Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl - 2019 All-Star

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I wonder what Steven is up to these days...how hilarious will it be if Draisaitl not only wins the Art Ross (and possibly Hart) and the Oilers make the playoffs while Coyotes miss the playoffs too? That'll be so sweet I'll probably get diabetes.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
2012 vs 2020. I remember him lighting up the youth leagues in Germany, now the NHL. :D

Uk2nZjg.jpg

Yeah, I first saw him in the 12/13 season in the WJC and immediately came away impressed. Been a fan ever since and I was so happy when the Oilers drafted him. What a gem.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Also worth noting is that Draisaitl is now at 0.9951 career PPG in the NHL (414 points in 416 games) so if you round that number up he's at 1 PPG. Pretty impressive considering he's only 24 and the start of his career was pretty rough. Will be interesting to see where his career PPG lands when he's done. Where will he be compared to a guy like Crosby for instance? Will he be in the company of some all time greats? What it looks like currently with PPG for players who played at least 800 games:

Elite Prospects - NHL Stats All-time totals

Obviously you'd have to adjust for different era's, level of scoring etc but it'll be very interesting to see just how high Drai can go. The sky is the limit and I think his game will age like a fine wine. One of the most cerebral players in the game, doesn't rely on speed at all to be successful and score points. He could produce at a high level into his late thirties.

Reactions: Oilhawks

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Also worth noting is that Draisaitl is now at 0.9951 career PPG in the NHL (414 points in 416 games) so if you round that number up he's at 1 PPG. Pretty impressive considering he's only 24 and the start of his career was pretty rough. Will be interesting to see where his career PPG lands when he's done. Where will he be compared to a guy like Crosby for instance? Will he be in the company of some all time greats? What it looks like currently with PPG for players who played at least 800 games:

Elite Prospects - NHL Stats All-time totals

Obviously you'd have to adjust for different era's, level of scoring etc but it'll be very interesting to see just how high Drai can go. The sky is the limit and I think his game will age like a fine wine. One of the most cerebral players in the game, doesn't rely on speed at all to be successful and score points. He could produce at a high level into his late thirties.

Totally agree with this. He isn't dependent on speed, he's all size and skill so I don't think you can't look at Joe Thornton as a comparable.

I can see 40 year old Leon Draisaitl in the league, still producing. I mean the resemblance is uncanny: both had a shitty 1st year in the NHL before gaining strength and popping off in year 4.

Thus, I think as long as he avoids injury it's not unrealistic to say he plays 1500 games and gets well over 1100 NHL points.

Either way, he will go down as the greatest German hockey player ever and likely one of the best to don the Orange and Blue.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Totally agree with this. He isn't dependent on speed, he's all size and skill so I don't think you can't look at Joe Thornton as a comparable.

I can see 40 year old Leon Draisaitl in the league, still producing. I mean the resemblance is uncanny: both had a shitty 1st year in the NHL before gaining strength and popping off in year 4.

Thus, I think as long as he avoids injury it's not unrealistic to say he plays 1500 games and gets well over 1100 NHL points.

Either way, he will go down as the greatest German hockey player ever and likely one of the best to don the Orange and Blue.

Yep, Thornton was the guy I had in mind while writing that post. I can definitely see Drai having a similar career.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The latest Hockey News has an article comparing Eichel and Draisaitl. The author has the two essentially rated as a dead heat but eventually gives the nod to Leon. But to show you how bad THN has deteriorated in that article he mentions that Draisaitl has to work very hard to be even an average NHL skater.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Draisaitl sucks.:popcorn: Marner is way better.:laugh:

Product of McDavid.:nod: Totally overpaid.:sarcasm:

That about covers it, the mods can now close this thread.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
The latest Hockey News has an article comparing Eichel and Draisaitl. The author has the two essentially rated as a dead heat but eventually gives the nod to Leon. But to show you how bad THN has deteriorated in that article he mentions that Draisaitl has to work very hard to be even an average NHL skater.
Not sure who wrote that one but....Had you seen the article about Parros and the time for change in there by Ken Campbell? He started off ok, but then made sure to bring up an elbowing incident by Leon on Krug as one of the two examples (the other being Corry Perry). I don't even recall that incident. They just have that eastern bias.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Not sure who wrote that one but....Had you seen the article about Parros and the time for change in there by Ken Campbell? He started off ok, but then made sure to bring up an elbowing incident by Leon on Krug as one of the two examples (the other being Corry Perry). I don't even recall that incident. They just have that eastern bias.

Not sure how you can claim "Eastern bias" for bringing up as examples something that actually happened.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
What would the narrative be here if we picked Bennett and he busted like he did now and Draisaitl and Gaudreau turns into the top two scorers in the NHL? Would the excuse be, typical oilers ruining a top pick and now the flames are making us eat it.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Draisaitl sucks.:popcorn: Marner is way better.:laugh:

Product of McDavid.:nod: Totally overpaid.:sarcasm:

That about covers it, the mods can now close this thread.

Actually the better comparison is Matthews. Matthews is better.

And Leon can't even drive his own line...you forgot that one ;)

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
What about the Lady Byng?
L.D has 16 minutes in penalties and over 100 points?
Sounds like a winner to me.

Not that it’s my favourite trophy and all but if J.Goudreau can win it, during the same year he was fined for diving (which proves he was warned previously) Drai should at least be a candidate.
He may have quite the trophy haul this season.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
What about the Lady Byng?
L.D has 16 minutes in penalties and over 100 points?
Sounds like a winner to me.

Not that it’s my favourite trophy and all but if J.Goudreau can win it, during the same year he was fined for diving (which proves he was warned previously) Drai should at least be a candidate.
He may have quite the trophy haul this season.
The Byng feels like the selke in the sense that it's mostly based on reputation.

I think it was 2016/17 when klefbom played like 5 minutes more per game than most of the other candidates, only had 6 minutes in penalty time (lowest of any Dman besides Gunnarsson who missed 20+ games, and only 2 minutes more than the winning forward who played 10 less games), while also having by far the hardest zone starts of all other top candidates, only for him to barely finish 5th.

Honestly, every trophy that takes "votes" from media members is kind of a joke. They hype them up to mean something, meanwhile people act like the lindsay is a throw in when it's actually voted for by the people who play the game.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The Byng feels like the selke in the sense that it's mostly based on reputation.

I think it was 2016/17 when klefbom played like 5 minutes more per game than most of the other candidates, only had 6 minutes in penalty time (lowest of any Dman besides Gunnarsson who missed 20+ games, and only 2 minutes more than the winning forward who played 10 less games), while also having by far the hardest zone starts of all other top candidates, only for him to barely finish 5th.

Honestly, every trophy that takes "votes" from media members is kind of a joke. They hype them up to mean something, meanwhile people act like the lindsay is a throw in when it's actually voted for by the people who play the game.

The Lindsay is going to be interesting this year.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
The Lindsay is going to be interesting this year.
Indeed. I feel like Connor, Leon, and Mack could all have a really strong case. I’d have to assume Drai takes it though if he wins the scoring race. I’m sure they’re all really tough to play against, but going with the guy who lit the entire league on fire from start to finish is probably a safe bet.

Reactions: Cloned

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Not sure how you can claim "Eastern bias" for bringing up as examples something that actually happened.
He probably had 15 similar hits to this and many worse to choose from, but just happened to pick an oiler on a play where Krug played the very next shift.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
He probably had 15 similar hits to this and many worse to choose from, but just happened to pick an oiler on a play where Krug played the very next shift.

You're much too sensitive if this bothers you.

Also, thought you didn't even remember it happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad