Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl - 2019 All-Star

Discussion in 'Edmonton Oilers' started by Zaddy, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Zaddy

Zaddy Nah

Last thread had over 1k posts.

Continue the discussion here.

2. Zaddy

Zaddy Nah

14 points in 12 games, 0.50 GPG.

The 2nd line with Reider and Chiasson has looked really good so far.

A little bit of chemistry and individual play styles that actually mesh well together goes a long way. Rieder's speed and passing combined with Chiasson's speed and finishing has really complemented Draisaitl nicely and allowed him to be the focal point and 'line driver' (as everyone keeps talking about).

Also as an aside, Caggiula did more in 1 game with McDavid than Yamamoto did in half the season on that line. Not even McDavid could 'elevate' him and make him produce. Then there's Lucic who has 1 goal in his last 29 games I believe and only 2 assists in the last 11 games despite playing 14-17 minutes a night roughly. If he were to keep that pace over 82 games he'd end up with 15 points on the season. Yet, somehow, Draisaitl was expected to produce with these two guys on his line.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    5 14 6 1, Duke74 and CycloneSweep like this.
  3. GMofOilers

GMofOilers Registered User

But but 5v5 but, if, if, if

4. CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep Registered User

What? He was playing bad 5v5 before and he has definitely gotten much much better with this current set of linemates.

5. Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl Civilized Worm

Small quibble but 7G/12GP is .585 and a torrid 48 goal pace. Its damn good considering he played several games with coolers.

Remember the comments just a week or two ago that Draisaitl only ever produced with elite linemates? Odd how quickly those people disappear when the fallacy again gets dispelled. But we'll here it again the moment the line gets cold.

I still think there will be a lot of up and down times. As much as I like Rieder, like most journeyman wingers he has up and down times. Times when he struggles more. His current trouble is scoring. He's had some chances but mostly deferring. With Chiasson seems clear he's worked on his shot a lot but this percentage (like Draisaitls) is unsustainable. Pucks are just going in now. The deficit in his play is in puck control and handling. Chiasson is not a very good passer. Drai's better setups will come from Rieder or D.

Before people get too excited this is still a Chia version scorched Earth 2nd line, and its great that Drai is able to make it look good. These are at least complimentary players that are helpful.

MisterD and Oilers 322 like this.
  6. Little Fury

Little Fury Registered User

He was carried by his linemates last night. The dish on the set up for Chiasson's goal was sublime, but I saw Drai bad for most of the game. Picked it up in the third, but was killing plays and turning the puck over a lot.

7. Zaddy

Zaddy Nah

Haha, goes to show how toast my brain is after 5 hrs of sleep :laugh:

Yup. Definitely not counting on this to keep up forever, but nonetheless it's impressive what they've been able to accomplish so far considering neither Chiasson nor Rieder are exactly established top-six NHL guys or anything. None of them have ever scored 40 pts even. I think it goes to show just how little Drai needed to get going. People saying he can't produce without elite players when in fact he's making it work with two career 3rd liners. All he needed was some guys who were able to support the play and have some finishing ability. Lucic and Yamamoto weren't able to do either of those things.

Drivesaitl likes this.
  8. Zaddy

Zaddy Nah

I didn't watch the entire game but in the 1st period Drai had multiple sweet setups and could've easily had 2-3 pts in that period alone with the right bounces.

9. Drivesaitl

Exactly what I saw. What his over joyed linemates would have seen. You can see even the overjoyed expressions on Rieder and Chiasson. That they, and their agents are probably wetting themselves at the prospect of potentially landing with a Center of this quality, for this length of time. Indeed this is why as a journeyman player you would even take a flyer on an attempt here because you know that on a roster lacking starting topsix depth that theres a chance you could end up having a really good role.

In that way Chiasson has gone from an often benched and scratched Capital, only there on a PTO. To a goal scorer here getting several great feeds a night and having the best personal days of your hockey life right here. (Team experience was obviously climactic with SC last season but that was a team experience, and Chiasson was only a bit part in that) Suddenly he's scoring a mess of goals and looking like a kid in a candy shop. For Rieder I would say any chance at playing with Draisaitl is definitely why he is here and its nice for him to get occasionally rewarded with the opportunity.

These games are the best of times for players like Rieder and Chiasson and they play like they know it.

Similarly Caggiulia is invested in ensuring that his stint with McD is as long as possible. Hopefully Cagg can keep something rolling. He fit in well last night.

Jamin likes this.
  10. Del Preston

Del Preston Registered User

Beast.

snipes likes this.
  11. Jamin

Jamin Registered User

Im not sure I get the jeering because it seems obvious to me he is playing way better then he was to start the season.

The posters saying he had more to give were right as he has upped his play at 5v5.

12. Drivesaitl

If I dare say everybody should know the player has fairly unlimited immense talent. The rebukes to defend the player from false claims that they were overpaid, dependent, junk, was mere reaction to intentional misinformation regarding the player. So applauding the distortion for wanting to be wilful distortion is odd.

13. snipes

snipes Registered User

Drai will never get the respect he deserves.

So glad he’s on our team.

14. Drivesaitl

as @oXo Cube stated in the last post of the previous thead;

"8 points and +7 in his last 6 games.

It's almost like everyone that was freaking out was being hilariously short sighted. "

That's why the freaking out about a star player was so sublimely ridiculous. Its as if people actually go short term mad and entirely forget all the skillsets of a player. That is only dormant at times, not gone...

oXo Cube likes this.
  15. Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil English is Overrated, I Score Goals

He might be playing the best hockey of his young career right now.

5 14 6 1 and snipes like this.
  16. Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil English is Overrated, I Score Goals

IMO both sides were right, he wasn't looking all that hot in preseason or to start the year in spite of being a point a game. Now that he's rolling, the sky is the limit for him.

5 14 6 1 likes this.
  17. KlefDown

KlefDown Dying of Thirst

Some players always start off slow and that's ok.
    Wait till he gets in mid-season form. He is a killer and he will kill.

18. nabob

nabob :]

Yeah his compete level has done a complete 180 since the start of the season. Great to see.

CycloneSweep likes this.
  19. nabob

nabob :]

Where did the “he always starts off slow” come from? His first couple of years here he started out amazing, he destroyed the rookie camp and preseason. Even last season he was playing well until getting a concussion that took a few weeks for him to get his groove back, which is normal.

I think he was distracted by the Germany games, and all the fan fare/pressure on him.

AM likes this.
  20. KlefDown

KlefDown Dying of Thirst

I never said he starts slow. Just saying that some players tend to and it's ok if they do, its not the end of the world.
    Mid-season form, end-season and playoffs form is what matters.

21. Duke74

Duke74 Registered User

Excellent point. Both Yamamoto and Lucic, Draisaitl's two linemates for at least the first five games of the season, spent extensive time with McDavid late last year and/or early this year. Neither player could piss a drop with McD, so how was Drai expected to carry them?

22. MisterD

MisterD 5-14-6-1

Management
    Nice to see he's back at an even +/-, I think he was -6 not too long ago.

23. Duke74

Duke74 Registered User

"Carried by his linemates?" Wow. That's a new one.

24. McDeepika

McDeepika Registered User

saying draisaitl could play better to start the year would have been thing. Some posters took it far beyond that though and concluded that draisaitl was a product of McDavid and not worth his contract or status on the club.

Glad he is proving them wrong like I knew he would. This is a big center with world class skills, some nastiness who has shown up in big games (playoffs, World Cup).

25. Harcourt Fenton

Harcourt Fenton Registered User

Draisaitl starting slow is sort of a regular occurrence anyway. Not sure why people thought the sky was falling. It helps that he now has functional wingers who can score.