OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Counterpart S02E01 aired last night.

I know. I was going to post about it but I was on hiatus.

I'm rewatching Season 1 which is available on HBO, on demand. Absolutely like JK Simmons. The concept is unusual but highly intriguing and complex. Looking forward to seeing where they take the show this season.

Simmons was on Fallon last week, promoting Season 2:

Reactions: GoodKiwi

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Been watching Mayans M.C.

True, it's got terrible acting, with no one ever looking comfortable on-screen, and the script is very iffy.

But it pulled me in, largely because of its soundtrack. It is, undoubtedly, the very best thing about it. It drives the entire thing IMO.

Camera is neat at times too.

This isn't a top tier TV series, but give it a peek if you are so inclined. It passes my smell test, at least up to this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal

True, it's got terrible acting, with no one ever looking comfortable on-screen, and the script is very iffy.

But it pulled me in, largely because of its soundtrack. It is, undoubtedly, the very best thing about it. It drives the entire thing IMO.

This isn't a top tier TV series, but give it a peek if you are so inclined. It passes my smell test, at least up to this point.

It starts with the theme song for me. I really enjoy the theme song. Like the Sopranos theme song or even the Wire's theme song.

I actually preferred the Cartel side of the show more than the Bikers. The bikers seemed too forced where as I enjoyed Galindo and his family dynamic. For what it is it's a good show in my opinion.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
It starts with the theme song for me. I really enjoy the theme song. Like the Sopranos theme song or even the Wire's theme song.

I actually preferred the Cartel side of the show more than the Bikers. The bikers seemed too forced where as I enjoyed Galindo and his family dynamic. For what it is it's a good show in my opinion.
I'm only two episodes into it, so it's difficult to comment on the cartel side of things, at least for now.

But, you're correct, the bikers side of the show isn't up to par. It's what I've seen mostly so far. The acting dwarfs the writing here (and not in a good way), that's how inept it is. Ironically enough, I tend to pick up on script inefficiencies much quicker than the cast, but it's not the case here. I wish they had done a better job casting.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
While there's nothing great about it, I have become sort of an addict to Riverdale. I'm in the middle of the second season. It is sort of like Teen Wolf/Smallville but less interesting. lol There's a serial killer in town, who is it? learn about it in the school paper, folks.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I have nothing left to watch... any good shows I should watch for?

While there's nothing great about it, I have become sort of an addict to Riverdale. I'm in the middle of the second season. It is sort of like Teen Wolf/Smallville but less interesting. lol There's a serial killer in town, who is it? learn about it in the school paper, folks.
Its freaking amazing and the 3rs season just gets better.

The development with the Gargoyles and kings storyline are fun. Its grim as hell, keep going.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I know. I was going to post about it but I was on hiatus.

I'm rewatching Season 1 which is available on HBO, on demand. Absolutely like JK Simmons. The concept is unusual but highly intriguing and complex. Looking forward to seeing where they take the show this season.

I think JK Simmons is what makes the entire series worthwhile. The world doesn't work all that well here IMO, and it keeps showing more cracks with each passing episode. But the lead's performances (yes, plural) more than make up for all of Counterpart's script's shortcomings. Simmons is good here, really good. I love how they cast such epic personalities differences between the two and then work at narrowing and, perhaps, even flipping both personalities (just my guess as to where this is going). That is the mastery of this show IMO. It's very subtle as well, it rarely, if ever, goes bold with that aspect of itself. Love how that's been put together. This is how you intelligently build a "soapbox" for a capable actor to stand on in a way of it not undermining his or hers talents.

Last edited:

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012

Breaking Bad
Better call saul
Curb your enthusiasm
Lost
Black Mirror
Person of interest
Fargo season 1 and 2
the office us
True detective season 1
Babylon Berlin
Chuck
Dexter season 1,2 and 4
Godless
13 Reason why season 1
Big little lies
House of Cards season 1 and 2
manhunt unabomber
Ozark
Narcos
Westworld
Genius
archer
silicon valley
Homeland
Counterpart
Fauda
American crime story the season about OJ simpson
sneaky peate
mindhunter
dark
Stranger things
South park
Sherlock
the night of
Game of thrones
Hannibal

If you understand french

Les invincibles (Québec)
Série noire saison 1
L'imposteur
Fugueuse
Demain des hommes

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006

Looking for something well-crafted, even if its premise might not appeal to you reading its description?

If so, try Justified. It is one of the biggest surprises I've ever been delivered with any TV series. It is smart. The writing is probably in my top five ever. I will easily put its script up against any other TV series I've seen.

It also cleverly hides what it really wants for you to remember about it - an old-school Western. Yes, that is its "hook" on the surface. Except there isn't anything "old-school" about it. Pretty amazing blend really. Nothing like it exists, at least from what I've seen. Add in the fact that Olyphant couldn't have done a better job as the lead. But you can't really find any weak links with the show's cast at all.

Very memorable and very underrated IMO. Underrated in that few ever talk about it. But it is highly acclaimed critically, and deservedly so.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I have recently finished season one of "Homecoming". Or rather suffered through it. Don't think I've ever seen a show this "soul-dead" before. Sure, it is very well crafted and provokes its viewer to look deeper into its nuances (Esmail's trademark). But it landed so so flat, at least for me. It was put together to be a critics' wonder-child more than anything IMO. It's very evident and doesn't even pretend to shy away from it IMO. It is probably going to be the best new TV series of 2018, at least as judged critically. But it's a huge dud to me. At least I wasn't overly hyped up about it as I was about Sharp Objects. Both series share similarities IMO. You can't fault either for underdelivering on technical merits, but that just isn't enough with both. Watching them felt like doing mandatory homework more than anything.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
We are very near folks! I have it on good authority, but no exact release date unfortunately. Impossible to expect season two to live up to the debut one. I can't imagine how it possibly could, given how mind-blowing that was. Could it?

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Looking for something well-crafted, even if its premise might not appeal to you reading its description?

If so, try Justified. It is one of the biggest surprises I've ever been delivered with any TV series. It is smart. The writing is probably in my top five ever. I will easily put its script up against any other TV series I've seen.

It also cleverly hides what it really wants for you to remember about it - an old-school Western. Yes, that is its "hook" on the surface. Except there isn't anything "old-school" about it. Pretty amazing blend really. Nothing like it exists, at least from what I've seen. Add in the fact that Olyphant couldn't have done a better job as the lead. But you can't really find any weak links with the show's cast at all.

Very memorable and very underrated IMO. Underrated in that few ever talk about it. But it is highly acclaimed critically, and deservedly so.

+1 for Justified. As a modern day western as you mentioned. I thought this show was well acted and structured well. I thought Olyphant nailed it but Goggins was really really good in it.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island

+1 for Justified. As a modern day western as you mentioned. I thought this show was well acted and structured well. I thought Olyphant nailed it but Goggins was really really good in it.
I mentioned before how Boyd Crowder was one of my favorite characters on any show and someone pointed out he also played Venus Van Dam on Sons of Anarchy. Great actor, great show too. Olyphant is a riot. I also liked Sam Elliott in the last season or 2. With the deep voice.

Another show I loved and want to rewatch soon is Penny Dreadful.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I mentioned before how Boyd Crowder was one of my favorite characters on any show and someone pointed out he also played Venus Van Dam on Sons of Anarchy. Great actor, great show too. Olyphant is a riot. I also liked Sam Elliott in the last season or 2. With the deep voice.

Another show I loved and want to rewatch soon is Penny Dreadful.

I did enjoy Penny Dreadful for the most part but there were a lot of times the show frustrated me as well. I felt there were a lot of wasted opportunities, and I felt they were really all over the place with Vanessa (Eva Green). I also felt the character of Dorian Gray was under used. The final season was also a waste in some ways to me since the show I believe was cancelled rather than ending, so the last few episodes seemed very rushed.

Reactions: Fenris and ArsHabs

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
My recent movie/TV experiences

About 5 episodes into the second season of Iron Fist. Too bad it got cancelled as it is actually not bad so far.

Going to start the 3rd episode of this season's AHS. I am not really enjoying it so far, and in fact have not enjoyed it much since Murder House, but I guess I'm hoping it gets better though I don't think so.

Manifest, what trash. I can't believe I've actually managed to watch each episode.

Saw Ralph Breaks the Internet. Solid 7/10. I enjoyed it and it was waaayyy better than FB2 which I saw the prior weekend. Surprisingly entertaining for adults also, though I only watched this because my kids wanted to.

Side note, I just received my brand new Vizio P65-F1 65" 4K TV and Nvidia Shield media player. Hopefully I get this all setup for this weekend as I have a 4k copy of Infinity War I am dying to check out.

Reactions: ArsHabs

davey999

Mar 9, 2004

I was a Sons fan and tried to watch Mayans, but bailed after 2 episodes. Simply not very good.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I've been a bit intrigued by Maniac so far. I know I've read mostly negative reviews here, but I am sort of enjoying it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We are very near folks! I have it on good authority, but no exact release date unfortunately. Impossible to expect season two to live up to the debut one. I can't imagine how it possibly could, given how mind-blowing that was. Could it?

Couldn't get into it but taste is personal in these matters. Glad you enjoyed it. I never finished the first season.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
...Side note, I just received my brand new Vizio P65-F1 65" 4K TV and Nvidia Shield media player. Hopefully I get this all setup for this weekend as I have a 4k copy of Infinity War I am dying to check out.

Side note? Whaddya mean, "side note"?

Are you kidding me -- you have new gear and you slip it in as a "side note".

Spill the beans, dude. Your viewing buddies need to know the lowdown.

The usual queries ... why did you decide to go for 4K now, when there isn't a lot of 4K programming available?

Why this set? Why 65"? Price? What's a Nvidia Shield -- thought it was a night cream. Scratch that, not Nivea. What is this media player and why did you go for it? And since TV built in speakers offer a notoriously thin sound, whatdjado about enhancing your sound experience?

Thanks in advance for sharing anything you can. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad