Leon Draisaitl the most underrated player in the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
This is your response?

After reading this post it's clearly not me who doesn't understand advanced stats.
LOL learn math first then come back. If you need to be told how less minutes affects p/60 then I can't help you until you take a math class

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
LOL learn math first then come back. If you need to be told how less minutes affects p/60 then I can't help you until you take a math class
There aren't enough facepalms in the world for this post.

The fact you don't understand rates and what pts/60 means says everything.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
We are talking about scoring rate. His when he was away from McDavid was 2.01 pts/60 based on the number of points he earned (21) in 628:15 of 5-on-5 play (not even strength). Does this mean he would score at the same rate over the entire season? Who knows, but it is a better way of forecasting how a player would do than making baseless posts like you've been doing.
You can't call someone a #1 C when they spend the majority of their time with the team's best C. Malkin doesn't play on a line with Crosby, Tavares won't play on a line with Matthews. If Draisaitl is indeed a 1C, then he needs to show it by driving his own line. The stats show McDavid doesn't need LD to be successful, LD does however considering he spends more time with McDavid at ES comapared to his own line. 62.5% of his ES time is with McDavid, that's crazy to still call him a 1C

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
You can't call someone a #1 C when they spend the majority of their time with the team's best C. Malkin doesn't play on a line with Crosby, Tavares won't play on a line with Matthews. If Draisaitl is indeed a 1C, then he needs to show it by driving his own line. The stats show McDavid doesn't need LD to be successful, LD does however considering he spends more time with McDavid at ES comapared to his own line. 62.5% of his ES time is with McDavid, that's crazy to still call him a 1C
I never called him a #1C. Infact, in the Draisaitl thread on the poll board right now, I said he isn't a 1C though he has potential to grow into one.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
There aren't enough facepalms in the world for this post.

The fact you don't understand rates and what pts/60 means says everything.
29/600 vs 29/1000

...not that hard to understand why using P/60 for his time away from McDavid inflates his p/60. I can't believe I'm teaching you math now

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I never called him a #1C. Infact, in the Draisaitl thread on the poll board right now, I said he isn't a 1C though he has potential to grow into one.
I agree with that, he's an elite winger more than anything rn

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
He's not fairly rated because every single Draisaitl thread you go into there are multiple comments suggesting either of the following

a) He can't produce away from McDavid
b) He's not a center, he plays mostly RW on McDavid's line

Neither of which are true.

Even if they were true it seems people use this argument against Draisaitl but for some reason his most frequent comparables Pastrnak (playing on the best line in the league) and Nylander (playing with McDavid 2.0 in Toronto) do not get this treatment.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
29/600 vs 29/1000

...not that hard to understand why using P/60 for his time away from McDavid inflates his p/60. I can't believe I'm teaching you math now
Holy smokes. You don't even know what you are arguing at this point.

Draisaitl's p/60 WITH McDavid: 2.65
Draisaitl's p/60 WITHOUT McDavid: 2.01
Draisaitl's p/60 OVERALL: 2.29

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Holy smokes. You don't even know what you are arguing at this point.

Draisaitl's p/60 WITH McDavid: 2.65
Draisaitl's p/60 WITHOUT McDavid: 2.01
Draisaitl's p/60 OVERALL: 2.29
How is p/60 calculated...answer that, I honestly don't think you understand

p/60 takes TOI into account, using lower figures (600) will inflate his p/60.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
How is p/60 calculated...answer that, I honestly don't think you understand
:facepalm:

Points divided by time on ice, multiplied by 60

This is basic stuff.

When McDavid is off the ice Draisaitl scores at a rate of 2.01 points per 60 minutes.

21 / 628.25 = 0.03342618
0.03342618 x 60 = 2.01

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
:facepalm:

Points divided by time on ice, multiplied by 60

This is basic stuff.

You're using LD's time away from McDavid, meaning a lower TOI when you compare him to guys that have played 900+ minutes. That is going to inflate his p/60...jesus christ math class

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
You're using LD's time away from McDavid, meaning a lower TOI when you compare him to guys that have played 900+ minutes. That is going to inflate his p/60...jesus christ math class
LOL

It's an average based on 60 minutes of ice time. That's what the entire point of the stat is. TO FIND THE AVERAGE SCORING RATE OF A PLAYER.

I cannot believe you don't understand the point being made here.

I've already pointed out that it's a hypothetical argument based on his production staying the same in about ~45% more game time.

Your entire argument is "Draisaitl isn't that good because he relys on McDavid to put up points"
Counterpoint: in the time he spends away from McDavid he scores at a rate of 2.01 pts/60, comparable to several other players
You: LOL that's not fair he played less time than everyone else

1. There's nothing we can do about the size of the sample, because this is how he was used this past season. It's a lot better way to see how he does than what you've come up with, which is nothing other than saying he isn't good and ignoring the numbers available.

2. Every other player being compared isn't accused of only putting up points because of who they happen to play with. I've already shown that most, if not all, players in this league will see in a dip in production when they go from their best linemate to an inferior player.

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Or maybe he has a hot streak of 10 games away from mcdavid and it goes up? What you're saying is hypothetical.

I dont think you should be telling anyone to math class when he explained it for you pretty well.

Stop embarrassing yourself.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
LOL

It's an average based on 60 minutes of ice time. That's what the entire point of the stat is. TO FIND THE AVERAGE SCORING RATE OF A PLAYER.

I cannot believe you don't understand the point being made here.

I can't believe you don't understand that dividing a player's points by 600 is going to result in a higher p/60 than a player's points divided by 900+...

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Or maybe he has a hot streak of 10 games away from mcdavid and it goes up? What you're saying is hypothetical.

I dont think you should be telling anyone to math class when he explained it for you pretty well.

Stop embarrassing yourself.

P/60 is hypothetical to begin with.

and oh the irony.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
P/60 isn't hypothetical, it is an actual stat you can figure out by doing MATH, maybe if you did more MATH class you would understand that.

It's hypothetical in that you're extrapolating numbers that could actually not be reached.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad