling! They simply uproot the jungle and put in plantations with no regard to the wildlife and their habitat. The ''lucky'' orangutans are kept as pets or put in zoos where the less fortunate are simply machete-ed and even consumed,barbaric!:mad::rant:

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
It really is appalling! They simply uproot the jungle and put in plantations with no regard to the wildlife and their habitat. The ''lucky'' orangutans are kept as pets or put in zoos where the less fortunate are simply machete-ed and even consumed,barbaric!:mad::rant:

Yup. Then you look around a bit and realize that the whole ''profit-mongering leading to exodus or death'' thingy happens to human habitats in many places too. It's just depressing that we would choose to enrich the same 1% over and over again at the cost of the homes and lives of so many much gentler folk.

But that fact is still not as depressing as Elem Klimov's 1985 movie ''Come and See''. Hailed as one of the greatest war movies ever made, it is a movie that I saw recently and came to both absolutely hate and profoundly love at the same time.

It is probably the single most violent, heaviest movie I've ever seen from a psychological perspective. I thought something like Clockwork Orange was about the heaviest you could go on the ''darkness of the human psyche'' spectrum while still being a cohesive movie (and not real murder/rape/pedo/snuff/torture videos, those absolutely atrocious blights on the world that reveal as much about those who watch as they unveil about those who made them). Boy was I wrong.

As magnificent as the acting, the setting, the plot, narrative and everything was, it both made me bask in wonder at the accomplishments of the film crew and director, with its pristine attention to details, and made me wallow in disgust at the abyss of human cruelty it explores and reveals so plainly. It was profoundly uncomfortable watch, deeply unsettling in the reality it depicted, but it is necessary for those movies to exist, honest movies that show us what really transpired in our wretched world's history, so that we may learn from those mistakes and try to make tomorrow better.

Anyways, watch ''Come and See'' only if you have very high-level tolerance towards suffering in movies. If you cried at the end of ''Bambi'', absolutely don't watch it.

Last edited:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Reading the latter portion of this thread it is evident that it's tumbleweeds right now when it comes to new TV series.

I meant I have something like 140 series on trakt.tv and there's zilch for me to watch when it comes to any of them.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
The ''Lucifer'' series supposedly airs its season 5 premiere tomorrow , the 21st, so fans of that goofy yet likeable show should be happy. I'm not a big fan but it is still better than the sweet nothing we've had recently so I'll probably watch it eventually, but not before we've either beat or been handled by the Flyers. Because fock the Flyers.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Yup. Then you look around a bit and realize that the whole ''profit-mongering leading to exodus or death'' thingy happens to human habitats in many places too. It's just depressing that we would choose to enrich the same 1% over and over again at the cost of the homes and lives of so many much gentler folk.

But that fact is still not as depressing as Elem Klimov's 1985 movie ''Come and See''. Hailed as one of the greatest war movies ever made, it is a movie that I saw recently and came to both absolutely hate and profoundly love at the same time.

It is probably the single most violent, heaviest movie I've ever seen from a psychological perspective. I thought something like Clockwork Orange was about the heaviest you could go on the ''darkness of the human psyche'' spectrum while still being a cohesive movie (and not real murder/rape/pedo/snuff/torture videos, those absolutely atrocious blights on the world that reveal as much about those who watch as they unveil about those who made them). Boy was I wrong.

As magnificent as the acting, the setting, the plot, narrative and everything was, it both made me bask in wonder at the accomplishments of the film crew and director, with its pristine attention to details, and made me wallow in disgust at the abyss of human cruelty it explores and reveals so plainly. It was profoundly uncomfortable watch, deeply unsettling in the reality it depicted, but it is necessary for those movies to exist, honest movies that show us what really transpired in our wretched world's history, so that we may learn from those mistakes and try to make tomorrow better.

Anyways, watch ''Come and See'' only if you have very high-level tolerance towards suffering in movies. If you cried at the end of ''Bambi'', absolutely don't watch it.

Is this the movie in question?

upload_2020-8-21_10-38-18.jpeg

It does does sound interesting and will look for it and have no trepidation whatsoever. Have heard first hand accounts of people that have lived through WW2 through family members and in-laws spanning from my native Netherlands to my current SO's family that is Japanese. The things they have had to endure and see and do is beyond comprehensive.

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-21_10-38-3.jpeg
    upload_2020-8-21_10-38-3.jpeg
    13 KB · Views: 1

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Is this the movie in question?

View attachment 362760

It does does sound interesting and will look for it and have no trepidation whatsoever. Have heard first hand accounts of people that have lived through WW2 through family members and in-laws spanning from my native Netherlands to my current SO's family that is Japanese. The things they have had to endure and see and do is beyond comprehensive.

It is this one. And it's a masterpiece of horror, loss, psychological torment and anger. Starts kinda slow the first hour, but then the hard and gritty parts really get going, and it only grows worse the more you watch, until when it's over you're left wondering how you can so thoroughly love something that you simultaneously abhor.

Again, don't watch if you are squeamish about cruelty. I've got really high tolerance for that stuff, the first ''Saw'' movie left me unfazed for reference, and even then the movie got to me and I had to struggle inwardly to finish it because it was so stark, so real, so heavy, like trying to eat a 7-pound chocolate cake on your own in one sitting kind of heavy. For a few days afterwards I could still vividly see some scenes of the movie whenever I closed my eyes, like I was experiencing some type of very minor PTSD induced by simply sitting on my couch and watching that flick. Yeah, I know what you're thinking, but to my defense Klimov brews some really serious nightmare fuel here, of the indelible kind.

By the way, off-subject but an important mention, all bullets and explosions you see in the movie, except those directly shot at actors, are live ammunition. There are a few scenes where the actors could literally die, with mortars, molotovs, mines, grenades, and other such dangerous contraptions going off right in front and to the sides of them for real, no special effects used. If you see trees getting mowed down by bombs raining down, stuff exploding or burning, branches falling off because of bullets being fired, well, it's not CGI, they really are being destroyed, blown to smithereens and everything in-between.

Of course, Klimov uses perspective, elevation and other such techniques when filming to make it seem like the danger is closer to the characters than it really is, but still, pretty wild. In fact, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have been able to be shot in America as insurance companies would have bailed at the simple mention of ''shooting live ammunition'', before even hearing about detonating pre-planted bombs close behind the actors in a forest while they ran towards the camera with little protection.

Anyways, go see it if you wish, it definitely deserves some respect and admiration as a work of art, but remember what I said about heaviness. Also remember Nietzsche's infamous saying about abysses and what it does to you if you stare too long.

After the viewing, if you indeed choose to watch it, your first instinct will be to want to never watch it again, maybe even expunge it from your memory, but then another part of you will wonder about the details that you might have missed the first time, will exclaim at the wondrous historical rigor and lengths to which Klimov went, the absolutely terrific acting, and kind of want to watch it again. Whether you do or not will depend on you, but I personally watched it a second time and the heaviness was still there albeit different in shape and structure as you can really concentrate on comprehending all the different nuances and details. I had more fun watching it the second time so I guess it's something of an acquired taste.

Last edited:
Reactions: angusyoung

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing

come and see? Jesus, just how much do you hate the people on this board?

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
come and see? Jesus, just how much do you hate the people on this board?

The answer is not at all. That movie is harsh, traumatic stuff, nightmare fuel as I previously said, but the message it conveys is an important one, something that more people should see though they may not like it and it will definitely leave a mark.

I should however remind people that it is NOT A MOVIE FOR KIDS, and should have an 18, heck, 21+, age rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad