OT: Let's talk about movies and TV - Part XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Watched Daredevil's 3rd season.

I was pleasantly surprised. I always enjoyed the series, but considering the disappointment of the Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Defenders series, I wasn't confident the 3rd season would be as strong as the other two. Turns out it ended up being arguably the best season of the bunch, in my opinion.

Daredevil and the Punisher really are the only two Marvel series worth watching I think.

Reactions: Zorba and Runner77

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

I was pleasantly surprised. I always enjoyed the series, but considering the disappointment of the Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Defenders series, I wasn't confident the 3rd season would be as strong as the other two. Turns out it ended up being arguably the best season of the bunch, in my opinion

Daredevil and the Punisher really are the only two Marvel series worth watching I think.

Agreed, although the first few episodes were valium worthy.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs: 7.5/10 Well made movie. But it could have been better if it the movie was entirely about the 1st or the 5th story.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised. I always enjoyed the series, but considering the disappointment of the Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Defenders series, I wasn't confident the 3rd season would be as strong as the other two. Turns out it ended up being arguably the best season of the bunch, in my opinion.

Fisk has a clone. Or is it the other way around: Matt Whitaker and Daredevil's Kingpin, separated at birth?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Ozy with a neat suggestion in another thread:

Indeed

I think I'll binge a Bill Murray classics weekend, starting with both What About Bob, and my Murray fav, Groundhog Day.

No matter if it's been years since I've watched Groundhog day, I can always easily have those damn lyrics in my head, and whistle the song:

"Strike up the music the band has begun. The Pennsylvania Polka"

Anyone here a fan of Bill Murray? If so, why and which of his flicks would you recommend by order of preference?

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Ozy with a neat suggestion in another thread:

Anyone here a fan of Bill Murray? If so, why and which of his flicks would you recommend by order of preference?

Groundhog Day
Ghostbusters I & II
Scrooged (right time to watch right now!)
Caddyshack
Kingpin
What About Bob?
Ed Wood
Osmosis Jones
Stripes
Tootsie
Quick Change
The Man Who Knew Too Little
Rushmore
Little Shop of Horrors
The Royal Tennenbaums
Lost in Translation

Almost forgot.... Zombieland

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Groundhog Day
Ghostbusters I
& II
Scrooged (right time to watch right now!)
Caddyshack
Kingpin
What About Bob?
Ed Wood
Osmosis Jones
Stripes
Tootsie
Quick Change
The Man Who Knew Too Little
Rushmore
Little Shop of Horrors
The Royal Tennenbaums
Lost in Translation

Almost forgot.... Zombieland

Huge list. Wondering what draws you to Murray?

I don't have a lot of Murray experience -- the bolded is all I saw. I have some catching up to do.

I take it the list is in order of preference.

Are most of these on HBO/Netflix?

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Huge list. Wondering what draws you to Murray?

I don't have a lot of Murray experience -- the bolded is all I saw. I have some catching up to do.

I take it the list is in order of preference.

Are most of these on HBO/Netflix?

Grew-up watching them, I guess.

Ghostbusters was the second movie that I remember seeing as a kid. I loved the movie so much, my mom was nice enough to go see it twice more. First movie I remember seeing at the theatre was Never Ending Story, some months before Ghostbusters.

Also, there was always a Murray movie playing on cable TV when I grew-up.

And yes, order of preference, but I like every movie on that list.

Can't believe you've never watched Kingpin. It's not a Murray movie per se. He plays a secondary role, a villain dooche. Funny as hell.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Grew-up watching them, I guess.

Ghostbusters was the second movie that I remember seeing as a kid. I loved the movie so much, my mom was nice enough to go see it twice more. First movie I remember seeing at the theatre was Never Ending Story, some months before Ghostbusters.

Also, there was always a Murray movie playing on cable TV when I grew-up.

And yes, order of preference, but I like every movie on that list.

Can't believe you've never watched Kingpin. It's not a Murray movie per se. He plays a secondary role, a villain dooche. Funny as hell.

Kingpin is also the origin of Roy Munson!

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Has anyone watched The Sisters Brothers and if so, is it worth the time?

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
I've noticed ever since Crave took over TMN and HBO Canada their time slots aren't as accurate. I missed an episode of a show, pvr'd a later version and got the middle of some movie. Happened again last week when I tape the finale of Last Week Tonight. I also taped Axios which came after it. The first 30 mins of LWT are on the first taping, the last 15 are on the Axios taping. And I only got to see 10 mins of Axios. :shakehead

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I got this uber duper TV as a gift and it's like everything seems accelerated when I watch a movie either on any channels or on bluray/DVD like those Charlie Chaplin silent movie. lol I watched the new episode of Vikings the other day and it's like I had Vertigo cause everything was moving too fast. I wonder if it's something I need to fix on this TV or that maybe my Videotron machine cannot keep up whatever. I just hope this is not the future of TV cause it takes away from the enjoyement of watching anything. Maybe I should call the shop where the TV came from.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I got this uber duper TV as a gift and it's like everything seems accelerated when I watch a movie either on any channels or on bluray/DVD like those Charlie Chaplin silent movie. lol I watched the new episode of Vikings the other day and it's like I had Vertigo cause everything was moving too fast. I wonder if it's something I need to fix on this TV or that maybe my Videotron machine cannot keep up whatever. I just hope this is not the future of TV cause it takes away from the enjoyement of watching anything. Maybe I should call the shop where the TV came from.
Turn off image smoothing or motion smoothing or whatever it's called on your TV

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

There is a paying service that is usually suggested when you acquire a new TV to help you calibrate it.

Most often, that service is not really needed.

However, in the case you describe, you may want to look into a few things.

This may be a common problem associated with this kind of TV set. If it is, you'd be well-advised to contact the store or the technical department of the manufacturer. It could well be this problem has been flagged already but the store either knew about it or has been in the dark if it's a new product.

Once you've cleared that, and especially if it's an highly advanced set, then any tinkering can lead you into many hours of experimentation since you are working without the benefit of instruments to pigeon-hole the problem: How to Get the Best Picture Quality from Your 4K TV

If you have established that the problem is not with this particular model, then it may well be that they have sold you a lemon. It happens. Or maybe the TV was mishandled between its manufacturing and until it arrived at your residence.

Assuming it's a matter of settings, then try and work out an arrangement with the store to have a technician come and see it. And if they don't have anyone, then see if you can get them to pay for an external service like Geek Squad -- their services are usually offered via merchants at the point of sale. Maybe they'll agree to pay for all of it or part of it -- but you absolutely need a diagnostic especially that you've just gotten the TV.

If you sit on it for too long, the easier it will be for the store to put the onus of the TV's operation, on you.

Hoping this helps. Good luck.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
@Runner77

The user above is almost certainly referring to Motion Interpolation which adds frames to the image making it look and feel different. They don't need to spend any money to disable that first. If they post their TV make and model I could direct them to the menu, it's likely under Picture Settings/Advanced though.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Kingpin is also the origin of Roy Munson!

Who knew! I was completely unaware of the movie or that it was the actual origin of "Roy Munson", adopted by our beloved forum shooper. And it was directly by the Farrelly brothers, to boot:

Kingpin is a 1996 American sports comedy film directed by Peter and Bobby Farrelly and written by Barry Fanaro and Mort Nathan. Starring Woody Harrelson, Randy Quaid, Vanessa Angel and Bill Murray, it tells the story of an alcoholic ex-professional bowler (Harrelson) who becomes the manager for a promising Amish talent (Quaid). It was filmed in and around Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania[5] (as a stand-in for Scranton), Amish country, and Reno, Nevada.

Is this movie any good?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
@Runner77

The user above is almost certainly referring to Motion Interpolation which adds frames to the image making it look and feel different. They don't need to spend any money to disable that first. If they post their TV make and model I could direct them to the menu, it's likely under Picture Settings/Advanced though.

Of course, he could always try to fix it on his own. However, since the set is brand new, he may also try to take advantage of any services the store may be providing free of charge and save himself time and unnecessary headaches. Usually, once a TV's settings have been properly configured, they don't need to be revisited. It could also be what you're suggesting -- assuming he's amenable to doing it himself. Since the set is brand new, I think I would rather first try to get the store involved but that's a personal choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad