OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just watched the first 2 episodes of My Brilliant Friend on HBO.

The casting of the two friends is just splendid, especially the brilliant friend. The cinematography draws you right in, as well as the isolated, desolate neighborhood. You really feel like you're seeing the world of Naples in the 40s and all of the cruelty that families practiced as a matter of survival and instinct.

It evokes a world set in its ways where ruthlessness and being cunning is not just a recipe for survival but a path to power, especially for those who are wealthy and have no conscience. And how all of it trickles down to their sons and daughters who try and find their way into the world -- some of them feeling entitled on account of their parents's good fortune and in some cases, being encouraged to act in the same abusive manner as their parents.

It's an environment where your place in that society is being questioned and challenged by your peers and authority figures alike -- you can be on a pedestal one day and slapped out the next, physically, psychologically and/or emotionally. It's about sexism and how girls are not expected to continue in school and where kids are thought of as manual labor to help support the family. It's also about class warfare -- those who have money can and will and look down and take advantage of those who are too gullible or uneducated to understand the world of business.

And then you have this little girl, the "brilliant friend", who has a confident manner about her and who challenges the norms and ways of that society -- and who acts like someone with a purpose. We don't know why she is that way (not yet), but she does get noticed by her first grade teacher as possessing extraordinary intelligence, but it doesn't appear to matter to anyone else, except of course the girl who befriends her and from whose perspective the story is told.

There is more to the story so the set-up above, is hardly a spoiler. Sexism, class divisiveness, poverty, a society that condones violence are all verifiable historical happenings that one can readily read about when delving into 1940s Italian town of the south. What is different and absorbs you, is how the subject matter is depicted and treated and its perspective. And this is where the casting scores a lot of points.

If you're looking to embark on a new series, I would strongly recommend this one.

It's based on a 4-book international bestseller by Elena Ferrante. I've bought book one, am definitely buying the rest.

Season one covers book one in 8 episodes. We've got a lot to look forward to over the next 3 years, as the story follows the life of these two young girls until their old age.

Reactions: groovejuice

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I started watching Riverdale. It's entertaining but it's pretty much Desperate Housewives-type cliches with seemingly perfect people having a dark past. When the Quaterback having an affair with the older female teacher passes for suspense well...there you you go. There are so many shows like these, it's like a genre into itself "Small Town Murder Mysteries". Teen Wolf was like this too.

It's definitely not what I was expecting. It's creative and ironic to turn the Archie comics into a nighttime soap, but they lost me after 6 episodes or so. There so much better content out there IMO, but I can understand how some people could be drawn in.

Reactions: Kimota

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I watched the movie Outlaw/King by the director of Hell or High Water.

Again teaming up with Chris Pine. I was interested in seeing their new collaboration this time transported to pseuso medieval Scotland at the time of William Wallace with a fresh realistic eye about this time and place. A lot of it was that and there's this epic well-made breathtaking battle between the English and Scotish. But at the end of the day it felt as if it was one episode of a multi-part medieval show a la The Last Kingdom. But whereas a long TV show you have time to develop characters, get deeper and meatier, this was not so a lot of things were left on the surface and I didn't care that much about the characters. I can just imagine a Jon Snow movie where you only see him for 2 hours, you wouldn't give that much of a shit about him.

That is why I have a theory that you need character-actors for TV and charismatic movie star quality for movies, especially in genre movies. Two different mediums with a different need. You need a movie star-type for a movie cause you need to be seduced right away cause all you have is two hours to tell a story. And while I think Pine can easily be a movie star-type, they played it in such an understated manner that it wasn't easy to join him for the ride. It was a character-actor thing.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's definitely not what I was expecting. It's creative and ironic to turn the Archie comics into a nighttime soap, but they lost me after 6 episodes or so. There so much better content out there IMO, but I can understand how some people could be drawn in.

I remember how you had one or two shows that you had recommended from the Crave network a few weeks or months back.

Now that Crave content is part of HBO, I was wondering if you could revisit those recommendations or even make new ones.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: groovejuice

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal

Again teaming up with Chris Pine. I was interested in seeing their new collaboration this time transported to pseuso medieval Scotland at the time of William Wallace with a fresh realistic eye about this time and place. A lot of it was that and there's this epic well-made breathtaking battle between the English and Scotish. But at the end of the day it felt as if it was one episode of a multi-part medieval show a la The Last Kingdom. But whereas a long TV show you have time to develop characters, get deeper and meatier, this was not so a lot of things were left on the surface and I didn't care that much about the characters. I can just imagine a Jon Snow movie where you only see him for 2 hours, you wouldn't give that much of a **** about him.

That is why I have a theory that you need character-actors for TV and charismatic movie star quality for movies, especially in genre movies. Two different mediums with a different need. You need a movie star-type for a movie cause you need to be seduced right away cause all you have is two hours to tell a story. And while I think Pine can easily be a movie star-type, they played it in such an understated manner that it wasn't easy to join him for the ride. It was a character-actor thing.

Odd that you would call it pseudo medievial time when it pretty much is. The film is focused on the most important figure of that time in Scottish history, Robert the Bruce. He was instrumental in the first war of Scottish independence.

Scottish historians actually debate how important William Wallace was in history. Wallace had a lot of help from his right hand man and tactician Andrew Moray who was mortally wounded at the battle of Sterling Bridge. The most interesting part of this is that would be Wallace's last victory as Moray died sometime after the battle.

Scottish history rarely gets to see the light but it is interesting stuff.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Odd that you would call it pseudo medievial time when it pretty much is. The film is focused on the most important figure of that time in Scottish history, Robert the Bruce. He was instrumental in the first war of Scottish independence.

Scottish historians actually debate how important William Wallace was in history. Wallace had a lot of help from his right hand man and tactician Andrew Moray who was mortally wounded at the battle of Sterling Bridge. The most interesting part of this is that would be Wallace's last victory as Moray died sometime after the battle.

Scottish history rarely gets to see the light but it is interesting stuff.

I didn't want to call it medieval until I was sure. lol Some people gets anal about the sort of stuff.

I will say it's interesting and yea we do not get a lot of Scotish history and it was well told but it lacked originally and depth at script level. Like I said it you get far more in mini-series like The Last Kingdom.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

Again teaming up with Chris Pine. I was interested in seeing their new collaboration this time transported to pseuso medieval Scotland at the time of William Wallace with a fresh realistic eye about this time and place. A lot of it was that and there's this epic well-made breathtaking battle between the English and Scotish. But at the end of the day it felt as if it was one episode of a multi-part medieval show a la The Last Kingdom. But whereas a long TV show you have time to develop characters, get deeper and meatier, this was not so a lot of things were left on the surface and I didn't care that much about the characters. I can just imagine a Jon Snow movie where you only see him for 2 hours, you wouldn't give that much of a **** about him.

Just saw that you mentioned The Last Kingdom which got me wondering when it would be back again. I searched and discovered that season 3 was released a couple of days ago so that was a nice surprise. I'm only watching Ray Donovan at the moment so having The Last Kingdom also on the go is great. Vikings will soon be back as well so I'm also looking forward to that.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Does Esmail have another gear to him I'm starting to wonder? Homecoming watches exactly like Mr. Robot, it is the exact same thing stylistically. I grew tired of it and turned it off after 2 episodes. Meh.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just saw that you mentioned The Last Kingdom which got me wondering when it would be back again. I searched and discovered that season 3 was released a couple of days ago so that was a nice surprise. I'm only watching Ray Donovan at the moment so having The Last Kingdom also on the go is great. Vikings will soon be back as well so I'm also looking forward to that.

Where are you at with Ray Donovan?

We just wanted to warn you about season 5. It completely derails the prior 4 seasons, which were poignant.

Luckily, season 6 appears to be in the same mold as the first 4.

Reactions: 417

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I remember how you had one or two shows that you had recommended from the Crave network a few weeks or months back.

Now that Crave content is part of HBO, I was wondering if you could revisit those recommendations or even make new ones.

Thanks in advance.

I'll try to separate the Crave content I liked from the other sources. I'll be happy to let you know when I unravel it. :laugh:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Any MST3K fans? Just watched the first episode of the new season just released today on Netflix. They ripped on 'Mac and Me'. I was dying. I don't know if this is sacrilegious but I think the new ones are the funniest. The batting avg. of riffs that land are WAY up.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Please no more Rocky/Creed movies
Sure it was great seeing Ivan Drago back but Jesus, it’s the same recycled story over and over and over and over ....
End it here.
The movie was decent but enough is enough

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'll try to separate the Crave content I liked from the other sources. I'll be happy to let you know when I unravel it. :laugh:

Sorry, didn't mean to burden you with a time-wasting pursuit. The two shows you suggested are plenty.

I also remember how someone recommended Letterkenny which is a Crave staple. I wonder if it's still worth looking into.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Where are you at with Ray Donovan?

We just wanted to warn you about season 5. It completely derails the prior 4 seasons, which were poignant.

Luckily, season 6 appears to be in the same mold as the first 4.

I've been watching Ray Donovan since day 1 so I'm currently up to date. Yeah last season was by far the weakest of all the seasons but it still had some good moments. After watching all those Ray Donovan episodes I wonder how many times Ray as said "sure" and "what" in this series thus far. :) There's a few thrown into every episode it seems.

I've also watched the first 4 episodes of this current season of The Last Kingdom since yesterday. I really like this show.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Sorry, didn't mean to burden you with a time-wasting pursuit. The two shows you suggested are plenty.

I also remember how someone recommended Letterkenny which is a Crave staple. I wonder if it's still worth looking into.

I've watched a couple of episodes and my funny bone wasn't moved nearly as much as I'd hoped.

Both those series are quite short. I expect a second season for Killing Eve, but have no idea about Patrick Melrose.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I've been watching Ray Donovan since day 1 so I'm currently up to date. Yeah last season was by far the weakest of all the seasons but it still had some good moments. After watching all those Ray Donovan episodes I wonder how many times Ray as said "sure" and "what" in this series thus far. :) There's a few thrown into every episode it seems.

I've also watched the first 4 episodes of this current season of The Last Kingdom since yesterday. I really like this show.

True enough. They ought to have a fixer like Ray in the Habs's dressing room to get in the face of certain individuals. :laugh:

I had watched the first two seasons of The Last Kingdom and for some reason, I lost interest. I wonder how well it holds up overall.

Reactions: sheed36

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Unfortunately not in the Crave TV selection for Montreal.

Seriously? I assumed all of Crave Canada would be identical. Are you actually hitting the ON DEMAND button on your remote?

On Telus it's On Demand / Movies & Series / Crave / Dramas

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Seriously? I assumed all of Crave Canada would be identical. Are you actually hitting the ON DEMAND button on your remote?

On Telus it's On Demand / Movies & Series / Crave / Dramas

Yes, On Demand. It's bundled with HBO. Says "Crave and HBO" when I go to the On Demand section.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad