Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl - 2019 All-Star

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
... McDavid is though a western conf player as well....

Draisaitl has one competitor. And that is Pasternak.
I think that the voters has seen Draisaitls success in McDavid abscence.
And McDavid has had some less good stretches.

I actually think that Draisaitl wins the Hart.
Otherwise it will be Pasternak, esp if he scores 60 goals.
I think that once a WC player breaks through with a major trophy (e.g. Stanley cup, Hart, etc..) then that's how they tend to be remembered by the Eastern media. It's kind of like the same offensive linemen making the Pro Bowl year after year, regardless of what their actual performance is like. We saw this happen with Toews/Kane/Keith and Kopitar/Doughty.

They'll keep clinging to the belief that Draisaitl is a product of McDavid even though we have a large enough bank of evidence to say that's clearly not the case.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Atleast we can say we had the only 100 pt scorer this season, 110 at that
Dude, I've been a fan since the 90s, and I'm used to never seeing an Oiler in the top 10 of scoring, and dreaming of seeing an Oiler score 40 goals, dazzled by Ryan Smyth getting to 36 lol

My most recent post on Drai was complaining about his long shifts but I still realize how blessed we are to have him and McDavid

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Dude, I've been a fan since the 90s, and I'm used to never seeing an Oiler in the top 10 of scoring, and dreaming of seeing an Oiler score 40 goals, dazzled by Ryan Smyth getting to 36 lol

My most recent post on Drai was complaining about his long shifts but I still realize how blessed we are to have him and McDavid
Never change Drai. Never change...

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Part of me wonders if the season is shortened or cut off entirely, if they still have the awards, with the PHWA use it as an excuse to give Matthews a Hart because "it doesn't matter anyways" or some other garbage they come up with.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting

A good reflection and what I was saying in the LAST PGT. To choose being greatful for the gifts that great works of art give us or resemble becoming ingrates.

People get to choose. I don't critique a McD, a Drai anymore than I would a Hemingway or a Van Gogh. Would people really read Hemingway and say that "this is junk"
"were you high" "are you braindead" "lasy ass Hemingway, use some more descriptive adjectives"

;)

Do people get it now? Just appreciate great gifts in all their glory. Critiquing it is pissing on the best gifts of art that is bestowed.

Oh and George Harrison. "While my guitar gently weeps"? Pretentious self absorbed drivel. ;) (jk)

But all those years ago when we were fab (another Beatles citation) some people ripped on Wayne Gretzky any less than great game he played. Those sentiments have always existed but here was the greatest player alive, that has ever existed and Oilers fans were ripping him new holes at specious moments. Those are decidedly not good looks.

Reactions: barry halls

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Part of me wonders if the season is shortened or cut off entirely, if they still have the awards, with the PHWA use it as an excuse to give Matthews a Hart because "it doesn't matter anyways" or some other garbage they come up with.

a season still happened, just not a playoffs. No award for Conn Smythe and Stanley cup, but every other trophy should be awarded

Austerlitz

Jun 26, 2018
A good reflection and what I was saying in the LAST PGT. To choose being greatful for the gifts that great works of art give us or resemble becoming ingrates.

People get to choose. I don't critique a McD, a Drai anymore than I would a Hemingway or a Van Gogh. Would people really read Hemingway and say that "this is junk"
"were you high" "are you braindead" "lasy ass Hemingway, use some more descriptive adjectives"

;)

Do people get it now? Just appreciate great gifts in all their glory. Critiquing it is pissing on the best gifts of art that is bestowed.

Oh and George Harrison. "While my guitar gently weeps"? Pretentious self absorbed drivel. ;) (jk)

But all those years ago when we were fab (another Beatles citation) some people ripped on Wayne Gretzky any less than great game he played. Those sentiments have always existed but here was the greatest player alive, that has ever existed and Oilers fans were ripping him new holes at specious moments. Those are decidedly not good looks.

Great post.

I do feel (JMO) that a lot of Oiler fans are missing out on REALLY enjoying this the way we should. Its not the fans fault. Fourteen years of absolute garbage + being told constantly by Toronto that McDavid wants out will do that to you. And I dont think social media helps either.

But yeah. We have the two best players in the game. Two absolute future Hall-of-Famers artists-with-the-puck. They play for the Oilers. Sometimes you gotta just take a deep breath and enjoy that. For a fan (like me) who grew up in the era of, 'well, I guess Mike Comrie can play first line' or, 'we can't even afford Todd Marchant now?', this is still surreal. Sometimes before a game, I like to look at the two teams' leading scorers. There's Eric Staal or whoever with 60 points... and there's Drai and McD with 30+ goals and 90+ points. For 30 years, we've been on the other side of that equation. Like I said, surreal.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Which players have there been in the past in the NHL that are both elite playmakers and elite goalscorers? I struggle to think of anyone in the last decade who was as good at both aspects as Draisaitl is. I mean the guy was on pace for hitting back-to-back 50 goal and 50+ assist campaigns. He'll probably be a 40 goal scorer most seasons while hitting 50+ assists, that's pretty darn rare.

So who else has been up there in NHL history? Malkin maybe? Sakic? Jagr? I didn't really start following NHL closely until ~2008-ish so it's tough to come up with names who compare.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
It's incredible to me how someone like Wyshinski can discredit Leon for having McDavid right behind him in points when Kucherov won the Hart last year, and he likely voted for him as well. Draisaitl and Kucherov's seasons have been nearly identical. Kucherov played on a historically good team with a MUCH better supporting cast around him. The Oilers would not be in the playoffs without Draisaitl. Would Tampa have made the playoffs without Kucherov? Stamkos, Point, Hedman, Vasilevskiy gets them in no doubt.

Just more Eastern media garbage. Wyshinski has lost credibility for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->