OT: THE OT Thread: Grass mowing szn is here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Today was rough, heat index over 115F and no swimming allowed with my open wound.

Girls got their scooters yesterday, Red and a Black Honda Click. Caretaker 1 picked out a panda helmet with ears, 2 got the mirrored racing one. Heading back tomorrow to buy a scooter for myself.

Having moved into the house, went and purchased a deep fryer and a wine cooler as I'm having an outdoor kitchen installed. Bit over 1K for L shaped two tier, with a standalone double cabinet with back lit mirror and glass rack.

Going green and giving China my money. Having solar panels installed with battery system for a bit over 4k after conversion rate. Basically getting same system as one of my neighbors, he cut his electric from 1000 in summer to nothing. He also has a generator for emergencies but I don't know if that's really needed

Having a full time maid moving in later this week, she's the 18yo niece of one of my mamasans. Farm girl and oyster shucker that makes on average 150 baht a day, so 400 baht ($11) plus room and board with aircon will be a luxury

Now just holding out until 3rd week of May for house warming party during Buddha festival so no bars open. So figure bunch of girls, some expat friends for a bbq and party

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Today was rough, heat index over 115F and no swimming allowed with my open wound.

Girls got their scooters yesterday, Red and a Black Honda Click. Caretaker 1 picked out a panda helmet with ears, 2 got the mirrored racing one. Heading back tomorrow to buy a scooter for myself.

Having moved into the house, went and purchased a deep fryer and a wine cooler as I'm having an outdoor kitchen installed. Bit over 1K for L shaped two tier, with a standalone double cabinet with back lit mirror and glass rack.

Going green and giving China my money. Having solar panels installed with battery system for a bit over 4k after conversion rate. Basically getting same system as one of my neighbors, he cut his electric from 1000 in summer to nothing. He also has a generator for emergencies but I don't know if that's really needed

Having a full time maid moving in later this week, she's the 18yo niece of one of my mamasans. Farm girl and oyster shucker that makes on average 150 baht a day, so 400 baht ($11) plus room and board with aircon will be a luxury

Now just holding out until 3rd week of May for house warming party during Buddha festival so no bars open. So figure bunch of girls, some expat friends for a bbq and party

When does the autobiography come out?

Reactions: sabremike

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
The more people I talk to, the more often I hear it's time for me to leave my job.

Wife: I hate that place and have wanted you to quit for years

Former coworker: that place eats people who care whole. it's time. no matter how hard you try, others will create barriers to success or even change

Current coworker in a different department: You owe nothing. The system is imploding already, have you seen how many jobs are posted?

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
I went to Mityon to look at the 155cc as the 125cc that I bought the girls are too small. Well, it didn't go as planned since I sat my fat ass on a 300cc and much more comfortable. I checked out the Suzuki, KTM, Honda and Yamaha before settling on a bright yellow XMax. Unlike the others, I can fit 2 helmets under the seat, and the only one that also has a lock box, plus onboard GPS with 12" screen. The Suzuki was longer and would be a bit more comfortable but it was also over 1k more, and for 20 to 30min rides I don't need that extra comfort. The sale came with 2yrs insurance, 2 free helmets none of which fit in the style I like. Caretaker 1 expressed quite adamantly in a video call with Caretaker 2 that one of the helmets has to be the floppy earred Pikachu so if you ever see a YouTube video of a tiny Thai on the back of a scooter wearing a goofy helmet, it could be us.

It's paid in full and now I need to wait on the paperwork, so with the 1st being a holiday probably won't get it until the 2nd or 3rd. Gives me time to go find a big sized open face helmet. It's way too hot for the fully enclosed sci-fi looking ones

Reactions: yahhockey

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I went to Mityon to look at the 155cc as the 125cc that I bought the girls are too small. Well, it didn't go as planned since I sat my fat ass on a 300cc and much more comfortable. I checked out the Suzuki, KTM, Honda and Yamaha before settling on a bright yellow XMax. Unlike the others, I can fit 2 helmets under the seat, and the only one that also has a lock box, plus onboard GPS with 12" screen. The Suzuki was longer and would be a bit more comfortable but it was also over 1k more, and for 20 to 30min rides I don't need that extra comfort. The sale came with 2yrs insurance, 2 free helmets none of which fit in the style I like. Caretaker 1 expressed quite adamantly in a video call with Caretaker 2 that one of the helmets has to be the floppy earred Pikachu so if you ever see a YouTube video of a tiny Thai on the back of a scooter wearing a goofy helmet, it could be us.

It's paid in full and now I need to wait on the paperwork, so with the 1st being a holiday probably won't get it until the 2nd or 3rd. Gives me time to go find a big sized open face helmet. It's way too hot for the fully enclosed sci-fi looking ones
How long until you're leading your own Thai motorcycle gang.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

All this scooter talk reminded me of this:

1714408633430.png

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
^^ @Chainshot a modern day Quadrophenia plot.

Sigh. Had to rush to get my PA taxes out in the mail because Turbo Tax is carrying over an empty form from 3 years ago when I was a contractor. I checked the website and all the post offices had stopped postmarking mail at 4:30 and my wife needed to sign the tax form. She called me a goody two shoes for making her meet me on the way to the post office rather than just forging her signature and sending it. Anyways, it got post marked at 4:28 only after I was told that the stamps I have had at my desk for 7 years can't send a 1st class envelope anymore.
I used to forge my first wife's signature all the time on the taxes (with her consent). I was good at copying it. Current wife I can't do as her signature is too stylized and fluorished.
Spending the kids inheritance because they're pissing me off. Signed a contract for a 5bdr/7ba 6500sf pool villa with a 5m by 8m pool. Now I'm waiting for next week to pick up my Toyota Hilux off road edition with the hydraulic bed cover, that was the princely sum of a bit under 34k for a brand new full size pickup. I also have 2 125cc Honda Clicks coming for the girls as they'll need them to get back and forth to the hospital. Those were relatively cheap at about 2800 for the pair.

The Songkran Thai New Year festivities are prolonging the process as banks and government offices have weird hours so it's sign everything and wait. One good thing is that dollar jumped up against the baht so getting more for my money
Plenty of room, even with the maids and nurse, for a couple of us world ambassadors to rotate through and help with maintenance and upkeep in return for you helping us spread peace, love, and understanding to your adopted country.
Gee, it cost me $2,700 to get a new water heater installed. :thumbd:
Good lord, how long did the job take?
Decisions now. My daughter went to Liberty University camp and got offered a spot on their girl's team.
Beautiful valley / countryside in Lynchburg, VA.
I'm so discouraged, disheartened, and depressed about the work situation. Didn't eat for over 25 hours. Barely had any water. Mouth tastes like ashes.

That said, I just laughed for the first time in over a day. Our dog is extraordinarily smart and has an enormous vocabulary. Well, his red rocket was sticking out a few minutes ago as he was sitting on our bed. I said, "gross! Indy, put that away!" And he immediately licked himself there and made it disappear.
Who among us hasn't?

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
All this scooter talk reminded me of this:

View attachment 861767
The mods are popular here with Vespa, Lambretta, Peugeot, and even Yamaha with their Fazzio line. I thought the girls would have gone that route but they chose the most popular.

I had to get them transport for their real job at the hospital as it's no longer in walking distance. Being opposite shifts they technically could have shared but that would have been a pain. As for myself, I quickly came to the realisation I needed one when I was informed that I would have to walk to meet any taxis and it's not the closest to the subdivision entrance. Besides ain't nowhere to park the truck close to the restaurants I like to go to as everything is congested and restricted to bike parking

Reactions: Chainshot

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
The mods are popular here with Vespa, Lambretta, Peugeot, and even Yamaha with their Fazzio line. I thought the girls would have gone that route but they chose the most popular.

I had to get them transport for their real job at the hospital as it's no longer in walking distance. Being opposite shifts they technically could have shared but that would have been a pain. As for myself, I quickly came to the realisation I needed one when I was informed that I would have to walk to meet any taxis and it's not the closest to the subdivision entrance. Besides ain't nowhere to park the truck close to the restaurants I like to go to as everything is congested and restricted to bike parking
I'm a firm believer that every household which can afford it (and has the space) should have 1 more vehicle / mode of on-demand transport than there are drivers. Keeps breakdowns, maintenance, etc. as inconveniences instead of crises. E-bikes have really flourished where I live (I hesitated to use the word "exploded" given the connotation). Local Ace hardware has several models - big box stores are starting to carry 4WD knock-off Gators, golf carts, etc. Plus, where you are, the Hondas could be sold in ~72 hours should you truly need to on short notice. No risk.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm a firm believer that every household which can afford it (and has the space) should have 1 more vehicle / mode of on-demand transport than there are drivers. Keeps breakdowns, maintenance, etc. as inconveniences instead of crises. E-bikes have really flourished where I live (I hesitated to use the word "exploded" given the connotation). Local Ace hardware has several models - big box stores are starting to carry 4WD knock-off Gators, golf carts, etc. Plus, where you are, the Hondas could be sold in ~72 hours should you truly need to on short notice. No risk.

Yeah, my parents always had a spare when I was growing up. At times it was just a used truck that they had for firewood or hay hauling purposes but it was something that can be used to go from place to place in an emergency.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
The Hondas keep their value. I looked at 2 and 3yo bikes but they were only a few hundred dollars less than the new. With the new, all I need to do is go to the dealer every year and they do the registration vice dealing with the Land Transport Office. Not to mention 2yrs insurance and free helmet so price was basically the same.

I know several people with the Ebikes, their issues are lack of charging options so most bring along a 2nd battery. I guess people look at you funny when you want to run an extension cord into their business. I let people that know charge their bikes at my corner bar, since you can literally park against the wall and stick your cord under the railing to a plug without bothering anyone.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I'm so discouraged, disheartened, and depressed about the work situation. Didn't eat for over 25 hours. Barely had any water. Mouth tastes like ashes.

That said, I just laughed for the first time in over a day. Our dog is extraordinarily smart and has an enormous vocabulary. Well, his red rocket was sticking out a few minutes ago as he was sitting on our bed. I said, "gross! Indy, put that away!" And he immediately licked himself there and made it disappear.
Red rocket! Red rocket! Red rocket!

Insane I was watching stuff like that when I was 10 or 11 years old.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TheMistyStranger

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

I had an e-bike I bought last year, which sucked to haul up and down the stairs (it was 90 pounds), but the computer on it shit the bed so I returned it as it was still under warranty. I got a new one from a completely different company and I hate it.

I can still use it in all weather, but it really sucks dropping from 52 km/h to 32 km/h.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I've been sick for a bit over a week - test negative twice for the 'Vid so it's not that. But man, whatever this crud is has knocked me for a loop.

• Wow
Reactions: oldgoalie

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
check for strep? laid us both low for the better part of two weeks.

I'll keep that in mind. R has been felled by it too, but she's powering through it even though she has both A) accrued time off and B) a reason to use it. But her last sub was absolutely unable to handle her classroom, basically tried bribing the kids into good behavior instead of rewarding them for it (and being punitive for the bad behavior) so her prize tote was decimated and her room was trashed. So instead, she's medicating and toughing it out. I admit, she's way tougher than I am. :laugh:

• Wow

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I've realized in a few years this thread will just be us comparing models of walkers and jazzy scooters and what the swinger life is like in different retirement communities

We're all old AF.

• Haha

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I've realized in a few years this thread will just be us comparing models of walkers and jazzy scooters and what the swinger life is like in different retirement communities

We're all old AF.

Hey, our generation is playing D&D instead of Bingo in those retirement communities, and I'm here for it

Reactions: Ehran

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
There's quite a few Sugar Cane Mafia guys in their late 70s that are out and about 3 or 4x a week. One is a real character, he's a dual citizen Am-Can living off state pensions, has a GoGo girl stopping by weekly. He makes his rounds to the Gents clubs and fishbowl massage parlors on an e-bike which breaks down about every other week. At home he's a chain smoking, rassling watching, failing amateur Baker, and self-professed connoisseur of steak and steak based sandwiches.

You talk to him and he'll tell you that his $1800 a month budget let's him lead the kind of life here that is impossible in the West. He says he'd been toes up a long time ago if all he had to look forward to was life in a 'retirement' community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad