OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Maybe you aren't getting the whole of Crave - just the Movie Channel and HBO parts. Give your supplier a call and ask them. It shouldn't be expensive to move up if that's the case.

Reactions: Runner77

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Just saw that you mentioned The Last Kingdom which got me wondering when it would be back again. I searched and discovered that season 3 was released a couple of days ago so that was a nice surprise. I'm only watching Ray Donovan at the moment so having The Last Kingdom also on the go is great. Vikings will soon be back as well so I'm also looking forward to that.

Yea I had two great thanksgiving gifts today: a new TV and my nephew announcing me that The Last Kingdom had returned. He's already at Episode 7. lol I know what I'm gonna do in the last few days.

Vikings has almost become an event a la Game of Thrones at this point, I cannot wait for its return November 28! Bow to God Ivar.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yea I had two great thanksgiving gifts today: a new TV and my nephew announcing me that The Last Kingdom had returned. He's already at Episode 7. lol I know what I'm gonna do in the last few days.

Vikings has almost become an event a la Game of Thrones at this point, I cannot wait for its return November 28! Bow to God Ivar.

What do you like about The Last Kingdom? I found it had its moments but it wasn't sustained. I don't think I finished season 2, it's been a while.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
What do you like about The Last Kingdom? I found it had its moments but it wasn't sustained. I don't think I finished season 2, it's been a while.

I had trouble at the beginning but I felt once it started going I loved it. The key for me is that on shows like GoT and Vikings it's easy to pick favorites but on a show like TLK, even though there's a hero, they play a lot with the viewer's emotion as far as the characters' actions and your perception of them. That makes it not an easy watch but that is what I like about it, that it gets me to an uncomfortable place. I had even times when I was struggling to get back in the series cause like I said it's no an easy watch but when I watched it I loved it. More than anything though, I never know what will happen.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I watched a movie called Goodbye Christopher Robin about the author of Winnie the Pooh thinking that it was the last Winnie the Pooh movie with Ewan McGregor given that the EM movie that came out seemed pretty realisitic So the whole movie I was waiting for Christopher Robin to grow up and become Ewan McGregor and have the toutous come alive. But it never happened. So at the end of the movie I was like damn I have been royaly bamboozled. But anyway it was a good movie.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
True enough. They ought to have a fixer like Ray in the Habs's dressing room to get in the face of certain individuals. :laugh:

I had watched the first two seasons of The Last Kingdom and for some reason, I lost interest. I wonder how well it holds up overall.

I've now watched 6 episodes of the new season and I'm mostly enjoying it thus far. I quite enjoy these type of TV shows like TLK, Vikings, GoT, Rome and Spartacus.

Reactions: Runner77 and Kimota

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Would like a good action/crime movie to watch. By good I mean something that isn't completely awful and has some resemblance of a plot. Nothing too dark, not up for it at the moment. Anyone have any suggestions?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Would like a good action/crime movie to watch. By good I mean something that isn't completely awful and has some resemblance of a plot. Nothing too dark, not up for it at the moment. Anyone have any suggestions?
Hotel Artemis perhaps? Meh..but if you want a laidback flick without having to think much and just roll with the punches...I found it pretty chill.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Hotel Artemis perhaps? Meh..but if you want a laidback flick without having to think much and just roll with the punches...I found it pretty chill.
That is, shockingly, almost perfect for what I was picturing in my mind asking the question.

Thank you.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I found Hotel Artemis to be a movie where nothing happens unfortunately. Fast-forwarded my way through it mostly. I think its director was drunk on his own premise and missed the mark completely here.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I found Hotel Artemis to be a movie where nothing happens unfortunately. Fast-forwarded my way through it mostly. I think its director was drunk on his own premise and missed the mark completely here.
Have you seen Baby Driver?

Worst movie title in history but suprisingly a decent action flick and good soundtrack

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Ya, just an action movie...your standard was not awful with a slight attempt at a plot. Lol..thought it'd fit the bill.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Ya, just an action movie...your standard was not awful with a slight attempt at a plot. Lol..thought it'd fit the bill.
Nah, I appreciate your suggestion. Just didn't float my boat for some reason or another. No biggie.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Have you seen Baby Driver?

Worst movie title in history but suprisingly a decent action flick and good soundtrack
I think I saw the beginning of it at some point while over at a friend's place. Is that the one where this young guy carries a coffee while wearing headphones with music blasting? Some vague recollection I have of it, but that's all.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I think I saw the beginning of it at some point while over at a friend's place. Is that the one where this young guy carries a coffee while wearing headphones with music blasting? Some vague recollection I have of it, but that's all.
That’s it, I expected something dumb like Bruce Willis overdubbing a kid driving a car but was pretty decent and loved the music
Tough to find good action/crime since the days of Heat/Departed

Ever watch Sling Blade? Not quite action but great movie

Reactions: GoodKiwi

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
That’s it, I expected something dumb like Bruce Willis overdubbing a kid driving a car but was pretty decent and loved the music
Tough to find good action/crime since the days of Heat/Departed

Ever watch Sling Blade? Not quite action but great movie
Nope, never even heard of it. I'm not up on action movies, I rarely watch any really. Will look it up, thanks.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Contrary to my mood for something lighter tonight, I ended up watching Taxi Driver again. Rough stuff, as it always is.

Just can't help myself often and keep going back to the classics I love over and over. It feels like there have been barely any movies in the last decade or so that I can get into. There are so many movies I adore from the 70's and 80's, but not nearly as many after that time period for some reason. Perhaps it's me getting older, I'm not sure. Keep getting more and more difficult to continue to expand my horizons when it comes to feature films. Always easier to fall back on something tested and true instead.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
It’s not action, more Crime triller/drama
Just looked it up. Is that the '96 film with BBT all over it?

If so, my interest is piqued. Thanks for your recommendation.

P.S. Duvall is in it and that a superb bonus for me.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Contrary to my mood for something lighter tonight, I ended up watching Taxi Driver again. Rough stuff, as it always is.

Just can't help myself often and keep going back to the classics I love over and over. It feels like there have been barely any movies in the last decade or so that I can get into. There are so many movies I adore from the 70's and 80's, but not nearly as many after that time period for some reason. Perhaps it's me getting older, I'm not sure. Keep getting more and more difficult to continue to expand my horizons when it comes to feature films. Always easier to fall back on something tested and true instead.
Not just you. I find movies overly repetitive. So much so that any movie that is slightly out of the usual trend gets nominated.
Take Hotel Artemis...isn't it very similar to John Wick in terms of idea? Place for assassins to check in...
Ideas just get recycled left and right. I think its partly why TV Shows are way more popular. They bring in new ideas at a much faster pace, or so it seems.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Not just you. I find movies overly repetitive. So much so that any movie that is slightly out of the usual trend gets nominated.
Take Hotel Artemis...isn't it very similar to John Wick in terms of idea? Place for assassins to check in...
Ideas just get recycled left and right. I think its partly why TV Shows are way more popular. They bring in new ideas at a much faster pace, or so it seems.
What I value the most when judging a film over a longer period of time is the impression it made on me as I first watched it. I've come to terms with that over the years. For example, I can still remember how I felt sitting through the closing credits of something like "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", "Casablanca" or "Citizen Kane". I can't with almost anything from the last decade or so.

Sure, the older movies are far behind the current ones technically speaking, but, for some reason, they excelled at delivering their message and point of view better than 99% of what's in theaters these days. I haven't really thought about why that is much, but perhaps it's because there weren't many tricks available for the older productions to hide behind? I'm not sure.

The older classics, most of them, have this "claustrophobic" quality to them IMO. They're right in your face. I certainly appreciate that. Modern cinema has largely forgotten about that aspect of film-making IMO. And that's a shame.

P.S. You're totally on-point with your comment on TV shows. We're living in a golden age when it comes to TV IMO. TV series have long surpassed movies at large in terms of production values IMO.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
What I value the most when judging a film over a longer period of time is the impression it made on me as I first watched it. I've come to terms with that over the years. For example, I can still remember how I felt sitting through the closing credits of something like "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", "Casablanca" or "Citizen Kane". I can't with almost anything from the last decade or so.

Sure, the older movies are far behind the current ones technically speaking, but, for some reason, they excelled at delivering their message and point of view better than 99% of what's in theaters these days. I haven't really thought about why that is much, but perhaps it's because there weren't many tricks available for the older productions to hide behind? I'm not sure.

The older classics, most of them, have this "claustrophobic" quality to them IMO. They're right in your face. I certainly appreciate that. Modern cinema has largely forgotten about that aspect of film-making IMO. And that's a shame.

P.S. You're totally on-point with your comment on TV shows. We're living in a golden age when it comes to TV IMO. TV series have long surpassed movies at large in terms of production values IMO.
I mean, I think there are some good movies out there, they just get very little promo compared to the rest.
Anyways, definitely a weird time for movies, but am very happy with TV shows.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Watched the new Netflix Joel & Ethan Coen movie... The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Yikes.

It's.... huh... somethin else.

A collection of satirical and dark humored short stories.

It's not bad, but it isn't great either. Always been a fan of the Coen Brother but the last 10 years weren't that great from them.

Haven't seen Suburbicon yet, so I can't comment on that one, but they haven't made a great movie since Burn After Reading and NCFOM. Some good movies, but nothing great.

Some of the short stories in the movie are good, like the one with Liam Neeson. Extra points for quoting Shelley's Ozymandias poem.

Reactions: Runner77 and Kimota
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad