Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl - 2019 All-Star

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Seems to me that he came in ready to rumble this season in the event that Connor was not able to be Superman from the word go. IMO Connor does not look 100% yet but Leon is up to the task.

Reactions: The Oiler and ujju2

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Oilers' Leon Draisaitl modeling game after two-way star Pavel Datsyuk - Sportsnet.ca

Some comments from Drai saying he's been working on his two-way game, modelling his game after Datsyuk and really wanting to start the season strong and where he left off last year instead of starting slow like he usually does.

I always see Kopitar as the best comparable for Draisaitl. Datsyuk is all edgework and evasion.

However whatever he is doing is working. Datsyuk and Kopitar are two of my all time favorites and anything he can take from those 2 is great.

Draisaitl has never looked better. Last year he and Conner were not playing two way hockey. This year Conner still is not and Draisaitl is. I noticed, two years ago, that when Conner played good two way hockey his ppg actually increased.

With Conners injury and tendency to cheat for offense. Draisaitl might well be the better player AND get more point than McDavid. Long shot I know but with the way he is playing I'm not going to say it isn't possible.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
Drais positioning has improved quite a bit. Way less out of position, much more engaged defensively and looks determined to get that puck back. It is not yet at 100% though. Last season I give it a 50% and this season so far maybe 80% or so. Still room left to improve of course but the trend looks right.

Especially as a big time Drai fan it always felt bad when you see your fav player cheating for offense or doing the defensive side of the game only half-hartedly.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Drais positioning has improved quite a bit. Way less out of position, much more engaged defensively and looks determined to get that puck back. It is not yet at 100% though. Last season I give it a 50% and this season so far maybe 80% or so. Still room left to improve of course but the trend looks right.

Especially as a big time Drai fan it always felt bad when you see your fav player cheating for offense or doing the defensive side of the game only half-hartedly.

I think both Connor and Leon will also improve their two-way game if the scoring depth of the Oilers improves.
As long as those two are basically the entire Oilers offense, they may feel the pressure to focus on their offensive game first and foremost. Thus they are more prone to cheat for offense and neglect some of their defensive responsibilities.

This year could be a step in the right direction for the team and as Neal and hopefully Nuge and some others step up, it will allow Leon and Connor to play a more well rounded game.
That they seem to play a more structured system under Tippett is also helping, I guess.

Reactions: nally

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
What a player, that October should quiet anyone expecting a major "regression" from last year's totals and season.

Edit: Not sure where he ends up this year, but he's on pace for 70 goals and 146pts over a whole season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Porkleaker

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
What a player, that October should quiet anyone expecting a major "regression" from last year's totals and season.

Edit: Not sure where he ends up this year, but he's on pace for 70 goals and 146pts over a whole season.

No question about Drai, he's a monster! And the thing is, I'm sure McDavid still isn't 100% so when he gets going that line will probably be the deadliest in the NHL.

Chelis Chili

Proud HFB member since 21 years [sic!]
Dec 26, 2002
Hockeytown
Draisaitl (7 G in 5 GP) can set a career high with a goal in a sixth straight game. The last Oilers player to post a goal streak of six or more games was Jimmy Carson in 1988-89 (Nov. 23 – Dec. 4, 1988: 12 G in 7 GP). Draisaitl is one of four players to post a five-game goal streak in 2019-20, with Derick Brassard holding the only other active run.

Draisaitl%20-%20Media-03114708.png

ChokeOnOil

Lambs to Lions
Feb 11, 2007
Edmonton
Thought you guys might enjoy this quote from Calgary Puck:

Being totally honest, I think Draisaitl is comparable in ability to Monahan.

So no, I don't think he is capable of carrying a 1st line on his own with replacement-level players, although he might be able to carry a 2nd line in a pinch.

And yes, I think he is being carried to a large extent, because I don't think he is a 50 goal scorer (or even a 40 goals scorer) unless he is getting buckets of ice time with a Hart Trophy candidate.

I've seen some funny stuff there over the years, but comparing a Top 5 player in the league to Sean f***ing Monohan LOL

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Thought you guys might enjoy this quote from Calgary Puck:

I've seen some funny stuff there over the years, but comparing a Top 5 player in the league to Sean ****ing Monohan LOL

I'm not surprised. I don't read Calgary Puck, but I'll assume it's comparable to Flames fans on Twitter. Get a load of this clown who claims Lindholm is better than Draisaitl:

Chelis Chili

Proud HFB member since 21 years [sic!]
Dec 26, 2002
Hockeytown
DRAISAITL SCORES 14TH GOAL OF THE SEASON, REACHES 30-POINT MARK
Oilers forward Leon Draisaitl scored his 14th goal of the season to become the second player to reach the 30-point mark in 2019-20 (14-16—30 in 18 GP). Draisaitl became the fifth different player in franchise history to score as many goals through the team’s first 18 games in a season and first in 20 years.

Draisaitl_Media-09120110.png

* Draisaitl also became the first Edmonton player to reach the 30-point mark in 18 or fewer games since Wayne Gretzky in 1987-88 (10-23—33 in 13 GP). Gretzky entered his 13th contest with 28 points that season and collected 3-2—5 against the Rangers to eclipse 30.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
DRAISAITL SCORES 14TH GOAL OF THE SEASON, REACHES 30-POINT MARK
Oilers forward Leon Draisaitl scored his 14th goal of the season to become the second player to reach the 30-point mark in 2019-20 (14-16—30 in 18 GP). Draisaitl became the fifth different player in franchise history to score as many goals through the team’s first 18 games in a season and first in 20 years.

Draisaitl_Media-09120110.png

* Draisaitl also became the first Edmonton player to reach the 30-point mark in 18 or fewer games since Wayne Gretzky in 1987-88 (10-23—33 in 13 GP). Gretzky entered his 13th contest with 28 points that season and collected 3-2—5 against the Rangers to eclipse 30.

Kurri had 19 and he never had McDavid to feed him the puck. Who did Anderson have?? Gretzky as well. None of those guys got to play with Connor McDavid. They all had to do it with no real help as it seems that there are two states in hockey: With McDavid and without McDavid. Draisaitl would barely be a second line center without McDavid. I mean, look at his breakaway goal on Friday. That never happens if McDavid is not sitting on the bench drawing all the attention from the Devils.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
His goals are all gravvy to me. Draisaitl is an elite playmaker and I never expected him to score more than 20-25G.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
@Fourier
nice sarcasm. But for real, who've feeded Selivanov?! :D It was a surprise to see him in this elite list!
Doug Weight and Roman Hamrlik . I was also surprised to see him on that list. But he was helped by a 4 goal game vs Chicago during that streak. He also got 2 more in game 19 so he will be tough for Leon to catch in the 19 game list.

Weight was a great playmaker.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
His goals are all gravvy to me. Draisaitl is an elite playmaker and I never expected him to score more than 20-25G.
This point seems to get lost a lot. His passing ability is sublime. The problem is that if Toby Reider can't finish it does not show up on the stat sheet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad