Not open for further replies.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Watched the movie KIN last night.
It was OK a little bit slow but still worth the watch
James Francos character in the movie is quite a psycho

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
Huge list. Wondering what draws you to Murray?

I don't have a lot of Murray experience -- the bolded is all I saw. I have some catching up to do.

I take it the list is in order of preference.

Are most of these on HBO/Netflix?

Of those that you have not seen, you are definitely going to want to watch Caddyshack, Kingpin, Rushmore, and the Royal Tenenbaums. All four are excellent movies.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Watched episodes 3 and 4 of My Brilliant Friend. The two best friends are now adolescents and begin to see the world differently. We are discovering it through their eyes. Interesting how they are navigating through the minefield of peer pressure, class conflicts, identity in what are simpler times in their mostly isolated community.

Available on demand, HBO.

Also, season 3 of Travelers coming to Netflix on Dec. 14th. Welcome to the 21st!

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
So, I watched Fantastic Beasts 2, or at least half of it. I remember the main characters snooping around some sort of library or vault being chased by some sort of dogs and then the next thing I knew, the main villain and the emo wizard shot some bolt at a mountain side.

My kids liked the movie so I guess that works out.

Barriwhite

Don’t be shocked by the tone of my voice
Nov 8, 2005
Montreal
I caught Sicario 2: Day of the Soldado on a flight today. The drop in quality from the first one, in every possible aspect, is astonishing.

I read somewhere that Brolin and/or Del Toro were very critical of Denis Villeneuve during filming of Sicario 1, but praised him after they saw the result. I also remember the author complaining about Villeneuve making tweaks to his scenario/dialogues. The sequel makes a great case that Villeneuve (and Deakins) made the first one good.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Kingpin is also the origin of Roy Munson!

So that's where this forum's Roy Munson originates from. Does he have shooping abilities in the movie? :naughty:

Will have to look for it.

On a different subject, I knew someone who used to love the movie Sling Blade. I've liked several Billy Bob Thornton productions but newer saw Sling Blade. The guy I knew used to imitate this scene, with the "huh huh" mannerism that Thornton exhibits:

Wondering if any of you are familiar with it and whether it's worth looking into.

As far as Thornton goes, I've absolutely loved his work in Fargo Season 2 and more recently, in a two season series recommended by GoodKiwi, Goliath:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That time of year when you see lists about the "best of".

This list from a YouTube clip, contains several intriguing suggestions. I won't list all of them, but here are the ones that caught my attention:

No. 10 on their list is Condor, a show that they say evokes the series 24 and which was renewed for a second season. Plenty of action, wondering if anyone has seen it?

Coming in at no. 8 is Barry with Bill Hader, which we've reviewed here.

At no. 7, Counterpart with J.K. Simmons -- loved it! We've also posted about this here. Season 2 coming up on Jan. 6th. I'd watch it again.

No. 6: AMC's The Terror: "This British horror anthology series takes place in 1848. It's about two real life war ships that are sent on a naval expedition to find the Northwest Passage. Along the way, they become trapped in ice near the Arctic and face starvation, mutiny, cannibalism and a demonic polar bear. The acting, writing and cinematography are all top notch." Renewed for a second season in 2019. This one really looks interesting, never heard of it.

No. 5, Yellowstone with Kevin Costner. Western drama series on the Paramount network, with a "stellar supporting cast". It's about the morally corrupt Dunton family. Season 2 in 2019.

No. 4, Castle Rock (Hulu), psychological horror series based on the works of Stephen King. Great ensemble cast, renewed for a second season but with a completely different story.

No. 2, Killing Eve. British made drama. "Quick-paced, funny and witty all at the same time." Renewed for a second season.

No. 1, Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan. "High production values."

Honorable mentions:

Pose (FX)
Altered Carbon
Harlen Coben's Safe (Netflix)
Mayans M.C. (from the creator of Sons of Anarchy)
On My Block (Netflix)
A Very English Scandal
The Alienist
McMafia
Succession
Lost In Space
(Netflix)

From all of the above, The Terror looks particularly intriguing. Maybe most of them are worth looking into. Who has seen any of the above?

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Something I never knew about Steinbrenner on Seinfeld:

Did you guys know that it was Larry David doing the voice?

Reactions: GoodKiwi

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Some absolutely fascinating insight from Jason Alexander on Larry David, the character "George" and the way David turned the formula for writing sitcoms, upside down:

Reactions: GoodKiwi

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
So that's where this forum's Roy Munson originates from. Does he have shooping abilities in the movie? :naughty:

Will have to look for it.

On a different subject, I knew someone who used to love the movie Sling Blade. I've liked several Billy Bob Thornton productions but newer saw Sling Blade. The guy I knew used to imitate this scene, with the "huh huh" mannerism that Thornton exhibits:

Wondering if any of you are familiar with it and whether it's worth looking into.

As far as Thornton goes, I've absolutely loved his work in Fargo Season 2 and more recently, in a two season series recommended by GoodKiwi, Goliath:

Sling Blade is in my top 10 sleepers of all time. Haven’t watched it in a dozen years so maybe aged poorly but anyone I’ve recommended it to loved it

Fraility is another great sleeper if you’ve never seen it, MM shows some of his range before going off to be a goof in chick flicks - there’s some cheesy scenes but accept then and move on

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Something I never knew about Steinbrenner on Seinfeld:

Did you guys know that it was Larry David doing the voice?

I knew. And the amazing part of this was that David's lines as Steinbrenner were all improv.

Some absolutely fascinating insight from Jason Alexander on Larry David, the character "George" and the way David turned the formula for writing sitcoms, upside down:

David and Seinfeld did an amazing job putting that show together. Masters of their crafts.

Another interesting note is that Larry David actually had a neighbor named Kramer who would come into his apartment, rummage through his fridge an all and would come up with all kinds of schemes on how to make money. So they based Michael Richards' character on him. But Richards simply took that character to epic heights.

Another note on Kramer. The real life Kramer (David's neighbor) started a Seinfeld tour, taking people to the New York locations that the show used for their locations. He said that he wasn't making money off his name being used, so he found a way to to make money off it. And the show spoofed that by using Kramer start a J. Peterman tour, who had used Kramer's stories for his autobiography.

My favorite show of all time. I revisit this show two to three times a year start to finish. Brilliantly written and brilliantly acted.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Coming in at no. 8 is Bruce with Bill Hader, which we've reviewed here.

At no. 7, Counterpart

No. 6: AMC's The Terror:

No. 5, Yellowstone

No. 2, Killing Eve.

No. 1, Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan.
Honorable mentions:

Altered Carbon

From all of the above, The Terror looks particularly intriguing. Maybe most of them are worth looking into. Who has seen any of the above?

Your no. 8 i think it's Barry and not Bruce.

Loved Counterpart. It's the only one that i would strongly recommend.

I didn't liked Yellowstone or the Terror. The terror could have been compelling if they had drop the fantasy stuff.

Killing Eve is decent but has a weak season finale.

Jack Ryan and Altered Carbon are average shows. Not bad not great either.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I knew. And the amazing part of this was that David's lines as Steinbrenner were all improv.

David and Seinfeld did an amazing job putting that show together. Masters of their crafts.

Another interesting note is that Larry David actually had a neighbor named Kramer who would come into his apartment, rummage through his fridge an all and would come up with all kinds of schemes on how to make money. So they based Michael Richards' character on him. But Richards simply took that character to epic heights.

Another note on Kramer. The real life Kramer (David's neighbor) started a Seinfeld tour, taking people to the New York locations that the show used for their locations. He said that he wasn't making money off his name being used, so he found a way to to make money off it. And the show spoofed that by using Kramer start a J. Peterman tour, who had used Kramer's stories for his autobiography.

My favorite show of all time. I revisit this show two to three times a year start to finish. Brilliantly written and brilliantly acted.

I spent several hours reviewing Seinfeld interviews by the main characters and all of the above was discussed, including how the Kramer character was originally cast as "Kessler", however Jerry insisted that they use "Kramer" for the character as it sounded the best to him. And so the real life Kramer made several demands for the rights to his name and got all of them, including a hefty lump sum.

What was particularly fascinating to me is how both Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David did not have writing experience for the type of show they were doing and how daunting it was for David to even do the first 4 shows that the network commissioned. To make matters even more interesting is how they ended up hiring two other writers who themselves had no experience as writers on a show.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Your no. 8 i think it's Barry and not Bruce.

Loved Counterpart. It's the only one that i would strongly recommend.

I didn't liked Yellowstone or the Terror. The terror could have been compelling if they had drop the fantasy stuff.

Killing Eve is decent but has a weak season finale.

Jack Ryan and Altered Carbon are average shows. Not bad not great either.

You are correct about Barry -- I've amended the post. Writing up stuff late at night is a recipe for disaster. :laugh:

Thanks for the feedback.

So, if you didn't like the series suggested by that link, which ones would have made your list of TV shows to watch (without choosing any from the list provided as you only liked Counterpart). Thanks in advance.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
So, if you didn't like the series suggested by that link, which ones would have made your list of TV shows to watch (without choosing any from the list provided as you only liked Counterpart). Thanks in advance.

I don't watch a lot of new shows outside of Netflix i generally wait for positive feedback or a rating of 8.3 + on imdb before giving a show a chance.

1- Narcos mexico: i Don't know if that count as a new show or not ?

2- Face à la rue: It's a documentary show where the host is meeting homeless people or people who use to be homeless and explored how they end up there what step they are taking or not to get their lives back on the track. Drugs and alcohol addiction, prostitution, tragic loss, mental illness and friendship are some of the subject of the show.

3- Babylon Berlin: Also probably wouldn't count as a new show because it has already 2 seasons but i discover the show this year.

4- Demain des hommes: It's a better Lance et compte but with less nudity.

5- Fugueuse

6- Genius: Picasso

7- the haunting of hill house

Other shows that look interesting and that i might give it a try someday:

cobra kai

Who is america ?

Kung Fu Panda: The Paws of Destiny

plan b: saison 2

L'amica geniale

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
There is a paying service that is usually suggested when you acquire a new TV to help you calibrate it.

Most often, that service is not really needed.

However, in the case you describe, you may want to look into a few things.

This may be a common problem associated with this kind of TV set. If it is, you'd be well-advised to contact the store or the technical department of the manufacturer. It could well be this problem has been flagged already but the store either knew about it or has been in the dark if it's a new product.

Once you've cleared that, and especially if it's an highly advanced set, then any tinkering can lead you into many hours of experimentation since you are working without the benefit of instruments to pigeon-hole the problem: How to Get the Best Picture Quality from Your 4K TV

If you have established that the problem is not with this particular model, then it may well be that they have sold you a lemon. It happens. Or maybe the TV was mishandled between its manufacturing and until it arrived at your residence.

Assuming it's a matter of settings, then try and work out an arrangement with the store to have a technician come and see it. And if they don't have anyone, then see if you can get them to pay for an external service like Geek Squad -- their services are usually offered via merchants at the point of sale. Maybe they'll agree to pay for all of it or part of it -- but you absolutely need a diagnostic especially that you've just gotten the TV.

If you sit on it for too long, the easier it will be for the store to put the onus of the TV's operation, on you.

Hoping this helps. Good luck.

Damn dude, thanks for all the advices! Much appreciated. I did not have the time to call anybody yet. I was thinking about calling the shop first so that maybe they can help me calibrating the set whatever.

But I was wondering if this is a sort of thing that happens often with the new type of televisons?

Also the strangest thing is that the problems are never there as far as any type of sports. Maybe cause the sport channels have upgraded to fit the standards of these type of TVs whatever.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Damn dude, thanks for all the advices! Much appreciated. I did not have the time to call anybody yet. I was thinking about calling the shop first so that maybe they can help me calibrating the set whatever.

But I was wondering if this is a sort of thing that happens often with the new type of televisons?

Also the strangest thing is that the problems are never there as far as any type of sports. Maybe cause the sport channels have upgraded to fit the standards of these type of TVs whatever.

You're welcome. Since it's a new set, why break your head when you can first find out if the store will do it for free? I'd explore all the free options before doing it myself or using a paying service.

However, I wouldn't wait too long -- the longer you don't contact them, the more likely that they'll put it on you or will deflect.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

This list from a YouTube clip, contains several intriguing suggestions. I won't list all of them, but here are the ones that caught my attention:

No. 10 on their list is Condor, a show that they say evokes the series 24 and which was renewed for a second season. Plenty of action, wondering if anyone has seen it?

At no. 7, Counterpart with J.K. Simmons -- loved it! We've also posted about this here. Season 2 coming up on Jan. 6th. I'd watch it again.

No. 6: AMC's The Terror: "This British horror anthology series takes place in 1848. It's about two real life war ships that are sent on a naval expedition to find the Northwest Passage. Along the way, they become trapped in ice near the Arctic and face starvation, mutiny, cannibalism and a demonic polar bear. The acting, writing and cinematography are all top notch." Renewed for a second season in 2019. This one really looks interesting, never heard of it.

No. 5, Yellowstone with Kevin Costner. Western drama series on the Paramount network, with a "stellar supporting cast". It's about the morally corrupt Dunton family. Season 2 in 2019.

No. 4, Castle Rock (Hulu), psychological horror series based on the works of Stephen King. Great ensemble cast, renewed for a second season but with a completely different story.

No. 2, Killing Eve. British made drama. "Quick-paced, funny and witty all at the same time." Renewed for a second season.

Honorable mentions:

Pose (FX)
Altered Carbon
On My Block (Netflix)
A Very English Scandal
The Alienist
McMafia
Succession
Lost In Space
(Netflix)

I really loved The Terror. I just love this sort of setting esp. around that time and place, 19th century North pole exploration. Expedition come face to face with the supernatural.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal

Honorable mentions:

Pose (FX)
Altered Carbon
On My Block (Netflix)
A Very English Scandal
The Alienist
McMafia
Succession
Lost In Space
(Netflix)

From these tv shows I've seen Barry which I found pretty good. The Georgians or Chechens, he worked for were funny guys. Also, Henry Winkler is hysterical at times.

Mayans MC was entertaining. Not much of a cinematic master piece but it was fun to watch.

Safe was odd... Why would they hire an American actor in a British role. I like Michael Hall but his accent at times was odd.

The last one I saw was Succession which was actually a solid show IMO.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just noticed that Season 3 of F is for Family is now up on Netflix.

Greatly enjoyed the first two seasons. For those who don't know, it's a Bill Burr co-produced animated series taking place in the 70s and where Burr lends his voice to the main character.

It's quite funny, if you want to give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad