Lemieux vs Barbashev

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
It's not a big deal, it's others who are making this a big deal lol.

I wanted Barbashev, they didn't take him. It's annoying and I don't agree with the decision but I'm not complaining. As I've said I just want to understand the thought process behind the decision to take Lemieux, because I don't see any logic in it. To me, Barbashev is better in every single facet of the game apart from his shot.

Like last year, I didn't understand (still don't) why they took Hurley over Petan. It bugs me but I'm not making a big deal out of it. This just happened to derail into an argument. It's not a big deal and like I said I'll always root for Lemieux since he's a sabres prospect. I'm also warming up to the idea of having a hated line-up with Lemieux,Girgensons,Compher,Zads,etc.. I still would've taken Barbashev.

I'd say the thought process is our scouts had Lemieux graded higher than Barb.

Ball1374

Jun 1, 2008
Nashville, TN
Hurley over Petan was terrible. Some picks like that just make no sense.

I remember Regier said at the time the reason they took a bunch of NCAA guys in 2013 was because of the contract limits at the time; where they felt they didn't have to sign them immediately and let them stew. I didn't see anything wrong with it, especially taking JT at #35. Connor and Bailey were both projected to be longer term prospects, so it wasn't necessarily a bad thing to grab him then. Those 4 picks, including Baptiste are all starting to come together; Nick and JT last year, Bailey this year, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Connor take that jump as a sophmore next year. Would Petan look like an even better pick now? Sure. But hindsight is 20/20, too. I still have faith this will all work out, especially considering we got Carrier and Fasching in that draft too. Provided we finish last this year, which is still highly likely, taking someone like Hurley as a long range prospect in such a deep draft in 2013 still might not be a bad move. Time will tell.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Barbashevs upside = great
Lemeuix's upside = good

Although we may get a good player. We probably missed out on a 60-70 point player.

I understand the "hard to play against" thing. And putting ourselves in position to draft McDavid/Eichel. Hopefully those guys will ease that blow of not having Barbashev. Especially when we have prospects like Reinhart, Grig, Girg, Armia, etc.

"Probably"? Just how realistic is that?

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
I remember Regier said at the time the reason they took a bunch of NCAA guys in 2013 was because of the contract limits at the time; where they felt they didn't have to sign them immediately and let them stew. I didn't see anything wrong with it, especially taking JT at #35. Connor and Bailey were both projected to be longer term prospects, so it wasn't necessarily a bad thing to grab him then. Those 4 picks, including Baptiste are all starting to come together; Nick and JT last year, Bailey this year, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Connor take that jump as a sophmore next year. Would Petan look like an even better pick now? Sure. But hindsight is 20/20, too. I still have faith this will all work out, especially considering we got Carrier and Fasching in that draft too. Provided we finish last this year, which is still highly likely, taking someone like Hurley as a long range prospect in such a deep draft in 2013 still might not be a bad move. Time will tell.
Always a crapshoot in the draft i know. Maybe Hurley does take off, but you always throw a risk on those players. If I'm not mistaken Petan put up 120 points his draft year in the WHL. I understand he's a smaller player, but it's not like Hurley is a physical guy either. Seemed like a no brainer.

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
"Probably"? Just how realistic is that?
Kid is a great playmaker, and we now watch hockey in a point inflated league. Assists are handed out like candy on Halloween.

Kid can pot a 15-45 season in the NHL if he peaks no question. Especially being drafted by the Blues? Kid's gonna have a chance to possibly play with players like Oshie, Backes, Tarasenko, Schwartz, Steen, Lehtera, statsny, etc whoever is still around. And that's just on offense.

Can certainly see that happening.

ZeroPT*

Barbashevs upside = great
Lemeuix's upside = good

Although we may get a good player. We probably missed out on a 60-70 point player.

I understand the "hard to play against" thing. And putting ourselves in position to draft McDavid/Eichel. Hopefully those guys will ease that blow of not having Barbashev. Especially when we have prospects like Reinhart, Grig, Girg, Armia, etc.

Barbashev IS hard to play against. That's what makes so little sense to me.

But no way Barb gets 70 points. I seriously doubt it

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Barbashev is definitely the sexy pick and would look great in our prospect pool.

However, Lemieux is going to be a massive pain to play against, and can bring some offense on our future third line.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Barbashev is definitely the sexy pick and would look great in our prospect pool.

However, Lemieux is going to be a massive pain to play against, and can bring some offense on our future third line.

Say what you will about Lemieux, the kid HATES to lose more than almost anyone I've seen in a while. And I know that's one of the traits the Sabres organization prizes these days. He looks he's going to cry sometimes! That is, if he's not doing something stupid like breaking his stick or whatever. I was disappointed with the pick like most on here, but from that angle I can maybe see why they might choose him over Barbashev. That kind of attitude can be infectious.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
Barbashev may go on to have the better career but I think Lemieux is what this team is going to need to go deep in the playoffs....whenever the time comes that we start making the playoffs. Besides, we can't just keep drafting centers. I know you can slide people over, but I like the idea of drafting players that will end up playing the position they were drafted to play.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Barbashev IS hard to play against. That's what makes so little sense to me.

But no way Barb gets 70 points. I seriously doubt it

This.

This whole conversation went off the rails because a few posters were both completely unaware of what Barbashev was as a player, and the idea that people can disagree with one draft selection and at the same time not think management is incompetent. I like Tim Murray a lot so far. This was probably the only move that I found very curious. Barbashev was a better prospect by all reasonably methods of looking at it, except he is Russian. That was how the discussion got pushed up, in regard to not drafting a player like Svenchikov.

Barbashev was the boom or bust pick in that spot. I don't see a likely scenario where Lemieux doesn't make the league as 4th liner, but I also don't see how he will likely become Datsyuk lite, which is what I think Barbashev has the potential to be.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I've avoided this, but it's not hard to figure out. If players are rated relatively equal, you take the North American. It's not that hard to figure out.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Kid is a great playmaker, and we now watch hockey in a point inflated league. Assists are handed out like candy on Halloween.

What on earth are you babbling about here?

Granted, there are more 60 pt players now than in the pre-lockout "dead puck era"....but you're still talking about ~50 players every season that hit 60 points. And of those 50, a quick glance at it tells me that MAYBE 35 of them are regularly on that list.

So you honestly think that Barbashev becomes a top 35 scorer in the NHL PLUS is hard to play against? Which then basically says that he's a top 20 player all-around in the NHL.........

ZeroPT*

I've avoided this, but it's not hard to figure out. If players are rated relatively equal, you take the North American. It's not that hard to figure out.

this is ridiculous on so many levels. Not only that, but basically everyone thought Barbashev>Lemieux.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
this is ridiculous on so many levels. Not only that, but basically everyone thought Barbashev>Lemieux.

Wasn't the talk the Lemieux was higher regarded on draft day, not that I agree with that but Bob McKenzie sure made it seem like teams wanted Buffalo pick to take him and that he was BPA. It's not a surprise to anyone Barbashev was going to put up points this year, he was one of the top producers last year too.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014

Kid can pot a 15-45 season in the NHL if he peaks no question. Especially being drafted by the Blues? Kid's gonna have a chance to possibly play with players like Oshie, Backes, Tarasenko, Schwartz, Steen, Lehtera, statsny, etc whoever is still around. And that's just on offense.

Can certainly see that happening.

A point inflated league? Are you talking about the NHL? You have to be joking....

Do you know how many players reached 70 points last year?

ZeroPT*

Wasn't the talk the Lemieux was higher regarded on draft day, not that I agree with that but Bob McKenzie sure made it seem like teams wanted Buffalo pick to take him and that he was BPA. It's not a surprise to anyone Barbashev was going to put up points this year, he was one of the top producers last year too.

As 1972 mentioned. All the talk was teams were trying to get our pick because they wanted to take Lemieux

I don't recall that. I do recall Barbashev being rated higher in most, if not all major scouting outlets.

I wouldn't be surprised if GM's wanted Lemieux, because he is a valuable player.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
It's a lot easier to talk on a draft show for day two about a kid whose dad is a well known former player than it is to talk about a Russian in the Q. The draft shows don't mean much. Look at their actual games or cross reference draft lists of several major s ccac outing services rather than a tv show that wants to attract viewers.

Bps21*

Lemieux has two tonight. But I think one was on the power play so we know that doesn't count

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad