Leon Draisaitl the most underrated player in the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Obviously the contract is a major steal and only going to look better and better. The Oilers bet on him improving and were willing to give him a max term contract for it. One of Chia's rare good moves.
It was his lone good contract signing.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
Any one who thinks he is just a product of McD need to watch how he deked Trouba in the ice to get on a clean break from his own end to seal the game today

He is an elite player full stop!

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
He just ruined his opportunity for a back-to-back 50 goal seasons without an empty net goal.

now there is another reason to downplay his accomplishments... empty net goals.

Reactions: iCanada

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Without Connor, I think Draisaitl is a 40-40 point per game player. Which is still great, but we shouldn't pretend that just because he hit 50 it means that McDavid has no impact on his totals.

Who the f*** cares. Every player in the history of the NHL has had their numbers affected by their teammates. Were people mentioning how Ovie wouldn’t be a 50’goal scorer without Backstrom?

This whole Drai gets help from McDavid so let’s discount his accomplishments is one of the stupidest arguments in hockey.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Who the **** cares. Every player in the history of the NHL has had their numbers affected by their teammates. Were people mentioning how Ovie wouldn’t be a 50’goal scorer without Backstrom?

This whole Drai gets help from McDavid so let’s discount his accomplishments is one of the stupidest arguments in hockey.

Any educated hockey fan who actually watches Draisaitl play can not deny his elite skillset. It’s so plainly obvious.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Draisaitl plays winger far more than he does center so that argument isn’t really applicable. I think it’s clear he was overpaid and that was the consensus at the time. Imagine Drai producing at this rate at $7M -$7.5M where he should have been signed at. Regardless, he’s killing it and oilers playing well so I’m happy.

Ooof. It was an 8 year contract which takes into account cap inflation over 8 years and also his future potential.

So now he wasn’t overpaid at the time, and now he’s grossly underpaid comparing to other lesser RFAs in this league.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He honestly might be the second best player in the league, behind McDavid.

I think he’s been the best player in the NHL this year (still early I know) which is crazy when he’s on a team with McDavid.

I’d actually consider Drai more of the centre on that line anyways. He’s been nothing but phenomenal.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Through the first 5 games, I can seriously say that McDavid has only been good because he gets to play with Leon Draisaitl.

If there's any argument of team-mate inflated totals this year, it would be that McDavid's totals have been inflated by Draisaitl. Draisaitl has been beasting and McDavid still looks a bit rusty from having an offseason of recovery instead of training.

Reactions: iCanada

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I think he’s been the best player in the NHL this year (still early I know) which is crazy when he’s on a team with McDavid.

I’d actually consider Drai more of the centre on that line anyways. He’s been nothing but phenomenal.
I said in game 1 this year that Draisaitl looked like a peak Anze Kopitar at centre (wasn't even playing with McDavid)

Also great to see Zack Kassian find a place on that line, always loved that guy in Vancouver.

PenDuhNotPittsburgh

May 13, 2017
Krefeld
He just ruined his opportunity for a back-to-back 50 goal seasons without an empty net goal.

now there is another reason to downplay his accomplishments... empty net goals.

to score empty netters you have to be on the ice in critical moments, same as with shorthanders^^
people can turn everything to have it fit their narratives

Last edited:
Reactions: zar

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Who the **** cares. Every player in the history of the NHL has had their numbers affected by their teammates. Were people mentioning how Ovie wouldn’t be a 50’goal scorer without Backstrom?

Especially considering how many of the plays start with his stick.
Or, finish with his shot.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
You know what might even be more impressive than his scoring? Draisaitl is Tippett's go to guy when the Oilers are down 2 men killing a 5-3 penalty

Reactions: PenDuhNotPittsburgh

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
You know what might even be more impressive than his scoring? Draisaitl is Tippett's go to guy when the Oilers are down 2 men killing a 5-3 penalty

Yeah. If he can learn that we may have someone who gets thrown around for Selke nomination talk.

I'm not gonna be the one to do it. But if Leon kills penalties well and scores another 40+?
That's a conversation to have after 40 games.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Through 5 games Draisaitl has been better than Connor McDavid and there's literally no argument that he hasn't. McDavid will change that, but Draisaitl has been absolutely dominant.

Reactions: snipes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad