Leon Draisaitl the most underrated player in the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
He drove his own line in the playoffs and dominated. Last season he produced at the same rate away from McDavid as good as/better than: Eichel, Marner, Perry, Tavares, Laine, E. Kane, Wheeler, Duchene, Backstrom, Voracek, Schenn, Radulov, Seguin, Carter, Johansen, Kadri, and Crosby.
That was 2 years ago...Matthews' didn't struggle in the playoffs 2 years ago but every forgets that and only brings up last year. Works both ways.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
he scored 2.01P/60 at 5 on 5 away from McDavid so I can use stats too
And? He was scored on far more than he scored when he was away from McDavid. Sure he gets his points but when he's on the ice without McDavid the Oilers give up more goals than they allow, that's what GF% attributes

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
If Drai is a 1C he should play next season on his own line for the majority and see how well he can do. His numbers are bumped up with McDavid. If you're a 1C then your line shouldn't be a net negative when away from your best player

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
That was 2 years ago...Matthews' didn't struggle in the playoffs 2 years ago but every forgets that and only brings up last year. Works both ways.
Draisaitl got his contract after his 77-point season and dominate playoffs. He was paid for what he had accomplished and the potential he has. He is still a very young player.

You are conveniently ignoring a long list of players I posted that he produced at similar rates to.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
And I'm sure you argued McDavid wasn't a 50 point player after his rookie season too, right?

It's a ridiculous position you're taking and you know it

No, I was honestly concerned that he might not pickup where he left off or his injury would lead to nagging or reoccurring issues in other areas as well, hampering his otherwise bright future. After a good season I was less worried about him and more so about the garbage surrounding him.

Matthews has had several injuries throughout his short NHL career as well as beforehand none of which seem to concern anyone from labeling him the savior and leader of the Leafs to "many cups".

Comparing Matthews injury history to McDavid is even more a ridiculous position, but I assume you know it too.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
If Drai is a 1C he should play next season on his own line for the majority and see how well he can do. His numbers are bumped up with McDavid. If you're a 1C then your line shouldn't be a net negative when away from your best player
Of course his numbers are bumped up when he plays with the best player in the world. What were you expecting?

Go look at the fall in production the three young Leaf players have when they are removed from their best linemate.

John Tavares just got $77M from the Leafs after having a GF% of 48.7 last season.

Star forwards who had a sub-50% GF% last season:

Logan Couture
John Tavares
Phil Kessel
Sidney Crosby
James Neal
Jack Eichel
Patrick Kane
Vincent Trocheck
Ryan O'Reilly

You're picking one stat and pretending Draisaitl is the only star player in the league who doesn't put up incredible numbers. I've given you two lists now with some pretty good comparables to him.

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
No, but he is underrated on HF forsure. Hes a high end 1st line winger or good 2c/capable 1c

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
He only produces like a top line superstar with McDavid.

In order to be considered a true Stanley Cup #1C he will need to spend an entire season away from McDavid and play at that level.
He would need to produce at a HIGHER level than that to even be considered a first line centre. 2.01 ES points per 60 equates to about 40 points over a season, with the 1200 minutes he played. For a centre that's about 40th in the league (40 points). It drops even lower when you look at points per 60.

That's not first line centre material. Not at all. On a good team, n9t riding shotgun to mcdavid, he's a second line centre at Best (and that's still a team not strong down the middle).

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
He would need to produce at a HIGHER level than that to even be considered a first line centre. 2.01 ES points per 60 equates to about 40 points over a season, with the 1200 minutes he played. For a centre that's about 40th in the league (40 points). It drops even lower when you look at points per 60.

That's not first line centre material. Not at all. On a good team, n9t riding shotgun to mcdavid, he's a second line centre at Best (and that's still a team not strong down the middle).

Matthews would produce like a 2nd/3rd line center on Edmonton as well with the depth/wingers they have.

Reactions: McFlash97

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Matthews would produce like a 2nd/3rd line center on Edmonton as well with the depth/wingers they have.
An elite centre would produce better than 40 points no matter who he's with.

You can argue he's a first line centre because you THINK he would score like one if he had better wingers. But he hasn't shown he can, all he's shown is he's a second line centre without mcdavid. Get back to me when he does it.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016

You can argue he's a first line centre because you THINK he would score like one if he had better wingers. But he hasn't shown he can, all he's shown is he's a second line centre without mcdavid. Get back to me when he does it.

So you don't think Matthews career highs of ~60 points in Toronto wouldn't drop in Edmonton playing with Draisaitls wingers? Interesting.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
What a ridiculous post.

Injuries aren't a thing I guess. Matthews was going to blow past 70 last year. Eichel would have likely past 70 both of the last 2 years. Marner this year has 69. Matthews rookie season 69.

That's highly likely 5 seasons 69+ amongst the 7

Also, tell me, which one of those 3 plays over half their season on a line with the best player in the world?
I don’t disagree with you but it’s ironic that Oiler posters were “advised” they couldn’t use such arguments with RNH.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

Good thing he hasn’t produced 40 points on a second line yet.

Even though you’re acting like he has....and yet we’re supposed to get back to you when he ecplises some marker you set?

Okay then.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
He drove his own line in the playoffs and dominated. Last season he produced at the same rate away from McDavid as good as/better than: Eichel, Marner, Perry, Tavares, Laine, E. Kane, Wheeler, Duchene, Backstrom, Voracek, Schenn, Radulov, Seguin, Carter, Johansen, Kadri, and Crosby.
LOL he played 628 minutes ES without McDavid...do you even know how P60 is calculated? Of course his numbers are going to look good compared to those guys, they all have 900+ minutes played. Learn math before you use advanced stats.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
LOL he played 628 minutes ES without McDavid...do you even know how P60 is calculated? Of course his numbers are going to look good compared to those guys, they all have 900+ minutes played. Learn math before you use advanced stats.
This is your response?

After reading this post it's clearly not me who doesn't understand advanced stats.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

Hilarious. Matthews was 20th in the league in scoring as a rookie, playing with Hyman and Brown for ~45% of the time. He actually scored more with Brown than he did with Nylander. 3rd line centre lol, you're a character.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

The 2.01 number is his pts/60 just at 5-on-5. That means over a full season he would score 39 or 40 points when both teams are at full strength. This doesn't account for points at other even strength situations (4-on-4 and 3-on-3).

Players who scored between 35 and 42 points at 5-on-5 last season: Wheeler, Kessel, Tarasenko, Radulov, Huberdeau, Rantanen, Voracek, Tavares, Duchene, Schenn, Monahan, Ehlers, Connor, Backstrom, Marner, Keller, Pavelski, Crosby, E. Kane, Laine

Edit: removed Getzlaf, Forsberg, and Stone because they all missed signifcant time due to injury.

Last edited:

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
We are talking about scoring rate. His when he was away from McDavid was 2.01 pts/60 based on the number of points he earned (21) in 628:15 of 5-on-5 play (not even strength). Does this mean he would score at the same rate over the entire season? Who knows, but it is a better way of forecasting how a player would do than making baseless posts like you've been doing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->