Lemieux vs Barbashev

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
No it's quite specific to posters who don't know the scoring rate in the Q. Or say that Barbashev is only good for offense. Those comments are super ignorant.

They are right up there with:

"All Lemieux does is score PP goals and bite people"

and

"Lemieux is just Kaleta with better hands."

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
They are right up there with:

"All Lemieux does is score PP goals and bite people"

Hehe reminds me of "All Cris Carter does is catch touchdowns"

The objective of hockey is to score more goals than the opponent. If your players help you do that, you win.

If not, you lose. Trade em, try again.

Simple stuff really.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Hehe reminds me of "All Cris Carter does is catch touchdowns"

The objective of hockey is to score more goals than the opponent. If your players help you do that, you win.

If not, you lose. Trade em, try again.

Simple stuff really.

Or it would let you know that he has difficulty scoring at even strength, an indicator of his lack of NHL offensive skills.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Expressions of frustration at not having points based on facts. Instead more absurd ignorant comments to cover insecure uneducated opinions.
Oh is it? Every comment you have had has been asinine; talk about double standards. Barbeshev and Lemieux is a futile argument because you have ignored the fact that the QMJHL is the higher scoring league that comes with the most disappointing busts so I said he could be the next Daigle. However my judgement will come when they actually play in the NHL and see the role each of them fill on the team until then everything is moot on the argument between the two on who shoulda been picked. I'm tired of hearing the tears for Barbeshev.

ZeroPT*

The Q being high scoring is a total myth. It was 10 years ago. It isn't anymore. And to think Barbashev is only good because he scores is foolish. His all around play and leadership is what makes him so good.

The comparison I gave him was Zemgus Girgensons. He's that type of player. Just a russian version.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Oh is it? Every comment you have had has been asinine; talk about double standards. Barbeshev and Lemieux is a futile argument because you have ignored the fact that the QMJHL is the higher scoring league that comes with the most disappointing busts so I said he could be the next Daigle. However my judgement will come when they actually play in the NHL and see the role each of them fill on the team until then everything is moot on the argument between the two on who shoulda been picked. I'm tired of hearing the tears for Barbeshev.

Citation required

Not what that word means, unless you're literally being ironic (figuratively)

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
if all goes well, James Neal.

Finally someone at least making a point based in reality. I think he can shoot at a Neal level but I don't see the skating or the head for the game that Neal has. Possible but it would require everything in his development going perfectly and him getting a couple new skills.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

You clearly don't know the scoring trends in both leagues for the last decade. Daigle got drafted twenty years ago...

If you want to wait til they are in the NHL to discuss them, fine just be quiet while other people who have informed opinions talk.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
You guys are acting like there's no flaws in Barbashev's game. If that were the case, why was he drafted so low? If Lemieux is anything like his father, then we have a gem on our hands. I would take Claude Lemieux on my team any day of the week, that guy was one of the best agitators to ever play, plus he could put the puck in the net.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
You guys are acting like there's no flaws in Barbashev's game. If that were the case, why was he drafted so low? If Lemieux is anything like his father, then we have a gem on our hands. I would take Claude Lemieux on my team any day of the week, that guy was one of the best agitators to ever play, plus he could put the puck in the net.

Nobody said he was flawless, simply that he is a better prospect. Unfortunately most players who had dads that played in the NHL don't turn into equal players as their dad. Bringing up Claude may be the worst point to bring up in favor of Brendan. Claude won't be playing for his son so his accomplishments are meaningless in this context.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
The Q being high scoring is a total myth. It was 10 years ago. It isn't anymore. And to think Barbashev is only good because he scores is foolish. His all around play and leadership is what makes him so good.

The comparison I gave him was Zemgus Girgensons. He's that type of player. Just a russian version.

A quick search got me this thread from last year:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1598585

The Q is slightly higher scoring followed by the OHL and then the WHL, but the gap is much, much smaller than it was a decade ago.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville

So he's a Russian God?

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
If Lemieux plays 400 games on our third line and chips in 10-15 goals per season while being tough to play against that is a terrific pick.

This would pretty much make him Nick Foligno (before his rise to PPG+ player this year). I'd take that from a second round pick.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Are we still doing the Barbashev vs Lemieux thing?

Oh joy.

It's not like there is a huge gap between the two.

Put down your torches for another 4 to 5 years.

ZeroPT*

Are we still doing the Barbashev vs Lemieux thing?

Oh joy.

It's not like there is a huge gap between the two.

Put down your torches for another 4 to 5 years.

No one is raising torches. It just kinda ticks me off that we didn't take Barbashev, especially since I (and others) were so high on him. Lemieux is part of the sabres organization, I'll root for him until that is no longer the case. I like Lemieux, but I really want to know why we took him over Barbashev that was seen as a better prospect by just about every major scouting organization and most arm chair scouts on HF.

I wonder, if say Svechnikov (my #5 rated prospect, ****ing love the guy) falls to our STL 1st rounder (21-27) do we take him? or are we going to skip on him because he's Russian?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad