Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl - 2019 All-Star

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Thinking of how lucky we are in
Edmonton to have both Leon and Connor on this team - with great contracts to boot!
Friedman described it this way: "Drai is the best player in the NHL (thus world) and Connor is the most exciting player in the NHL (world)".....Yup, that works for me.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Haha, what if this is a slow start? God help the rest of the league....

iirc played pretty ok that one time he was in the SCP.
Hard to imagine the now 24 year old Drai growing the beard and entering SCP beast modus. I just think of this, only with more points and more winning.

2lKF_412akq_l.jpg

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Joe Thornton was a hart winning, art ross winning player. Draisaitl isn't going to be that. Even if he reaches his top potential.

I couldn't resist quoting a 5 year old post. Go check out that thread for the lols. It shows how little we can predict, and how people should relax when GMs go off the board. (Broberg?)

Also, Draisaitl is a monster. He's surpassed the expectations of even his top supporters on HF during draft time.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Bumping this after a very strong game from Leon.

So since he’s now at 85 points (on pace for 127) and 4 points ahead of his nearest competitor (obviously McDavid). If Drai is able to win the Art Ross and the Oilers make the playoffs, does he have a chance to win the Hart?

Personally, I think he should, but there’s a pervasive perception around the league that he’s still a product of McDavid and plays second fiddle to him on the team. I can easily see a guy like Wyshynski or some Toronto homer not voting for him simply because of this.

Reactions: Mc5RingsAndABeer

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
I can see Eastern media voting for McDavid over Draisaitl and the votes getting split. MacKinnon or Matthews or some shit might win. I doubt people will want to put Oilers in the 1 and 2 spots on their ballot.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

So since he’s now at 85 points (on pace for 127) and 4 points ahead of his nearest competitor (obviously McDavid). If Drai is able to win the Art Ross and the Oilers make the playoffs, does he have a chance to win the Hart?

Personally, I think he should, but there’s a pervasive perception around the league that he’s still a product of McDavid and plays second fiddle to him on the team. I can easily see a guy like Wyshynski or some Toronto homer not voting for him simply because of this.

The media will spin it whatever way they want. I've literally heard them base winning off vastly different/opposite criteria from year to year.

In my opinion, the most valuable player award, which I've heard most often described as the player most valuable to their team and has the more points, should not go to McDavid or Draisaitl. Because they are both extremely valuable and it's hard to say which is more valuable while McKinnon at the moment is clearly the best on his team and right up there with those two.

McDavid and Draisaitl should not win this year, McDavid could/should have won it the year Hall did. I see that Hall was probably more valuable to his team but to be 15 points behind the leader McDavid that's a bit too much. The "they made the playoffs" bs was just an excuse.

Being technical with the definition a goalie should win it almost every year.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
The media will spin it whatever way they want. I've literally heard them base winning off vastly different/opposite criteria from year to year.

In my opinion, the most valuable player award, which I've heard most often described as the player most valuable to their team and has the more points, should not go to McDavid or Draisaitl. Because they are both extremely valuable and it's hard to say which is more valuable while McKinnon at the moment is clearly the best on his team and right up there with those two.

McDavid and Draisaitl should not win this year, McDavid could/should have won it the year Hall did. I see that Hall was probably more valuable to his team but to be 15 points behind the leader McDavid that's a bit too much. The "they made the playoffs" bs was just an excuse.

If McDavid went down this team would crumble into the Stone Age. He is absolutely the “most valuable player” to his team.

Reactions: Peanut Butter

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I couldn't resist quoting a 5 year old post. Go check out that thread for the lols. It shows how little we can predict, and how people should relax when GMs go off the board. (Broberg?)

Also, Draisaitl is a monster. He's surpassed the expectations of even his top supporters on HF during draft time.

I think for Leon to win the trio of awards he would have to go on a monster run. Drag/Push the Oilers into the playoffs/top of Division. Outscore McDavid by at least 8. Score 50 + goals. Get over 130 points. Be a beast in the playoffs again.

It's not fair but Draisaitl will always need to push a bit harder and do a bit better than the typical "best of the best".

Heck, Eastern media is probably still upset that Draisaitl has outplayed Sam Gilmour Bennet or still thinks he is a product of McDavid.

The funny thing is. In terms of two way play both Draisaitl and McDavid are extremely inconsistent. At times amazing, at worst a disaster, most times less than ideal. Those two can still rack up points and play stellar 2 way hockey. I've seen them do it for good stretches. They take that next step and they break the league.

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018
Dr Drai is a beast. When he keeps his feet moving, he's so hard to knock off the puck.
And that back hand sauce **drool

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Huge first game without Connor in the lineup. If he keeps us in the playoff hunt while Connor is out and wins the Art Ross, I don't see how he isn't this year's Hart winner.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
In other news:

Eastern media ******** is sarcastic about a legitimate hart contender from a team he hates.

Huge first game without Connor in the lineup. If he keeps us in the playoff hunt while Connor is out and wins the Art Ross, I don't see how he isn't this year's Hart winner.

Eastern Media.

Listen to some of these jokers. They fundamentally believe Draisaitl is not a top ten player let alone THE best.

To start hockey central today they briefly mention that starting today they might have to start considering Draisaitl for the Hart. No one says a thing pro or con on the panel and they move on to ramble on and on about the Leafs.

Just clueless.

ChokeOnOil

Lambs to Lions
Feb 11, 2007
Edmonton
Eastern Media.

Listen to some of these jokers. They fundamentally believe Draisaitl is not a top ten player let alone THE best.

To start hockey central today they briefly mention that starting today they might have to start considering Draisaitl for the Hart. No one says a thing pro or con on the panel and they move on to ramble on and on about the Leafs.

Just clueless.

are you guys positive he’s being sarcastic? Lol

Reactions: Aerchon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad