Leon Draisaitl the most underrated player in the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He's a beast and utterly dominant on the ice. All at $8.5m too... steal of a contract. I'd pay him $10.9m in a heartbeat but thankfully we don't have to worry about getting fleeced there.

He doesn't get enough credit for being just as good as McDavid some nights and even better on some. His playmaking is ridiculous; some of the passes he makes and his vision is so ****ing good.
He doesn't get enough credit for his shot either. He's got a wicked release, a great wrister, and great one-timer. He's had at least 3 or 4 posts to go with his 4 goals to start this season and a beautiful shootout winner post and in. If anyone can name a weakness in his game I'd love to hear it.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Not even the best player on his own team

Except so far early in the season hes been the best player on his own team.

Also you are no longer considered underrated if you score 50 goals and get 100 points. If a player is still underrated then there is something wrong with the fans doing the rankings.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
This hot start coupled with his performance last year will lead to the pendulum shifting towards him being appropriately rated and then overrated. It's how things go. Usually HF is a bit ahead of the general fan consensus.

Reactions: B33K33PING

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
He doesn't get enough credit for his shot either. He's got a wicked release, a great wrister, and great one-timer. He's had at least 3 or 4 posts to go with his 4 goals to start this season and a beautiful shootout winner post and in. If anyone can name a weakness in his game I'd love to hear it.
And as world class as his shot is, it seems to get more lethal with each passing off season. Another 50 goal year seems almost inevitable, maybe even an Art Ross if these first 5 games are any indication.

Criminally slept on and torn down on these boards by posters who refuse to watch him and/or give him the credit he deserves.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
And as world class as his shot is, it seems to get more lethal with each passing off season. Another 50 goal year seems almost inevitable, maybe even an Art Ross if these first 5 games are any indication.

Criminally slept on and torn down on these boards by posters who refuse to watch him and/or give him the credit he deserves.
I think 40 is all but a guarantee for Draisaitl at this point. He's hit at least 3 posts already this season where he's cleanly beat goalies from the slot to go along with his 4 goals.

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
Leon is underrated. Most people realize that McDavid is the best player in the NHL. Few people realize that Draisaitl is the second best player in the NHL. Barring injuries, I expect them to finish 1-2 in the scoring race.

Reactions: BertMcDrai

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
The funny part of last year I have to wonder if people are just staring at some stats or actually watch him play the guys been a beast for a while now the ignorant continue to dismiss him.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He's elite, end of f***ing story.
All you have to do is watch him play to know this.
Oh and he's an excellent penalty killer as well which I bet most people didn't know. An advantage he has over a good chunk of top offensive forwards including McDavid.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Kopitar won two Selkes while being 13th and 7th in league scoring. I obviously think Draisaitl is awesome but he's got to round out his game a little more before I say he's better than Kopitar has been at his best. Who knows, though. Maybe this is the season he adds another element to his game.
Draisaitl scored 105 points last season and scored 50 goals also. And he looks even better this season.

I wouldn't blindly value popularity-based, substanceless awards very highly.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
I think 40 is all but a guarantee for Draisaitl at this point. He's hit at least 3 posts already this season where he's cleanly beat goalies from the slot to go along with his 4 goals.

If he plays with McDavid most of the year, it is. If not, I could see him struggle to hit 40 because he is still fundamentally a pass first player (he'd still hit mid 30s, though, no matter what considering the goal scorer he has become). Luckily for the Oilers right now, the acquisitions of Sheahan and Neal make a McDavid/Draisaitl pairing a lot easier for the rest of the lineup to bear.

Last edited:

markusschoen76

Death by a thousand cuts
Aug 4, 2017
Germany
Leon is underrated. Most people realize that McDavid is the best player in the NHL. Few people realize that Draisaitl is the second best player in the NHL. Barring injuries, I expect them to finish 1-2 in the scoring race.

2019-10-13-06-43-40.jpg

bronco73

The-omb Oilers Forum
Apr 10, 2012
Lethbridge, Alberta

Which is a good thing if you are an Oilers fan. Let the fans and league keep overlooking him and the team, it gives them an advantage.

bronco73

The-omb Oilers Forum
Apr 10, 2012
Lethbridge, Alberta

Love the guy and the Oilers are my team... but I still say Sid is the best player in the NHL. McDavid is the best on the rush, but for all facets of the game Crosby gets the nod IMO.

PenDuhNotPittsburgh

May 13, 2017
Krefeld
The funny part of last year I have to wonder if people are just staring at some stats or actually watch him play the guys been a beast for a while now the ignorant continue to dismiss him.

Just looking at stats would be enougth if people can read them.
7 of Connor's 12 points were on the PP
Only 2 of Drai's 11 points were on the PP
So if Connor produced mostly on the PP while Drai produced mostly out of it, how can he be a product of McDavid then?
The stats say that most their points were independent of each other. People have no brains xD

I actually expect him to get even better then last year. As Connor so far isn't yet on that level in even strength, once he gets there it will further help Drai. Nurse and Klefbom seem to work better now too. Neal is gonna score a goal or two in the season. Simple calculations. A better team with more potential goal scorers has more options for the two core players to receive a pass or deliver it too.

KK91

Jan 7, 2009
I’d like to challenge the status quo and say at this very moment I believe Drai is better than McDavid. I have watched a couple games now in depth and he is a more effective player. His skill set undeniable and he is big as they come. You are just not moving that guy in the corners.

i truly believe if he had his own team he would be in the conversation for best player in the league!

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
He's been a beast on the PK so far this season as well. Also helps that McDavid has made a huge improvement in the FO circle so it allows some more flexibility setting up plays off the draw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad