Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl - 2019 All-Star

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Draisaitl has just entered God-Level.

Team has scored 60 goals (1 goal was awarded for a shootout win that doesn't count as a "real goal").

Drai now has 36 pts on those 60 goals... giving him an offensive contribution percentage of 60%.

That's a level... if he can keep that up (which admittedly would be extremely difficult over the course of a full season)... that would represent a level of offensive contribution essentially VERY rarely seen before in the NHL.

We are talking Gretzky/Lemieux levels of offensive contribution... and even then the highest contribution rates I could find were the years Lemieux scored 199 pts in 76 games (2.61842 pts per game) and his team scored 347 goals in 80 games that season. (4.33750 goals per game). That works out to a contribution rate of 57.35% of the raw goals and if you go by pts per game (accounting for games missed due to injury)... 60.37%.

Lemieux also had his year where he scored 160 pts in 60 games (2.66666 pts per game) and his team scored 367 goals in 84 games that year (4.36905 goals per game)... which works out to a points per game contribution rate of 61.04%

So as far as I can see, using pts per game rates... no player other than Lemieux has achieved a 60% contribution rate in the past 40+ years (likely no other players put up those 60% rates even if I looked back further in history to the 60's, 50's, 40's etc).

Draisaitl likely cools off somewhat... but even over the course of a quarter of a season, his offensive contribution rate so far is special indeed.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Draisaitl has just entered God-Level.

Team has scored 60 goals (1 goal was awarded for a shootout win that doesn't count as a "real goal").

Drai now has 36 pts on those 60 goals... giving him an offensive contribution percentage of 60%.

That's a level... if he can keep that up (which admittedly would be extremely difficult over the course of a full season)... that would represent a level of offensive contribution essentially VERY rarely seen before in the NHL.

We are talking Gretzky/Lemieux levels of offensive contribution... and even then the highest contribution rates I could find were the years Lemieux scored 199 pts in 76 games (2.61842 pts per game) and his team scored 347 goals in 80 games that season. (4.33750 goals per game). That works out to a contribution rate of 57.35% of the raw goals and if you go by pts per game (accounting for games missed due to injury)... 60.37%.

Lemieux also had his year where he scored 160 pts in 60 games (2.66666 pts per game) and his team scored 367 goals in 84 games that year (4.36905 goals per game)... which works out to a points per game contribution rate of 61.04%

So as far as I can see, using pts per game rates... no player other than Lemieux has achieved a 60% contribution rate in the past 40+ years (likely no other players put up those 60% rates even if I looked back further in history to the 60's, 50's, 40's etc).

Draisaitl likely cools off somewhat... but even over the course of a quarter of a season, his offensive contribution rate so far is special indeed.
He flipped a switch last season and hasn't looked back. I noticed early in pre-season last year that his shot accuracy, power, and one-timer looked much better than in the past and it's shown in his goal scoring to go along with his playmaking that was already elite.

65-76-141 in 102GP since the start of last season all while improving his defensive play significantly this year and continuing to be a good face-off man. Absolute monster.

Reactions: nally and Aerrol

Chelis Chili

Proud HFB member since 21 years [sic!]
Dec 26, 2002
Hockeytown
* Draisaitl extended his point streak to 10 games (9-11—20) to become the sixth Oilers player to record three or more double-digit point streaks (also:14 GP in 2018-2019, 11 GP in 2016-17). Wayne Gretzky leads the franchise with 21.

EJO4jsmWwAAUUXz.jpg

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The steps forward he has taken remind me of the way Messier upped the ante on his game. Strangely. Messier did it by moving from wing to center while Draisaitl has gone to a degree in the opposite direction. But at the same time watching him play this year even over last he looks more and more like the center on his line.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
So he's now at 41 pts on 66 total team goals. That's 62.1%...freaking insane, especially since it's like 1/4 of the way into the season.

Reactions: nabob

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
It is kind of funny how perception completely changes. The team is winning right now, so it's considered special that Draisaitl and McDavids team point shares are historically high.

Team goes on a little losing streak and it's horrible that Draisaitl and McDavid's point shares are high.

I think it's more impressive that in a year where scoring is way, way up so far, he's outpacing other superstars. It might not last, but... Is there any indication at all that he's gotten any lucky points? He has 14 even strength goals and nobody else in the whole league is in double digits.

Last edited:
Reactions: nabob and Aerchon

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It is kind of funny how perception completely changes. The team is winning right now, so it's considered special that Draisaitl and McDavids team point shares are historically high.

Team goes on a little losing streak and it's horrible that Draisaitl and McDavid's point shares are high.

I think it's more impressive that in a year where scoring is way, way up so far, he's outpacing other superstars. It might not last, but... Is there any indication at all that he's gotten any lucky points? He has 14 even strength goals and nobody else in the whole league is in double digits.
Draisaitl found the near McDavid level, he's not coming back from there. This is the player he is now and the Oilers are so much better for it.

That a fair point in the share, and more depth help will do wonders, but the team is playing better defensively and on special teams, so they've limited their chances of just falling into a streak of losses. Hopefully it can continue, the winning, and getting some depth scoring will make this team very scary.

Reactions: nally and McCanovin

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

I'm not sure Draisaitl will ever get the accolades and respect he deserves.

I think he is legitimately the best player in the league so far this year. Conner currently a very close #2 and only slightly more talented.

But his name has yet to be really mentioned as the best player, currently, in the game/world.

His play in junior, where he lead his team in points by a significant margin, did not get the prestige you would think. German factor?

His memorial cup run was ridiculous. Best player in the WHL period including McDavid imo. Draft +1 versus draft but still. Kinda overlooked.

He had a monster training camp and somehow got demoted.

His play with Hall was sublime and many attributed it to Hall, who was actually struggling at the time.

I really hope Draisaitl continues to work hard and grow. If he actually has another growth in the offseason like he has been year to year he could actually surpass McDavid if he hasn't already.

I've known for a long time he would be great but he has surpassed my expectations and hopefully continues to surprise everyone.

41 points in 21 games in today's NHL plus a great 2 way game should be talked about by every hockey pundit in the world. Should be the #1 story right now. Wow. Just incredible.

Panthera

Sep 25, 2017
I wonder if he wins the Art Ross, will people still try to insist he's a product of McDavid and isn't all that special on his own?

JayE

Sep 24, 2016

His PP scoring is actually kind of lagging, so if his 5v5 shooting % drops (which it will), he could conceivably pick up the slack on the PP and maintain something near his current goal scoring rate. Pretty crazy.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
It's not mentioned in here but Draisaitl's goal against New Jersey last week moved him past Ehrhoff for the 3rd most points by a German all time. His 5th assist last night moved him past Uwe Krupp for the 4th most assists. At this rate he'll easily be 1st after next year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad